ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cracking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 12:41 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

It's just the cheaper fasteners on the headliner and grab handles. The headliner is pretty much fixed in place by cheap plastic hooks. Nothing they can do, just gotta live with it.
Old 10-07-16, 12:49 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ummm that's a headliner?
Old 10-09-16, 02:05 PM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
is this a US built car?
Yes. From Kentucky
Old 10-09-16, 02:13 PM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Originally Posted by jloftus
I doubt I'll even bother bringing this up w the dealer - I just don't believe it's anything that's 'fixable', and I still love just about everything about the car
anyway.

I'm sure if I brought it in they'd go out of their way to address it: but if it's actually something that's occurring in many places in the car there's
little they can do to completely eliminate it.

The dealer I have for Lexus is so far really great - much better than the dealers I've dealt with for Honda and Chevy. For example, I noticed a few long scratches on the car, and called the salesman. I thought he'd tell me to make an appointment w the body shop. Instead he told me to just come up there any time, and he'd get some rubbing compound and see what he could do.

I went up there the next day, we went out and inspected the car, and he took the rubbing compound and a cloth and rubbed out any scratches we
could see. When I left the car was back to 'picture perfect' appearance.
I am concerned about product reputation combined with the price and my previous BMW situation when my 7 series developed a crack that was leaking right on the electrical module.

In any case when foreign noises developing over the time - this may be symptoms of product integrity. Other factors - summer/winter temperatures, contraction/expansion, etc. can create more serious issues in the future.

Once again, before 4K miles no noise detected, loaner vehicle with 1K miles do not have any foreign sounds.
Old 10-09-16, 02:16 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
Yes. From Kentucky
Ughh mine is too and the wood and handles creek and a couple of rattles. Why the he would lexus do this? Bringing the production of there best selling sedan to the us?
Old 10-27-16, 10:15 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

They probably figure there's more to gain than to lose.

I think probably the best thing to do is try to ignore it. That's what I'm doing. :-)
Old 10-28-16, 06:49 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Originally Posted by jloftus
They probably figure there's more to gain than to lose.

I think probably the best thing to do is try to ignore it. That's what I'm doing. :-)
I definitely would it would have been a Yugo

Going back to dealer November 2nd
Old 10-28-16, 03:57 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This isn't a Yugo, but I'm surprised your BMW would become a problem. Probably best just to have the dealer look at it anyway. Good luck.
Old 10-28-16, 09:51 PM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

Add me to the list. I had no problems the first 7,000 miles of the car. Then about two weeks ago, it made a sound when pulling into the driveway. I originally thought something had fallen from a tree onto my car, but it now makes the sound every time I pull into my driveway. A few days ago, there was also a really loud at night like somebody threw something at my car. I inspected the car really well and didn't find any indication that anything hit my car. I think that the really loud sound may be related to the other sounds.
The sound that I've heard seems to be coming from the headliner area. I have a sunroof so perhaps it is related to that.
Old 10-31-16, 07:14 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Yikes! Our cars are falling apart!

I'll soon be at 7000, so I'll keep you posted if I encounter any new 'cracking' developments.

Possibly hitting a pothole resets something, or gets something loose in the car?
Old 10-31-16, 08:03 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

It's odd - just pulling into a driveway (probably at very low speed too). Someone else mentioned that too.
Old 10-31-16, 08:16 AM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

I think what triggers the sound the most for me is a right turn on an uneven surface, which I'm theorizing puts a little stress throughout the car and probably causes some very slight bending of the frame. My driveway is on an incline, while the road in front of my house is on a decline. When I turn into my driveway, there is more pressure on front passenger's side wheel that could cause a slight twisting of the car. I'd also like to add that the very loud sound that I heard at night sounded like a dent being popped out or like something just hitting the top of my car. I've been hoping that something internal at the top of my car didn't break.
Old 11-01-16, 07:43 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

I got some cracking this morning. It seems sudden temperature changes can set it off. Temp dropped to 32 this morning.

Notice it when I hit bumps especially, but it appears to be coming from inside the car, I think. Probably those wooden thingies again.
Old 11-01-16, 08:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Geez, I read these complaints and guess I'm lucky that my 4 year old 350 has none of this. No grab handle ticking, no "cracking", no rattles. NO RATTLES! Tight as new. I've never been back to the dealer for any complaint other than a scheduled service event. And I'm in Pennsylvania too where it's COLD.
Old 11-01-16, 08:59 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Geez, I read these complaints and guess I'm lucky that my 4 year old 350 has none of this. No grab handle ticking, no "cracking", no rattles. NO RATTLES! Tight as new. I've never been back to the dealer for any complaint other than a scheduled service event. And I'm in Pennsylvania too where it's COLD.
This is what Lexus gets for moving the production of there best selling sedan to the us. And from I know the Lc will be built in Mexico.

Quick Reply: Cracking noise