ES 350 First impressions and question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 06:18 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ES 350 First impressions and question

Hello Lexonians,

This car is great ! However, a few questions and comments.

- Does it seem like these cars are all to 'low to the ground'? Every time I pull out of a parking lot, if there's even the tiniest incline, it'll scrape, unless I remember to slow it all the way down to 0. Why do they have to make all new cars so low? My previous car was an Accord Coupe, and I swear this car is even lower than that one.

- What package do you need to get the adaptive cruise control? Mine has cruise control, but I don't think it's adaptive. You have to hit 'cancel' then
'resume' to get it back if a car slows down in front of you.

- That voice recognition with the Nav is only of limited use. It simply doesn't understand me, or does something totally off the wall. Only thing I've
found that works well is using it with Directory Assist. You can then save 'Mark' the location for future reference. I do however, like the feature that
lets you automatically avoid busy traffic areas. That's truly been of great help on the highways around Philadelphia, PA area.

- So far the two most useful/practical things for me: The little lights on the mirror that light up when someone's in your blind spot (excellent, now I find I couldn't go without it), and the Pedestrian alert feature when backing up (some dude walked up on me from the right as I was backing out of a parking lot. There were cars parked to the right of me, and he came up suddenly. I was so glad for the warning, allowed me plenty of time to hit the brakes)

John Loftus

-
Old 08-22-16, 07:46 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
Hello Lexonians,

- Does it seem like these cars are all to 'low to the ground'? Every time I pull out of a parking lot, if there's even the tiniest incline, it'll scrape, unless I remember to slow it all the way down to 0. Why do they have to make all new cars so low? My previous car was an Accord Coupe, and I swear this car is even lower than that one.

- What package do you need to get the adaptive cruise control? Mine has cruise control, but I don't think it's adaptive. You have to hit 'cancel' then

- That voice recognition with the Nav is only of limited use. It simply doesn't understand me, or does something totally off the wall. Only thing I've
found that works well is using it with Directory Assist. You can then save 'Mark' the location for future reference. I do however, like the feature that
lets you automatically avoid busy traffic areas. That's truly been of great help on the highways around Philadelphia, PA area.

- So far the two most useful/practical things for me: The little lights on the mirror that light up when someone's in your blind spot (excellent, now I find I couldn't go without it), and the Pedestrian alert feature when backing up (some dude walked up on me from the right as I was backing out of a parking lot. There were cars parked to the right of me, and he came up suddenly. I was so glad for the warning, allowed me plenty of time to hit the brakes)

John Loftus

-
I also find the front to be to low so to take care of that I'll be getting an allfit lip kit but not for the looks just for protection but hey if it looks good that's a win win for me.
Old 08-22-16, 08:10 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Sounds like a good idea. If you happen to be going fast, who knows what you're hitting under there? ;-/
Old 08-22-16, 08:17 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. If you happen to be going fast, who knows what you're hitting under there? ;-/
Yea cause my poor baby has some scrapes
Old 09-21-16, 10:07 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

The Adaptive Cruise Control is part of the Lexus Safety System Plus Package.

The reason you are hitting isn't so much that it is lower,(it my be a small amount) but that the front sticks out further ahead of the wheels. The whole air dam system in the front help improve gas mileage but makes dips more challenging. Take them at an angle when ever possible.

Old 09-21-16, 10:14 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi, and welcome! I'll put my comments after your questions:

- Does it seem like these cars are all to 'low to the ground'? Every time I pull out of a parking lot, if there's even the tiniest incline, it'll scrape, unless I remember to slow it all the way down to 0. Why do they have to make all new cars so low? My previous car was an Accord Coupe, and I swear this car is even lower than that one. - I agree, I think they are lower, at least compared to my 2005 ES. Not sure how much of this may be due to larger wheel sizes. Also as someone mentioned, may relate to how much car is forward of the wheels.

'resume' to get it back if a car slows down in front of you. - It does not come with any particular package like "premium, luxury" - you would have had to get the "lexus safety system plus". If you have adaptive, you have an extra button on the right lower part of steering wheel to adjust the adaptive. You would also have the large black radar unit between your rearview mirror and the glass of windshield which is used for the DRCC and pre collision system. I love the adaptive cruise control! My only wish - that it still ran below 20MPH, like the Tesla one can. Sounds like you are stuck for now - will have to do it the manual way by adjusting your speed up and down using the manual speed adjust.

lets you automatically avoid busy traffic areas. That's truly been of great help on the highways around Philadelphia, PA area. - yes voice recognition is not great. Look in the setup menu - there is an option to "train" the voice recognition. Not sure how much the training helps, but worth a try. I did.

