ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Recommended type of car wash and wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 05:01 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Recommended type of car wash and wax

Now that I have a new car, I must stop going to the cheap cloth based automatic car wash places. I know that any brushes and even the supposed "soft cloth" automatic washes can lead to swirls and scratches...

What is the best way to go these days? Clean the exterior via one of the mobile steam cleaning services?

How about for waxing - fine to get a regular wax put on 2-3 times a year? or are these new liquid silica glass coatings any better?
I did not take any of the dealer offered special sealant packages.

ALso, from reviewing past posts, its unclear what is best for leather (I have the Lux package leather). Clearly, the use of solvent based cleansers should be limited as those can be damaging over time. I'll try to keep it clean and just wash with water. But how about conditioner - does it actually help? Or can the seats just be left alone? I am in Southern california but usually can park indoors/under cover.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-08-16, 08:06 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I would check out the automotive detailing forum. The first item is leather care:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/

I think the care will depend some on water availability too. I use a manual pressure washer and a clean shami but I know some in low water areas use a bucket method. I would review the detailing forum and perhaps others from your area can share methods given any potential water restrictions.
Old 09-09-16, 04:03 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

I have tried just about every wax that is available in stores. Most produce a nice shine and a smooth feel for awhile. Nothing out shines, out protects but most importantly out last Zaino Z2.
Old 09-09-16, 05:35 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
Now that I have a new car, I must stop going to the cheap cloth based automatic car wash places. I know that any brushes and even the supposed "soft cloth" automatic washes can lead to swirls and scratches...

What is the best way to go these days? Clean the exterior via one of the mobile steam cleaning services?

How about for waxing - fine to get a regular wax put on 2-3 times a year? or are these new liquid silica glass coatings any better?
I did not take any of the dealer offered special sealant packages.

ALso, from reviewing past posts, its unclear what is best for leather (I have the Lux package leather). Clearly, the use of solvent based cleansers should be limited as those can be damaging over time. I'll try to keep it clean and just wash with water. But how about conditioner - does it actually help? Or can the seats just be left alone? I am in Southern california but usually can park indoors/under cover.

Thanks for any input!
You've opened a whole can of worms here. You'll get as many responses as varied and different as there are members.
So here's my routine:

1- I never go through a wash that touches the car. If desperate, I will go to one of those "Laser shower washes" or use the hand sprayer bay.

2- I use MeGuiar's products exclusively (almost), others like different systems. If you have a question, there customer services techs will have an answer
3- I do use an orbital buffer, I've had no issue with swirls and it does help speed things up
4- ONCE a YEAR I do a complete exterior detail. On a new car 1&2 are not necessary and if needed touch-up paint can be used first
A- Clay
B- MeGuiars #9 scratch & Swirl Remover
C- MeGuiar's #7 Showcar Glaze
D- MeGuiar's NXT2 wax.

Good Luck

Wheel and Tire - MeGuiar's Ultimate Black Tire has worked the best for me. It costs more than I like but lasts longer and looks nice. You have plenty on the market to choose from. the same goes for vinyl protection

Old 09-09-16, 09:58 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Thanks for the answers!
Do you trust the lexus dealerships with their free washes for service customers, or decline those?

Also I didnt realize that there was a detailing forum - I will look there too!
-Boston Snowboarder!

Originally Posted by EJC
You've opened a whole can of worms here. You'll get as many responses as varied and different as there are members.
So here's my routine:

1- I never go through a wash that touches the car. If desperate, I will go to one of those "Laser shower washes" or use the hand sprayer bay.

2- I use MeGuiar's products exclusively (almost), others like different systems. If you have a question, there customer services techs will have an answer
3- I do use an orbital buffer, I've had no issue with swirls and it does help speed things up
4- ONCE a YEAR I do a complete exterior detail. On a new car 1&2 are not necessary and if needed touch-up paint can be used first
A- Clay
B- MeGuiars #9 scratch & Swirl Remover
C- MeGuiar's #7 Showcar Glaze
D- MeGuiar's NXT2 wax.

Good Luck

Wheel and Tire - MeGuiar's Ultimate Black Tire has worked the best for me. It costs more than I like but lasts longer and looks nice. You have plenty on the market to choose from. the same goes for vinyl protection
Old 09-09-16, 10:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Thanks for the answers!
Do you trust the lexus dealerships with their free washes for service customers, or decline those?
Free washes = free scratches
Old 09-09-16, 10:41 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks for the answers!

-Boston Snowboarder!
It can vary from Dealer to Dealer, I trust mine and they have always done a good job.
Old 09-09-16, 04:53 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the answers!

-Boston Snowboarder!

