ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

PVD Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 01:35 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PVD Wheels

Has anyone here used these PVD wheels on their ES? I had some on my Highlander.. They are beautiful, dont pit. like chrome...they have chrome ones as well, but my car is Grey....

https://detroitwheelandtire.com/hol-...-set-of-4.html
Old 08-24-16, 05:49 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

To me they don't look like a good look on an ES.
Old 08-24-16, 05:52 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I'm sure it would depend on the color of the car.. I've had PVD chrome before. It was beautiful, almost got the black chrome, but e excited on the chrome...I just done like silver wheels
Old 08-24-16, 07:49 PM
sanyata
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That'd be an awesome looking wheel on the ES, IMO
Old 09-26-17, 08:27 PM
cafesilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sanyata
That'd be an awesome looking wheel on the ES, IMO
I have black PVD on my ES and think they look amazing. Two years in and they are starting to peel slightly. However, it's only noticeable if you're right on top of them. The picture below is when I first put them on.

Old 09-28-17, 05:27 AM
songone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cafesilver
I have black PVD on my ES and think they look amazing. Two years in and they are starting to peel slightly. However, it's only noticeable if you're right on top of them. The picture below is when I first put them on.

Are those 17's are 18's? I'm thinking of putting these on my 2014 ES.
Old 09-28-17, 06:30 AM
cafesilver
Driver School Candidate

They are 18s. My ES came with 17s. One thing you should know is that when you change the wheel size the odometer does not read 100% accurate any longer. This is because they car is calibrated for the 17 inch wheels at the factory. There is no way to change this and Lexus will not do it for you. Basically the odometer reads about 2-3 mph faster than it actually is. So if it reads 80 mph you actually are going 77-78 mph. This gap gets larger the faster you go. Before I put the larger wheels on I researched how to fix this. There are some elaborate odometer hacks to get the odometer to read more accurate to your true speed but it involved removing almost the entire dashboard and fiddling with the wires inside. Ultimately I decided it wasn't worth it. I've been driving with the larger wheels for over two years and the odometer reading being off these few mph isn't that much of a big deal.
Old 09-28-17, 06:39 AM
songone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are 18s. My ES came with 17s. One thing you should know is that when you change the wheel size the odometer does not read 100% accurate any longer. This is because they car is calibrated for the 17 inch wheels at the factory. There is no way to change this and Lexus will not do it for you. Basically the odometer reads about 2-3 mph faster than it actually is. So if it reads 80 mph you actually are going 77-78 mph. This gap gets larger the faster you go. Before I put the larger wheels on I researched how to fix this. There are some elaborate odometer hacks to get the odometer to read more accurate to your true speed but it involved removing almost the entire dashboard and fiddling with the wires inside. Ultimately I decided it wasn't worth it. I've been driving with the larger wheels for over two years and the odometer reading being off these few mph isn't that much of a big deal.
Thanks...
Great Info...
I'm trying to purchase those exact wheels without trading in my 17's. Hopefully I can find a nice deal.
Old 09-28-17, 06:59 AM
cafesilver
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the trading thing I saw on eBay and other places. I ended up finding a straight sale on eBay for a thousand. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It also let me keep the old tires and wheels. I was able to swap out the TPMS from the old tires/wheels to the new ones so I didn't have to pay an extra $80 for each wheel.

I ended up going with Continental DWS 06 tires. The original tires on the ES were Michelin Primacy mxv04, which are pretty good all season tires. I was able to sell the original wheels with tires to someone locally for a thousand. The original set of Continental DWS 06 tires cost me about $800 for a set of 4. I did the standard rotate every oil change and got 50,000 miles out of them. It's the most miles I have ever gotten out of any set of tires so I was really happy with that. I actually just put new ones on a few months ago, was $800 for a set again.
The following users liked this post:
songone (09-28-17)
Old 09-28-17, 07:05 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Somewhat inaccurate. My ES came with 18" wheels with 225/45R18 tires. The standard 17" rims come with 215/55R17 tires. If your 18" rims use the tires that I referenced, you will see no discernible speedometer difference. The circumference is nearly identical between the two.

Also, all Toyota's speedometers, if not most manufactures, are about 2 to 3 mph off on the low side. Meaning, it reads higher than actual. There are plenty of threads on the subject here.
Old 09-28-17, 07:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Somewhat inaccurate. My ES came with 18" wheels with 225/45R18 tires. The standard 17" rims come with 215/55R17 tires. If your 18" rims use the tires that I referenced, you will see no discernible speedometer difference. The circumference is nearly identical between the two.
Absolutely correct.

The difference in diameter between the 225/45R 18 tires and the diameter of the 215/55R 17 tires is about .12 of an inch. That translates into a circumference difference between the two tire/wheel sizes of less than .5%, and that means that, with the 18 inch wheels, the speedometer reading at 70 mph would only be less than 1/3 mph different from the speedometer reading with the 17 inch wheels.

