ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

outside mirror don't tilt down

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 12:10 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts
Default outside mirror don't tilt down

OK, I think something has finally gone wrong with my 2013 ES 350. To my recollection, when placing the car in reverse BOTH outside rear-view mirrors should tilt down and then return to the previous setting when shifted out of reverse. According to the manual, yes, some of us do read the manual, one must have the mirror adjustment switch in the right or left position, but not in the middle for this to occur. Today I noticed that only the left - driver's side mirror - moved when reverse selected. Is there a setting I'm missing here? I rarely touch the mirrors so am confused. Thanks guys...
Old 08-06-16, 12:28 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no clue why...But I know I always keep it in the middle.. I dont want them to move.. call dealer and talk to Svc Mgr.. He will know
Old 08-06-16, 01:24 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
OK, I think something has finally gone wrong with my 2013 ES 350. To my recollection, when placing the car in reverse BOTH outside rear-view mirrors should tilt down and then return to the previous setting when shifted out of reverse. According to the manual, yes, some of us do read the manual, one must have the mirror adjustment switch in the right or left position, but not in the middle for this to occur. Today I noticed that only the left - driver's side mirror - moved when reverse selected. Is there a setting I'm missing here? I rarely touch the mirrors so am confused. Thanks guys...
Bob,

A couple of random thoughts.

First, yes, you are correct that, if the switch is in the right or left position, the mirrors will tilt downward when the car is in reverse. If the switch is in the center position, the mirrors will remain at their normal angle when in reverse.

Also, I assume that you have tried to manually adjust the right mirror as a way of checking to make sure that the motor is still functioning.

Finally, I recall reading a couple of posts about the mirrors in the past. My memory might be a bit foggy because I prefer to leave the switch in the middle position and not have the mirrors change their angle in reverse, but I think that, if you actually manually adjust the mirrors when the car is in reverse (with the brake on, of course), the car will remember that adjusted position, and that will be the position to which the mirrors will tilt when the car is put in reverse. If that is the case and if, while the car was in reverse, you ever manually adjusted (perhaps, unknowingly) the passenger mirror and ended up putting it into its normal position, that would be the position that was remembered by the car, which would then cause the mirror not to change positions in the future when the car is placed into reverse. So, what you might try is to put the car in reverse (with the brake engaged), manually adjust the passenger mirror to a lower angle of your choosing, and, then, see if, after that, the mirror angled down to that position when the car was put into reverse.
The following users liked this post:
agent1966 (09-20-22)
Old 08-06-16, 01:28 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I think you might be right Les. I'm going out to try what you said and I'll let you (and everyone else) know how I make out. Thanks...
Old 08-06-16, 01:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
Bob,

A couple of random thoughts.

First, yes, you are correct that, if the switch is in the right or left position, the mirrors will tilt downward when the car is in reverse. If the switch is in the center position, the mirrors will remain at their normal angle when in reverse.

Also, I assume that you have tried to manually adjust the right mirror as a way of checking to make sure that the motor is still functioning.

Finally, I recall reading a couple of posts about the mirrors in the past. My memory might be a bit foggy because I prefer to leave the switch in the middle position and not have the mirrors change their angle in reverse, but I think that, if you actually manually adjust the mirrors when the car is in reverse (with the brake on, of course), the car will remember that adjusted position, and that will be the position to which the mirrors will tilt when the car is put in reverse. If that is the case and if, while the car was in reverse, you ever manually adjusted (perhaps, unknowingly) the passenger mirror and ended up putting it into its normal position, that would be the position that was remembered by the car, which would then cause the mirror not to change positions in the future when the car is placed into reverse. So, what you might try is to put the car in reverse (with the brake engaged), manually adjust the passenger mirror to a lower angle of your choosing, and, then, see if, after that, the mirror angled down to that position when the car was put into reverse.
Ha! You nailed it Les. I guess I had adjusted it unknowingly and changed the angle when in reverse. Works perfectly now. Thanks so much buddy.
Old 08-06-16, 01:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Ha! You nailed it Les. I guess I had adjusted it unknowingly and changed the angle when in reverse. Works perfectly now. Thanks so much buddy.
Every once in a while, I get lucky. Glad to hear that it is working.
Old 08-12-16, 07:36 PM
crichnikov
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the manual (or maybe skimmed) and i dont remember seeing this at all. But it works great. Very helpful post
Old 08-13-16, 10:55 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob, good sleuthing and resolution .
Old 08-26-16, 05:35 AM
ShakerAsh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know that it will do that, thanks for the post.
Old 08-26-16, 03:42 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

WOW! I didn't even know the car had this feature. I always left the the **** in the center because I felt that the auto-downward feature in reverse puts the camera TOO low for my taste. I had no idea that it's position can be adjusted!!

Thanks!!