ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cracking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 04:44 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking noise

I am approaching 5K miles on my 2016 ES350. Enjoying the ride, learning features, basically happy with it.

However, about a month ago I begin noticing a low cracking noise from front window area and later from the rear window. Rear noise is getting louder and mostly occurred when I am turning to or from roads/driveways with uneven surfaces (from mostly higher to about 1" lower).

I understand that it may be because during the summer outside parking, the window sealant was getting dry. But I am not comfortable with it and afraid that that glasses may not be sealed properly and may develop leaks or even fell off.

Especially I am concerned that I did not hear such noise in my son's Infiniti and some other friends cars.

Is that something to worry about? Is this a Lexus quality shortfall? Or normal tear and wear?
Old 09-13-16, 09:23 AM
Lex222
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2015 ES350 has many cracking sounds as well. After my third trip in to the dealer, they replaced the driver and passenger interior door panels and it helped quite a bit, but there are still way too many cracking sounds. It is definitely worse when it is hot outside.

I tried putting silicon grease on the weather sealing on the doors and around the window seals and it made no difference at all, so I don't think it is the windows. Some have had success by putting insulation inside the hinges for the grab handles. I have not found the noises in my car to be coming from there, though.

Tracking these noises down is very difficult so if you figure something out, please share.
Old 09-13-16, 01:57 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I had a similar issue on my GS. It seemed to be coming from the rear but around the headliner when going on driveways. It ended up being something wrong with the sunroof and they had to replace several parts. Definitely take it to the dealer and try to replicate it for them.
Old 09-14-16, 04:22 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely keep you all posted.
So far Lexus also suggested having it inspected by a dealer.
In about 700 miles I will have my first 5K miles inspection and will mention the issue. Will let you know the outcome.
Honestly, I am little disappointed. Lexus should do better qualitywise.
Old 09-14-16, 08:59 AM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a little cracking in my car as well. (2016 3 weeks old) Mine seems to be more akin to the grab handle noise mentioned in other threads. (Or possibly the seat belt height adjuster) For those that suggested insulation around the hinges of the grab handle, how easy is the cover to remove/replace? How is it done?
Old 09-14-16, 10:17 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
For those that suggested insulation around the hinges of the grab handle, how easy is the cover to remove/replace? How is it done?
I think that removing the hinge covers is reasonably easy, but, if you don't know what you are doing or are not careful, you can gouge the plastic cover when trying to pry it off. In other posts, a couple of people have said that they did damage the cover.

Shortly after getting my ES, I put some foam padding around those grab handle hinges, but I didn't remove the covers. Instead, I just compressed the foam and used a thin-bladed screwdriver to work the foam between the cover and the ceiling of the cabin. With just doing that, I haven't heard a squeak or any chatter from those handles in the 3 years or so since I added the foam.
Old 09-14-16, 12:53 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I think that removing the hinge covers is reasonably easy, but, if you don't know what you are doing or are not careful, you can gouge the plastic cover when trying to pry it off. In other posts, a couple of people have said that they did damage the cover.

Shortly after getting my ES, I put some foam padding around those grab handle hinges, but I didn't remove the covers. Instead, I just compressed the foam and used a thin-bladed screwdriver to work the foam between the cover and the ceiling of the cabin. With just doing that, I haven't heard a squeak or any chatter from those handles in the 3 years or so since I added the foam.
I like that idea.....especially since there is no chance of scratching the cover. How big a piece did you use? Looks like you wedged the foam presumable between where I imagine the hinge is and the ceiling?
Old 09-14-16, 01:21 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
I like that idea.....especially since there is no chance of scratching the cover. How big a piece did you use? Looks like you wedged the foam presumable between where I imagine the hinge is and the ceiling?
I squeezed the foam into the space at the lower edge of the hinge cover between the cover and the headliner. If I remember correctly, I started with a piece of foam about 1 inch x 1 inch x 1/2 inch. After putting once piece into that space, I believe that I put in a second piece that was about the same size. The result was that the foam seems to have dampened any movement or noise that might otherwise have come from that area.
Old 09-14-16, 07:43 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

My 2016 also has creaking on the wood and door handles. Guess it's just a Kentucky quality thing. Cause ever other model in the showroom has no creaking. Idk what idiot at Lexus thought it would be smart to move here best selling sedans production to us....
Old 09-14-16, 07:54 PM
Lex222
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imrankh24
My 2016 also has creaking on the wood and door handles. Guess it's just a Kentucky quality thing. Cause ever other model in the showroom has no creaking. Idk what idiot at Lexus thought it would be smart to move here best selling sedans production to us....
my Japanese built 2015 has same problems.
Old 09-14-16, 11:56 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
I will definitely keep you all posted.
So far Lexus also suggested having it inspected by a dealer.
In about 700 miles I will have my first 5K miles inspection and will mention the issue. Will let you know the outcome.
Honestly, I am little disappointed. Lexus should do better qualitywise.
is this a US built car?
Old 09-15-16, 04:58 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

It took me time to figure out where this noise is coming from.
On mine it's definitely the wood trim on my two front door panels. If I gently push along the wood, like dusting it, it makes the sound.
I only have 1600 miles on it so I will ask at the first service.
The following users liked this post:
lawonga (10-06-19)
Old 09-15-16, 05:30 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RKF350
It took me time to figure out where this noise is coming from.
On mine it's definitely the wood trim on my two front door panels. If I gently push along the wood, like dusting it, it makes the sound.
I only have 1600 miles on it so I will ask at the first service.
That's exactly what mine is and door handles.
Old 09-15-16, 05:54 PM
Lex222
Driver School Candidate

RKF350 and imrankh24,

I had the same problem. As mentioned in post above, after three tries, I finally got dealer to hear it (it was undeniable the day I took it out for spin with tech). They replaced both front interior door panels and it has helped, but has not eliminated the cracking. I think there are multiple places in the door area that creak and crack depending on the temperature, the road condition and speed. The replacement door panels helped most with the wood trim/door handle issue, but there are still problems. I'm guessing it is just a crummy design if so many people are having this issue. Hard to believe Toyota cannot figure out how to make a rattle-free car, especially for their Lexus line. It's not like its challenging to make door panels...

I also have some kind of a creak in the driver's side seat, which is pretty intermittent so I'm sure if I bring it in it will never be heard. This one happens when going slow. Sometimes it happens when turning or when the car goes over uneven pavement where the the car will twist (probably not right description, but think of entering a driveway at an angle). There is also a creak in the driver's side door near the front that comes and goes.

My dealer at least outwardly seems to want to help, but these things are intermittent and I'm sure Lexus does not make it easy for them.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.
The following users liked this post:
fscoblete (05-31-17)
Old 09-21-16, 01:51 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dudes, I was going to mention it. I noticed a kind of crackling sound occasionally. I thought it just meant the car needs to be 'broken in', but
at nearly 4k miles, it doesn't appear to be going away.

I suppose you can either get it addressed, or eventually, you learn to live with it.

JL

Quick Reply: Cracking noise