ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cracking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-16, 07:07 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have the suspicion that there's lots of variation between cars within the same model. That is, two different ES 350s with exactly the same
options/ from same factory, can be different in some ways. People keep telling me it can't be because of 'precision manufacturing'.

It's weird that the loaner is slower on the acceleration.

It's also strange that just driving into your driveway apparently triggered something with the car.
Old 11-29-16, 04:07 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW I also get a creaking noise from the rear, somewhere up in the headliner, when the car goes up a driveway at an angle. This only happens when the rear wheels aren't level with each other. I've applied foam stickers to the doors so I don't think they're the culprit, it's probably the body flexing because the ES is a long and not-so-stiff car. Mine is a 2014 Japan-built hybrid so the creaking sounds more like a design issue than a build quality one.
Old 11-30-16, 06:30 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
Another observation: loaner drives totally different than mine. It does have less options but as far as acceleration - loaner is noticeable slower. It is low grade gas used by customers?
This is more than likely due to the ECM learning curve. Unplug your battery for 10 minutes and you should notice the same thing.
Old 12-12-16, 04:46 PM
Lex222
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
Got my car from a dealer on November 8. They did confirm the sound. Removed headliner and did some thighting in sunroof housing.
Fine. Full of hopes drove home. Pulled on driveway...bammm --same sound "cr-r-a-ack"...

In a couple of days sound heard even when driving over the small potholes.

Took it back to a deler for third time on 11/14. As of today car is stil there. Spoken to a Service Manager on the 15th he promised to call me back in half hour (still waiting).

Lexus started the case and have a person assigned to me. He is contacting dealer and telling me the outcome. So far noise confirmed. What would be the next depends on dealer reply and result of repair.
When called Lexus, person on the phone mentioned that mine was his second call for the day about the same issue (???).

Interestenly that my loaner has twice more mileage (10K) but no noise.

Another observation: loaner drives totally different than mine. It does have less options but as far as acceleration - loaner is noticeable slower. It is low grade gas used by customers?
Did Lexus ever get to the bottom of this?
Old 12-24-16, 08:09 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, folks I just wanted to give you heads up on the situation with my car.
Picked it up yesterday after being at the dealer for the third time. This time I haven't seen my baby for six weeks. After first two weeks, service advisor called and told me that mechanics could not "replicate" the noise after several miles test drive. So I offered my help, came in and drove with the mechanic and pointed to the noise that was there. He agreed and confirmed to the manager upon our arrival to the dealership. And then ....silence....

Got only one follow up call from Lexus suggesting that they haven't heard from the dealer. Fine, I let them take time and tried not to make additional pressure. Was enjoying another loaner (they replaced that slow and dirty ES with ES 300h).

Finally a couple of calls from Lexus and from the dealer with "great" news that car will be ready soon.

It appeared that they have some very seldom parts ordered and misrouted to another place and reorder them again. No more details.

Yesterday when I got invited to pick up my car, I've learnt that Lexus technical experts were involved, noise confirmed and a decision made to replace the entire sliding roof, its housing and cables.

To do that, they lowered headliner and removed rear window.

So far I haven't heard the noise (keeping my fingers crossed).

Feel a little weird that I haven't seen my car for a total of three months but was paying for it.

So here was my story so far.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-16, 08:22 AM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like one more trip to the dealer for this problem will enable you to deploy your Lemon Law.

Actually, it sounds like you could do that now, under the "thirty or more business days" clause.

Last edited by Maljunulo; 12-24-16 at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brn2fish (12-24-16)
Old 12-25-16, 07:10 PM
Brn2fish
Rookie

I want to explore that option but not sure where to start
Old 01-11-17, 08:14 AM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

I brought my 2016 ES350 into Lexus of Austin over the weekend for my 10k service and asked my service advisor whether he has heard of any creaking or cracking noise problems in the ES350. He said he hasn't heard of that issue. I didn't have them try to diagnose the problem in my car, and I'm somewhat worried that they could introduce new problems if they try to fix this issue.
Old 04-28-17, 12:31 PM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

I'm getting tired of the creaking noise coming from the headliner and am going to take it to the dealership. This should be covered under warranty, right?

I also made a 2 second audio clip of what the creaking sounds like when I pull into my driveway. This sound is coming from the headliner area in the rear passenger side of the car. This sound started at about 6000 miles and is getting to be pretty annoying.

http://chirb.it/eqKv4m
Old 04-28-17, 03:19 PM
newyerker
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found that a little music solved all of the creaking noises.
Old 04-28-17, 04:18 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by JimHand00
I'm getting tired of the creaking noise coming from the headliner and am going to take it to the dealership. This should be covered under warranty, right?

I also made a 2 second audio clip of what the creaking sounds like when I pull into my driveway. This sound is coming from the headliner area in the rear passenger side of the car. This sound started at about 6000 miles and is getting to be pretty annoying.

http://chirb.it/eqKv4m
Yeah, that's not normal. I would definitely get that looked at.
Old 04-29-17, 06:03 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

As long as the car under warranty, work with the dealer as much as you can.

Beware of the potential ripoff if you contact Lexus.

In my case, they were very cooperative and attentive dealing with my request regarding Lemon Law.

When it come to repurchasing offer, appears that I will lose approximately $5K in reimbursing rebate and mileage depreciation.

I ended up keeping the car, but dealer was able to fix the noise by replacing entire roof housing
Old 04-29-17, 10:06 AM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like metal on metal. Perhaps some welds in the roof structure have failed. This may be beyond just an annoyance and could be a safety issue. You should insist that they properly diagnose it and show you the fix.
Old 04-29-17, 05:06 PM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zes
Sounds like metal on metal. Perhaps some welds in the roof structure have failed. This may be beyond just an annoyance and could be a safety issue. You should insist that they properly diagnose it and show you the fix.
There was one night when I heard a really loud noise from the headliner while driving, which could have been a weld failing. It sounded like a dent being popped out, but much louder. It also sounded like something hitting the top of my car, but I'm pretty sure nothing actually hit my car.
Old 04-29-17, 09:09 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

If the roof structure has weakened then it may not be able to support the weight of the car if it flips in an accident. Also this will increase stress in the rest of the body and weaken other welds. You did not buy a post accident $2k POS from a wrecking yard but a $45K premium vehicle. You should insist on Lexus taking care of this. If a weld has indeed popped in my opinion you are entitled protection under the lemon law and they should take it back.

I would be surprised if the car is that weak. Toyota builds tough vehicles, so I do not understand..

Quick Reply: Cracking noise