ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cracking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 09:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Geez, I read these complaints and guess I'm lucky that my 4 year old 350 has none of this. No grab handle ticking, no "cracking", no rattles. NO RATTLES! Tight as new. I've never been back to the dealer for any complaint other than a scheduled service event. And I'm in Pennsylvania too where it's COLD.
It is hard to tell if everyone who has posted is experiencing the same noise, but it does seem that the majority of those complaining do have a US built 2016 ES. I know that we are talking about a small sample size, and I know that there have been occasional isolated posts on this board about minor squeaks/rattles with 2013-2015 ES vehicles, but the posts in this thread do raise the possibility, at least, of a relationship between the issue and vehicles built in the US. On the other hand, at least one person who posted in this thread appears to have an ES 300h, and those are still being built in Japan.
Old 11-01-16, 09:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
This is what Lexus gets for moving the production of there best selling sedan to the us. And from I know the Lc will be built in Mexico.
It's my belief that any start-up factory will have issues with product perfection during the first year. This may be the case with Lexus in Kentucky.
Old 11-01-16, 09:11 AM
Lex222
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imrankh24
This is what Lexus gets for moving the production of there best selling sedan to the us. And from I know the Lc will be built in Mexico.
My 2015 ES350 was built in Japan and is a bucket of rattles, creaks, pops and other terrible noises. It's the design, not the place of manufacture. I'm extremely disappointed with this vehicle.
Old 11-01-16, 09:24 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
It is hard to tell if everyone who has posted is experiencing the same noise, but it does seem that the majority of those complaining do have a US built 2016 ES. I know that we are talking about a small sample size, and I know that there have been occasional isolated posts on this board about minor squeaks/rattles with 2013-2015 ES vehicles, but the posts in this thread do raise the possibility, at least, of a relationship between the issue and vehicles built in the US. On the other hand, at least one person who posted in this thread appears to have an ES 300h, and those are still being built in Japan.
Originally Posted by bc6152
It's my belief that any start-up factory will have issues with product perfection during the first year. This may be the case with Lexus in Kentucky.
Originally Posted by Lex222
My 2015 ES350 was built in Japan and is a bucket of rattles, creaks, pops and other terrible noises. It's the design, not the place of manufacture. I'm extremely disappointed with this vehicle.
Dont get me wrong. I love me car, first Lexus and I love Lexus I will not go to any other brand. My dad got this car for as a gift. So I'm extremely greatful. But what's true is true my car does have a couple of minimal rattles, as I think my car was a early production Us car. I'm positive that by now they should be makin Japan quality cars. I'm sure many of you have seen my popping out headlight welll that is a common issue on the early 16 us built ones. Well lucky for me it is a lease so when me lease is up I will be getting the es. And since I'm currently in high school when I do get a job I will be taking over a lease.
Old 11-01-16, 10:34 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I have no creaks or rattles in either of the ES I own. They are silent inside except for the very slight amount of road and wind noise. On a smooth road, my ES300h is so quiet you would think you were standing still.
Old 11-01-16, 12:51 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well even apart from the occasional 'crackling', I can hear the engine when I rev it up.

Sometimes some road noise also.
Old 11-01-16, 06:17 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
I have no creaks or rattles in either of the ES I own. They are silent inside except for the very slight amount of road and wind noise. On a smooth road, my ES300h is so quiet you would think you were standing still.
This is true of my ES 300h as well. Nothing more than the slight road noise. No rattles and closing in on two years. I don't think it's a design problem or all of the ESs would have the same issue.
Old 11-02-16, 07:01 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Well it seems you guys may own a completely different vehicle!

I can definitely hear the engine - not that it's particularly loud. And I can absolutely hear (and feel) the road on my ES 350.

The engine is much more silent than on my previous car (a V6 Accord), but I can't honestly say it's completely silent.
The ES 350 is smoother on bumps going at the slower speeds, it bounces more on them so you don't get the same 'shock' you'd get on
the Accord, however, you do feel bumps: they aren't 'unnoticable'.

And that was also the case w a couple of others I test drove at the dealers.
Old 11-02-16, 07:02 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

I'm wondering if I just got one with tight suspension, or if you guys are kidding yourselves in believing that your ES 350s are 'completely silent';
like 'standing still'. It's just kind of hard to believe. If it's true, that I definitely have a 'unique' model.
Old 11-02-16, 07:22 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
I'm wondering if I just got one with tight suspension, or if you guys are kidding yourselves in believing that your ES 350s are 'completely silent';
like 'standing still'. It's just kind of hard to believe. If it's true, that I definitely have a 'unique' model.
Exactly how i feel.
Old 11-02-16, 07:29 AM
jollick
Racer

The "standing still" was referring to my ES300h since the engine shuts down and even when not accelerating, just cruising, it is very quiet. I can absolutely hear the engine in my ES350 and I like the sound it makes.
Old 11-02-16, 09:20 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

My only major complaint would be the wind noise. Sometimes I check to see that the sunroof is closed all the way. Some cars (not mine) have the double pane front window glass and I wonder if that helps with the noise. No engine is completely silent (unless it's off) but my engine is very quiet. I've even tried to start it when it was already running... Yowza!
Old 11-02-16, 11:22 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Yeh I sometimes can't tell if mine is on for sure. But truthfully, I think the Accord's engine was pretty smooth and quiet on idle. It would make
a hot roaring noise when you really accelerated and started to use more of the 280 HP.

I get wind noise occasionally, but I think my main noise issues come from the choice of tires on the car. They're Goodyears, I think 17 inch or 18,
don't remember. You definitely hear the tires on the highway, and you hear bumps in the city.
Old 11-02-16, 12:58 PM
jollick
Racer

Yeh I sometimes can't tell if mine is on for sure. But truthfully, I think the Accord's engine was pretty smooth and quiet on idle. It would make
a hot roaring noise when you really accelerated and started to use more of the 280 HP.

I get wind noise occasionally, but I think my main noise issues come from the choice of tires on the car. They're Goodyears, I think 17 inch or 18,
don't remember. You definitely hear the tires on the highway, and you hear bumps in the city.
If you have not already done so, be sure your tires are not inflated more than what is recommended on the sticker on the driver's door frame. That can affect ride, not so sure if it would affect the noise though.
Old 11-02-16, 01:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I get wind noise occasionally, but I think my main noise issues come from the choice of tires on the car. They're Goodyears, .
If you have a new ES, it should either have Michelin tires (most likely the MXV4) or Bridgestone Turanza tires. As far as I know, Lexus does not build and ship any of the ES with Goodyear tires.

Quick Reply: Cracking noise