ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Trunk lid lining removal ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 07:09 PM
figmo7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk lid lining removal ES 300h

How do you remove trunk lid lining. I have a dent where some large vehicle dented my trunk lid. I tried suction cups without success. I'm going to have to pound it out. Any suggestions as to removal of trunk lid lining.
Thanks
Old 08-16-16, 09:11 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by figmo7
How do you remove trunk lid lining. I have a dent where some large vehicle dented my trunk lid. I tried suction cups without success. I'm going to have to pound it out. Any suggestions as to removal of trunk lid lining.
Thanks
Use the fork looking end of a hammer and take out the clips.
Old 08-17-16, 02:53 AM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use pick tools. I have a set and they are great for safely removing clips. I removed my trunk liner to get to my hybrid battery pack. But then realized I had to go in from the backseats in order to get to the rear suspension.
Old 08-17-16, 04:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

The best tools for removing interior panels, including clips in your trunk, is a plastic panel removal tool. No damage to the clips and they can be replaced. I picked up a whole set. thin, thick, large, small, at Harbor Freight for about $5.00. Good to have on hand.
Old 08-17-16, 05:53 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by figmo7
Thanks
Before you try pounding it out, I would check with one of the paintless dent removal companies. Also look at this video T-Hotbox PDR dent removal unit

Old 08-17-16, 06:10 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
Before you try pounding it out, I would check with one of the paintless dent removal companies.
+1 to that.

I don't know how much experience the OP has with various dent removal techniques, but, when dent removal is attempted by those without experience, knowledge, and skill, the result can end up being worse than the original damage. Where appropriate, PDR would always be my first choice.

Over the years, I've built up a relationship with one of the guys who does PDR work at many of the dealerships in the area, and, when I need PDR work, I just meet up with him at whatever location he is currently working. Skilled PDR guys can be real magicians. They know how to quickly get access to the areas behind most dents, and they can usually get to the dent without having to remove trim panels. The guy who does my PDR work can flawlessly repair most dents in 10-15 minutes, and he generally charges me as little as $20-30 to remove one or two dents. For that little cost, it just isn't worth it, to me, to spend the time or to deal with the risk of trying to do dent repairs myself.

Originally Posted by jollick
Also look at this video T-Hotbox PDR dent removal unit T-Hotbox PDR dent removal unit - YouTube
The T-Hotbox PDR unit looks pretty neat. I would imagine, though, that, to get perfect results, more skill is required in using it than what would seem to be the case from watching the video. I would also guess that, to get the best results, proper lighting, like the lighting used by the PDR guys, would be needed.

Last edited by lesz; 08-17-16 at 06:21 AM.