Ideal tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 10:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I did a little research on my old lexus:

It was a 2005 ES which has a curb weight of 3472 pounds, Gross weight 4540 pounds (thats the weight if you fully load it with passengers and luggage).

The 2016 ES300h is curb weight 3682 pounds, gross weight 4740.

So the 2 cars are fairly similar, with great overlap in the curb weight > gross weight ranges. yet the recommended tire pressure on the 2005 ES was 30psi I think, maybe even 29, I forget.
For the 2016 ES300h, its 33psi. So I'm thinking the higher recommended pressure now is not a safety issue, but maybe more to make sure buyers get the listed MPG and are'nt disappointed about that, and also a firmer ride which lexus is trying to achieve across most models these days, it seems. .... thoughts?
I had a 2006 ES, and the recommended tire pressure was 29 psi. I think that the main reason why many have concluded that the Generation 6 has a firmer ride is, in fact, the difference between 33 psi in the Generation 6 ES and 29 psi in the Generation 4 ES. Also, the Generation 6 ES, even with the 17 inch wheels, has lower profile tires than did the Generation 4 ES, and that would also lead to a firmer ride.

If I reduced the tire pressure on my Generation 6 ES to 29 psi, I'm confident that the ride quality would be at least as soft as that of the Generation 4 ES.
Old 09-16-16, 11:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The reason for higher factory PSI recommendations is definitely fuel economy. The higher the PSI, the higher the economy and manufacturers are playing a dance between balancing ride and handling and economy in today's environment of CAFE, etc. My 03 ES had a recommended pressure of 29, as did my 98 LS. The later cars all had higher pressures, my LS460's recommendation is 33, as was my GS350's.

I run 30-31 in the LS and did the same in the GS and I find the ride benefit to be substantial. I also have not seen any accelerated wear.

I know some people have complained about newer Lexus cars not riding as well, you hear that complaint about all of them from the LS to the ES. While its true my newer Lexus cars are all tighter handling than my older Lexus cars were, I firmly believe a lot of the reason people feel this way is higher factory tire pressures on the newer cars.

At 30-31 my LS460 rides incredibly well, easily as well as any Lexus product I've ever had. At 33 PSI I definitely feel more imperfections in the road than I did in my older LS sedans.

FWIW...I'd run your ES's at 30-31.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-16-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-16-16, 12:20 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks - I was thinking this - I'm gonna drop my ES back down to about 30 cold pressure,
as per previous post - for unclear reasons that's how it came - but then I raised it to 33 psi and find it harsher.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The reason for higher factory PSI recommendations is definitely fuel economy. The higher the PSI, the higher the economy and manufacturers are playing a dance between balancing ride and handling and economy in today's environment of CAFE, etc. My 03 ES had a recommended pressure of 29, as did my 98 LS. The later cars all had higher pressures, my LS460's recommendation is 33, as was my GS350's.

I run 30-31 in the LS and did the same in the GS and I find the ride benefit to be substantial. I also have not seen any accelerated wear.

I know some people have complained about newer Lexus cars not riding as well, you hear that complaint about all of them from the LS to the ES. While its true my newer Lexus cars are all tighter handling than my older Lexus cars were, I firmly believe a lot of the reason people feel this way is higher factory tire pressures on the newer cars.

At 30-31 my LS460 rides incredibly well, easily as well as any Lexus product I've ever had. At 33 PSI I definitely feel more imperfections in the road than I did in my older LS sedans.

FWIW...I'd run your ES's at 30-31.
Old 09-16-16, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

thanks - I was thinking this - I'm gonna drop my ES back down to about 30 cold pressure,
as per previous post - for unclear reasons that's how it came - but then I raised it to 33 psi and find it harsher.
3 lbs definitely makes a difference. It'll be fine at 30.
Old 09-21-16, 10:35 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Ok, reporting back what I have done. Note to others, if you do what I did, it is technically AGAINST MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS so I am not condoning it officially....

just reporting for information on what I did ...:

I reduced cold (first thing in the AM) tire pressure from 33 psi to 30 psi. I also reset the Tire pressure monitoring system after doing so (not sure if that was really necessary with only a 3 psi change but I did it anyway). The ride is notable softer now. Most small to medium bumps are traversed with a softer feel instead of the hard feel I was getting before. (A big pot hole is of course not fun as it wouldnt be in most cars). So far, I don't see any change to fuel economy. I seem to still be getting approx 37 MPG I think, but time will tell. Maybe at worst it will be 1-2 MPG less than it was at the higher pressure?
Whether my tires will wear faster will remain to be seen in time, but to me that's ok.

just report
3 lbs definitely makes a difference. It'll be fine at 30.
Old 09-21-16, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Glad it helped!
Old 09-21-16, 11:41 AM
Riles
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, reporting back what I have done. Note to others, if you do what I did, it is technically AGAINST MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDATIONS so I am not condoning it officially....

just reporting for information on what I did ...:

I reduced cold (first thing in the AM) tire pressure from 33 psi to 30 psi. I also reset the Tire pressure monitoring system after doing so (not sure if that was really necessary with only a 3 psi change but I did it anyway). The ride is notable softer now. Most small to medium bumps are traversed with a softer feel instead of the hard feel I was getting before. (A big pot hole is of course not fun as it wouldnt be in most cars). So far, I don't see any change to fuel economy. I seem to still be getting approx 37 MPG I think, but time will tell. Maybe at worst it will be 1-2 MPG less than it was at the higher pressure?
Whether my tires will wear faster will remain to be seen in time, but to me that's ok.
I also noticed a large difference in ride comfort when I dropped the tires to 30 psi. When I first got the car I was coming from a Prius so I tried running with high psi but the ride was so harsh. I then lowered it to the manufacturer's specs, and the ride got better. Then I went to 30psi and I'm lovin it. Any lower and the TPMS trips on cold mornings, so I try to stay right around 30.
Old 09-22-16, 01:06 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

theoretically you can reset your TPMS so that it considers 30 your new norm and gives you more leeway.