My dealer does a hand wash, I have no issue with him washing my car
Old 09-09-16, 06:57 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
Free washes = free scratches
That is hilarious, and sadly true. My Lexus dealer has a crappy machine and they don't finish drying anything off so you will pick up water spots in addition to the aforementioned scratches. Someone on the RX forum stated they have a sign stating "no car wash please" that he leaves in the car on service visits. Makes a lot of sense to me!
Old 09-10-16, 08:34 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

A soft touch car wash left swirl marks in my paint that I've yet to be able to remove, despite buffing.

Hand wash is probably the best...I make sure my bucket is nice and clean and the sponge...add whatever brand of soap and go at it. I make sure I rinse it really well and dry it with a shamy to remove all the water. Some people will take this to the extreme...seen grates on the bottom of buckets to collect debris...seen multiple sponges. I might use a couple mits, but I just use common sense when putting them in the bucket to collect soap. There is also waterless car soap, but if your car is dirty, I personally wouldn't touch it. There is some great information on YouTube about all this stuff.

If I can't hand wash I'll use a touch less car wash...haven't had any problems with those.

And I generally like to wax my car every other month using carnauba...I've also used some of the newer sealants that supposedly last longer. I've tried clay baring once and I thought it was more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited by Doublebase; 09-10-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-10-16, 06:25 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

The owners manual says that the new cars have a "self restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches caused in a car wash etc".
I guess we should not assume that this coating will actually protect against car wash scratches then!

Originally Posted by Doublebase
A soft touch car wash left swirl marks in my paint that I've yet to be able to remove, despite buffing.

Hand wash is probably the best...I make sure my bucket is nice and clean and the sponge...add whatever brand of soap and go at it. I make sure I rinse it really well and dry it with a shamy to remove all the water. Some people will take this to the extreme...seen grates on the bottom of buckets to collect debris...seen multiple sponges. I might use a couple mits, but I just use common sense when putting them in the bucket to collect soap. There is also waterless car soap, but if your car is dirty, I personally wouldn't touch it. There is some great information on YouTube about all this stuff.

If I can't hand wash I'll use a touch less car wash...haven't had any problems with those.

And I generally like to wax my car every other month using carnauba...I've also used some of the newer sealants that supposedly last longer. I've tried clay baring once and I thought it was more trouble than it's worth.
Old 09-10-16, 09:12 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

The owners manual says that the new cars have a "self restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches caused in a car wash etc".
I guess we should not assume that this coating will actually protect against car wash scratches then!
i have the 2015 so it doesn't carry the same paint claim, but in my opinion, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that claim. Be interesting to hear if those of you with the 2016 cars really feel your paint has those self-healing properties.
Old 09-11-16, 06:07 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
i have the 2015 so it doesn't carry the same paint claim.
I believe that Lexus started to use the self-healing paint on the ES line starting with the 2015 model year.

Supposedly, minor surface scratches in the clear coat will, over time and with exposure to the sun, heal themselves. I haven't, however, seen much feedback from owners of vehicles with the self-healing paint about how well it works.
Old 09-11-16, 07:19 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
I believe that Lexus started to use the self-healing paint on the ES line starting with the 2015 model year.

Supposedly, minor surface scratches in the clear coat will, over time and with exposure to the sun, heal themselves. I haven't, however, seen much feedback from owners of vehicles with the self-healing paint about how well it works.
Interesting. If that is the case, I can't see that my paint is any different from any previous car with clear coat, such as the 2013 RX.
Old 09-11-16, 08:13 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Interesting. If that is the case, I can't see that my paint is any different from any previous car with clear coat, such as the 2013 RX.
I found this article about the Toyota/Lexus self-healing paint.

http://toyotadriverseat.com/products...eal-itself.htm

Lexus started using it about a half dozen years ago on the LS. By now, it is, I think, being used on most Lexus vehicles.

There are some things that owners of cars with the self-healing paint need to be aware of. With the paint that has traditionally been used, minor scratches can be removed with mildly abrasive polishes, but, with self-healing paint, you have to be careful about using even mildly abrasive polishes. Doing so can actually put scratches into the finish, and it can damage the self-healing layer. Care also needs to be taken with regard to buffing the finish. I've also read reports that, with the self-healing paint, if bird droppings and tree sap aren't immediately cleaned off of the finish, the potential for permanent damage to the finish is greater. I've also wondered whether, if paint work is needed on the car, a body shop has the ability to replace the self-healing properties when they are doing the refinishing work. All things considered, I'm not sure whether the self-healing paint is a feature that I really want to have.

Quick Reply: Recommended type of car wash and wax