To add further perspective, the difference in speedometer readings between the two wheel/tire sizes is smaller than would be the difference in speedometer readings between an ES with new tires and one that had tires with about 3000 miles of tread wear.

Last edited by lesz; 09-28-17 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-28-17, 09:20 AM
cafesilver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Absolutely correct.

The difference in diameter between the 225/45R 18 tires and the diameter of the 215/55R 17 tires is about .12 of an inch. That translates into a circumference difference between the two tire/wheel sizes of less than .5%, and that means that, with the 18 inch wheels, the speedometer reading at 70 mph would only be less than 1/3 mph different from the speedometer reading with the 17 inch wheels.

To add further perspective, the difference in speedometer readings between the two wheel/tire sizes is smaller than would be the difference in speedometer readings between an ES with new tires and one that had tires with about 3000 miles of tread wear.
This is not correct. I know it's hard to conceptualize because I had the same problem when I was first told this when I was asking questions about going a size up for my wheels. The overall radius with the tire on the wheel is irrelevant. What is causing the speed difference is that the actual size of the wheel. Now we're talking going 17" to 18", which isn't a lot so it's hard to visualize. Regardless of tire size, the larger wheel makes less revolutions at the same speed as the smaller wheel going the same distance. Because of this, the speedometer thinks the car is going faster than it actually is.

To better visualize, take more extremes. Say you have a 10" wheel and a 20" wheel. For both of them to go 80 mph, the smaller wheel has to make more revolutions per minute. This is how your speedometer is calculating your speed on the display. If it is calibrated for the 10" wheel and you put the 20" wheel on the same vehicle then at the same revolutions per minute of the 20" wheel as the 10" wheel, the speedometer will think you are going faster than you are.

I thought it was crazy too, so I conducted a test with an independent speedometer app on my phone compared to the speedometer in the car. Regardless of how accurate that is doesn't matter since we are experimenting to see if there is a speed difference between the two wheel sizes. The car speedometer acts as the control. When I tested the 17" wheels on my vehicle at 80 mph (car speedometer readout) it read 80 mph on the speedometer app. Then after I put the 18" wheels on the car I ran the same test. With the car speedometer at the same 80 mph the speedometer on the app read 77 mph, a speed difference of 3 mph.

If you google this issue you will find a lot more data and detailed explanations with mathematical reasoning included.
Old 09-28-17, 09:40 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

This is not correct. I know it's hard to conceptualize because I had the same problem when I was first told this when I was asking questions about going a size up for my wheels. The overall radius with the tire on the wheel is irrelevant. What is causing the speed difference is that the actual size of the wheel. Now we're talking going 17" to 18", which isn't a lot so it's hard to visualize. Regardless of tire size, the larger wheel makes less revolutions at the same speed as the smaller wheel going the same distance. Because of this, the speedometer thinks the car is going faster than it actually is.

To better visualize, take more extremes. Say you have a 10" wheel and a 20" wheel. For both of them to go 80 mph, the smaller wheel has to make more revolutions per minute. This is how your speedometer is calculating your speed on the display. If it is calibrated for the 10" wheel and you put the 20" wheel on the same vehicle then at the same revolutions per minute of the 20" wheel as the 10" wheel, the speedometer will think you are going faster than you are.
You're wrong. Wheel size increase is made up for by a shorter sidewall. Circumference is the same with the proper tire selection. Meaning, one rotation equals one rotation with either the 17 or 18.
Old 09-28-17, 09:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I thought it was crazy too, so I conducted a test with an independent speedometer app on my phone compared to the speedometer in the car. Regardless of how accurate that is doesn't matter since we are experimenting to see if there is a speed difference between the two wheel sizes. The car speedometer acts as the control. When I tested the 17" wheels on my vehicle at 80 mph (car speedometer readout) it read 80 mph on the speedometer app. Then after I put the 18" wheels on the car I ran the same test. With the car speedometer at the same 80 mph the speedometer on the app read 77 mph, a speed difference of 3 mph.

If you google this issue you will find a lot more data and detailed explanations with mathematical reasoning included.
I'm going to stick with what I've already said. If the diameter and circumference with the 17" wheels and appropriate tires is virtually identical to the diameter and circumference with the 18" wheels and appropriate tires, the number of revolutions of the wheels per minute (or per mile) will also be virtually identical with each of the two tire/wheel sizes. Thus, it is irrelevant whether the speedometer is based on revolutions per minute. If the diameter and circumference of the two setups is the same, the car's computer does not know whether that diameter is based on larger wheels and lower sidewall height or smaller wheels and taller sidewall height.
Old 09-28-17, 09:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

See this: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunte...n-your-vehicle

Quick Reply: PVD Wheels