ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Do your ventilated seats work properly?

Old 08-08-16, 05:45 PM
qktnpfhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Do your ventilated seats work properly?

Ventilated seats are good option for the hot weather. However, for some reason, Lexus ventilated seat are not working properly.

I know it is ventilated seat not the cool seats but it seems there are still a lot of people who are not satisfied with this option.

Actually, I heard a lot of Lexus owners in South Korea are planning to sue Lexus for this problem. Lexus actually recalled some models but are still not accepting it’s their defect.

An expert diagnosed with a thermometer these are not cool/ventilated seats because there was a not temperature change (Video clips are attracted with English subtitles)

Hyundai genesis model, which is not even premium brand, has better ventilated seats.

Does anybody have this problem in this Forum?

Here is the video clip (English subtitle)

Old 08-08-16, 06:47 PM
crichnikov
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cooling effect is subtle. They definitely blow air and you should be able to tell by leaning forward and hearing the air rushing out. Reminds me of an air hockey table. This car is so quiet i turn my passenger seat off because i can actually notice the sound while i am driving. I bought the car for isolation.

In thicker clothing it is hard to tell they are cooling. Thinner fabrics like polyester more so. The seat cushion seems to have more of an effect than the back rest. At best it sometimes feels like you have the urge to ****. I would like it feel cooler in the lower back area instead. I'd rate them a 4/10, 10 being the best. Although i have only used them in two other cars. I just thought that the cooling feeling would be more pronounced and would justify the three settings. Not sure why you would use low or medium.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickAz (09-23-20)
Old 08-08-16, 07:49 PM
motorchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its effect is indeed very subtle, to put it mildly. It is fine to use once in a while as a 'refresher' if the weather isn't too hot. But last weekend, the outside temperature was well over 90 degrees in where I'm at and the cooling effect was almost non-existent even at the highest setting. If it doesn't do much during a really hot season then there is no point of paying extra to get this feature in the first place.
Old 08-08-16, 08:19 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, they work fine, but you need to know how they work. I have a black UL leather in TX where we have 101F degrees the last two weeks. I leave my car in the sun during the day and after work go into the parking lot and get in the car. With silver shades over the dash, the car is hot but bearable. In my old car, with leather seats, I'd sweat and my back would be wet when I got home. In my 2014 ES, I leave the ventilated seats on speed 3 (0-3) all the time. Now realize the seat speed is dependent upon the A/C speed. If the A/C is running full, then the seat speed at 3 will run full, and, as crichnikov said above, you can hear the whoosh if you lean forward. But, when the A/C slows down and the interior starts to cool, the seat speed, still at 3, will start to slow down--which is why I leave the seat speed at 3 all the time...if the A/C is quiet, so will the seats be. So I get in my car and as I'm driving I'll grab the wheel and lean forward off the seat back just a moment, hear the whoosh, and lean back. Just a few times, mind you. But when I get home (about 20 mins) the A/C is running cool at 76F and I'm not sweating. MUCH improved over normal leather seats in my old car. I'm happy with them, they work "well enough" as "ventilated" seats.
Old 08-08-16, 09:44 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

In our ES300h we normally run on Eco mode. In Eco mode the fans run at slower speeds and when I roll the seat ventilation dial to 3 I really can't feel anything. The only obvious difference is a light fan noise. Our NX300h is the same way. Our previous RX was not a hybrid and we could just barely feel a difference - mostly in the fact that we didn't stick to the seat as much. The Lexus ventilated seats don't seem to do much, but in the hybrids/Eco mode they just make noise (in my experience). I imagine I might get more pressure in normal mode but it just isn't that important to me so I haven't really tried.
Notgrownup (06-05-19)
Old 08-09-16, 04:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by qktnpfhs
An expert diagnosed with a thermometer these are not cool/ventilated seats because there was a not temperature change
He doesn't seem to be an expert, if he used a thermometer in hopes of seeing a temp decrease. These are designed to just blow some air through the cushions. If it's 100 degrees in the car, it will blow at 100 degrees. There are a lot of cars out there with cooled seats. The ES is not one of them. Doing proper research is usually the best way to avoid the unexpected.

Mine work as advertised, so don't see the point in starting/joining a lawsuit.
Old 08-09-16, 05:15 AM
Vegasaurus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

In the IS at least, the fan is too far forward. So instead of blowing on your butt where it would be useful, all the air goes to your lower thigh which is not very useful.
Old 08-09-16, 07:51 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

I thought someone on this forum had made a duct from a plastic one gallon milk jug to direct the air conditioned air from a duct under the seat to the air input on the lower rear of the seat-back. This made a big difference and actually provided a cooling effect.
Old 08-09-16, 04:23 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

The ventilated seats in my 2013 are barely noticeable, but the loaners I have had that are later model years seem to work better.
PatrickAz (09-22-20)
Old 08-09-16, 05:11 PM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

My '14 ES 350 ventilated seats work well. I can feel the slight breeze between my legs (where it counts ) and it keeps my clothes from sticking to the leather on hot days.
My son has a '12 Acura TL and his ventilated seats do not move as much air, compared to my Lexus.
Old 08-09-16, 05:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

Repost of a seat cooling tip. When the A/C is on Auto and it is hot outside the Cold air will be
directed to the upper dash vents. (Heated air in the winter goes to the floor vents) Since the
ventilated (not cooled) seats pick up air from the floor just tap the HVAC Mode Button once to
change off of Dash Vents and now you get both Dash Vents and Floor Vents.
Old 07-20-18, 06:34 PM
Martyryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My leather cracked open after using ventilated seats for short time

i own 2018 Lexus ES and after only using my ventalated seats for short time there are 4- 1” slits in my leather near the center of the seat. I believe it was caused by extremely cold air blowing up on extremely hot seat. I park my car in very sunny area. It looks like the leather became brittle and cracked open. Please call me at 610-357- 8654 if anyone else has experienced slits in your leather. Thanks Marty Ryan
Old 07-20-18, 07:25 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Martyryan
i own 2018 Lexus ES and after only using my ventalated seats for short time there are 4- 1” slits in my leather near the center of the seat. I believe it was caused by extremely cold air blowing up on extremely hot seat. I park my car in very sunny area. It looks like the leather became brittle and cracked open. Please call me at 610-357- 8654 if anyone else has experienced slits in your leather. Thanks Marty Ryan
Is this a warranty item?
Old 07-20-18, 07:59 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Martyryan
This is an odd post. For one, you're under warranty. Secondly, there will not be cold air blowing through your seats when it's hot out. Finally, why are you listing a phone number?
st1800 (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 02:01 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I live in Louisiana.. it was 105 today and I used my ventilated seat feature while running errands.. no it doesn't feel like a/c air, but it does a good job of keeping me cooler.. no complaints on my end.. and in the winter they work great.

Roland

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do your ventilated seats work properly?