- So far the two most useful/practical things for me: The little lights on the mirror that light up when someone's in your blind spot (excellent, now I find I couldn't go without it), and the Pedestrian alert feature when backing up (some dude walked up on me from the right as I was backing out of a parking lot. There were cars parked to the right of me, and he came up suddenly. I was so glad for the warning, allowed me plenty of time to hit the brakes) - AGREE!

Hello Lexonians,

John Loftus

-
Old 09-21-16, 10:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Hello Lexonians,

- That voice recognition with the Nav is only of limited use. It simply doesn't understand me, or does something totally off the wall.

-
While I've found that the voice recognition for the navigation system doesn't work very well, I have found that voice recognition works much better for finding and setting destinations if I use the "destination assist" from the Enform App Suite, instead of using the the navigation system directly to find and set destinations. The Enform App seems to be able to understand better, and it seems to be able to respond to a wider range of commands. Also, it uses a larger data base than the data base in the car's navigation system, and, since that data base is updated constantly, it is more likely to contain current information than the data base in the car.

Over a year ago, the destination assist became available as part of the (free) Enform App Suite. Before that, I found that the voice recognition of the built-in navigation system was mostly worthless and that directions to destinations were not always the best. Since the destination assist became part of the Enform App Suite, I've found that the navigation system and voice recognition have become much more useful and much more user-friendly.
Old 09-21-16, 12:42 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Bostonsnow and Latchy, yeh I should have gotten the 'Lexus Safety Systems plus' feature. Hindsight is 20-20. I'll have to live with the old fashioned
cruise control for now. BTW, I always have to remind myself to turn Cruise Control 'on' before clicking down for 'Set'. I keep thinking you can
just 'set' it immediately, maybe cause that's how some older cars seemed to work. Plus, it seems like if you 'Cancel' it when coming up on a
car, and then start accelerating, it feels like there's some drag there, until you actually turn CC 'off'. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Lesz, I use Destination Assist, but I don't know if I even have used the 'Enform App Suite'. I just call DA using Voice Recognition via the Navigation
menu, and some (real) lady comes on and asks me where I want to go.
Old 09-21-16, 01:04 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Lesz, I use Destination Assist, but I don't know if I even have used the 'Enform App Suite'. I just call DA using Voice Recognition via the Navigation
menu, and some (real) lady comes on and asks me where I want to go.
That is not what I'm talking about. If you go to the menu on your car and click on Apps, you can go to the Enform App Suite, and one of the available apps is the Destination Assist. If you open that app, you can use it with voice commands to find destinations and set those destinations into the car's navigation system. As I said in my earlier post, the app works much better with voice commands than does the navigation system itself, and it uses a more updated data base than the data base in the car itself. To use the app, you need to have it installed on your cell phone and you need to have the phone turned on and connected to the car.
Old 09-21-16, 01:20 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Oh I see. I guess I should get an iphone.

:-)
Old 09-21-16, 01:27 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Lexus App Suite is available in both iPhones and Android models, download and "Sign In" including VIN of the car.

Cruise control trick, pull the stalk toward the steering wheel while cruising and it will coast without flashing the brake
lights. Raise the stalk to resume.
Old 09-21-16, 01:35 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

The salesman told me he thought the iphones work better with the ES 350. So I've been waiting til I get an iphone.

OK, I guess you mean to Cancel CC. It's still a pain to use on busy highways. I find often I set it to a speed, and that's just when some
dude will slow down to 50 ahead of me. I have to brake, pass, hit Resume, etc. Then I'm in the left lane and it's set on 70, and a pile
of people in the left lane who want to do like 90 come bearing down on me. So I Cancel it to accelerate, go to the right lane, let the
speed demons pass me, then try to reset CC again.....

Old 09-21-16, 01:37 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

They are going 50 in the right lane, and 100 in the left lane....lololol

So I would need a bimodal cruise control, with two settings.....

;-)

Old 09-21-16, 01:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mcomer
Lexus App Suite is available in both iPhones and Android models, download and "Sign In" including VIN of the car.
Just adding to the above quoted post, you only need to sign in once. After that, if your phone is on and connected to the car via Bluetooth, as soon as you open the App Suite on the car, it will automatically connect to the app on the phone and be ready to use.

The salesman told me he thought the iphones work better with the ES 350. So I've been waiting til I get an iphone.
I think that may just be salesperson bull. I've been using my Android phone with the ES for 3 years. They work together seamlessly, and there have been some posts on this board in which people have talked about issues when using iPhones with the ES.
Old 09-21-16, 06:42 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Android phone OS works perfectly for the last 4 years...

Quick Reply: ES 350 First impressions and question