At my 30 psi, its much softer, but still the ride is tighter/firmer than my 4th Gen ES was. So, while tire pressure and tire size do indeed play a role with the recent Gen firmness, I still think that lexus has deliberately firmed up the suspensions to try to keep in time with the current public's desire for tighter/"sportier" rides...

For me, the ideal would be a bit plusher than my new ES at 30 psi but not quite as floaty as my 4th Gen ES. oh well. can't always have exactly what you want

Originally Posted by Riles
I also noticed a large difference in ride comfort when I dropped the tires to 30 psi. When I first got the car I was coming from a Prius so I tried running with high psi but the ride was so harsh. I then lowered it to the manufacturer's specs, and the ride got better. Then I went to 30psi and I'm lovin it. Any lower and the TPMS trips on cold mornings, so I try to stay right around 30.
Old 09-24-16, 01:02 PM
tagor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything you are saying about tire pressures making a big difference in ride comfort, but so do different tire brands. (and even different tires from the same manufacturer)
For example if you are finding 33 psi cold to be too "firm" on Michelins, it might be just fine with Goodyear, or Toyo.
Old 10-01-16, 12:53 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

I wonder also if ride gets softer and quiter if changing from a V speed rated tire to H?

Originally Posted by tagor
I agree with everything you are saying about tire pressures making a big difference in ride comfort, but so do different tire brands. (and even different tires from the same manufacturer)
For example if you are finding 33 psi cold to be too "firm" on Michelins, it might be just fine with Goodyear, or Toyo.
Old 10-01-16, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder also if ride gets softer and quiter if changing from a V speed rated tire to H?
Wouldn't surprise me
Old 10-01-16, 01:06 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

I'm about to change my tires on our acura RDX. Despite being an SUV, I'm using similar logic as I have been towards Lexus ES...

I'm going to go with the pirelli scorpion verde for the SUV rather than OEM Michelin MXM4 that come on it. However the owners manual recommends V rated. It seems silly to have a family SUV driven on mostly suburban roads and never over 85 MPH with a V rated tire ! (rated to 149 MPH). H rated, with the right load rating, seems perfectly appropriate. Equally silly to me to have an ES 300h required to have V rated tires! GS-F, ok that I could understand!

Wouldn't surprise me
Old 10-01-16, 01:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well just remember that the construction of the sidewall does have an impact on suspension dynamics and handling. The speed rating isn't just for speed. While you're okay probably going from V to H, I wouldn't go below that.

If buying tires locally most shops won't mount tires of a speed rating lower than what came on the car. If ordering from TireRack there's no problem.
Old 10-02-16, 02:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

At my 30 psi, its much softer, but still the ride is tighter/firmer than my 4th Gen ES was. So, while tire pressure and tire size do indeed play a role with the recent Gen firmness, I still think that lexus has deliberately firmed up the suspensions to try to keep in time with the current public's desire for tighter/"sportier" rides...

For me, the ideal would be a bit plusher than my new ES at 30 psi but not quite as floaty as my 4th Gen ES. oh well. can't always have exactly what you want
Yes, new Toyota President Akio Toyoda wanted all Toyotas & Lexiis to have more inspired styling, and more inspired handling when he took over the reigns nearly ten years ago; this has come at a cost to both ride comfort and refinement.
Even if new president had not acted, there is a general trend to using low profile tires for esthetics anyway.

Just keep in mind that lowering the tire pressures causes increased deformation of the sidewalls as they roll, such that there is much greater internal heat build up at high speeds, leading to both greater tire wear, and high speed "blow-outs".

I normally use recommended tire pressures, because I only check my tire pressures monthly; four weeks later, the tires are below the recommended by 2-3 PSI anyway...

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-02-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 08:25 PM
Endzone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised you had trouble with the Primacy MXV4's. I purposely put those tires on my last lexus after reviewing many reviews and had great results with them. I can look it up as to when exactly I put them on - I think it was 4-5 years ago and 40,000-50,000 miles ago.... and I found good longevity. They were just at the time to replace them and part of the reason I traded that car in just a week ago. I can look it up and post back. But I was pleased with how long they lasted in a mixed weather climate, and pleased with their quiet and comfortable ride. In fact, I made sure to get an ES with the same Michelin Primacy MXV4s on it (which I did), rather than a bridgestone or something else.....
I think Primacy MXV4 was the best tire Michelin ever made. I had them on my 2000 Avalon. I couldn't get them for my 2003 Avalon, so I put on Pirelli P7 All Season Plus, and they are also excellent tires.

Quick Reply: Ideal tire pressure?