ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Headlight sticking out a lot

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 02:11 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Headlight sticking out a lot

I just made a thread with the speaker rattle on my 2016. I also have another concern. On my driver side the headlight sticks out an abnormal amount and the car is brand new no accident of anything but on the passenger side it is perfectly flush. Should I get this checked out? The first 2 pics are the passenger side and the last three are the driver light c
Attached Thumbnails Headlight sticking out a lot-photo821.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo814.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo133.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo649.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo762.jpg  

Headlight sticking out a lot-photo2.jpg  
Old 08-01-16, 03:30 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That is not good and yes, I would ask about it. I have to ask though - where was your car made?

Dave Mac
Old 08-01-16, 04:05 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
That is not good and yes, I would ask about it. I have to ask though - where was your car made?

Dave Mac
Take a guess....
Old 08-01-16, 04:16 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Something wrong there. Obviously doesn't fit as it should. Not a good sign...
Old 08-02-16, 01:14 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This one got away from their QA/QC process.
Old 08-02-16, 01:57 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Your car could've been damaged in transport, incident on the dealer's lot where another car backed into it or something, etc. Your car could have been involved in a minor collision and repaired. Look for signs of overspray under the fender, under the hood, does it look like there is a paint line under the hood, does the paint on the bumper/hood/fender not match up 100%? Check the vin tags on the front bumper, hood, and fender, see if they match the vin tag on the cowl.

That's my theory as to the sorry fit on that headlight.
Old 08-02-16, 03:41 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
This one got away from their QA/QC process.
What exactly is that
Old 08-02-16, 03:42 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Your car could've been damaged in transport, incident on the dealer's lot where another car backed into it or something, etc. Your car could have been involved in a minor collision and repaired. Look for signs of overspray under the fender, under the hood, does it look like there is a paint line under the hood, does the paint on the bumper/hood/fender not match up 100%? Check the vin tags on the front bumper, hood, and fender, see if they match the vin tag on the cowl.

That's my theory as to the sorry fit on that headlight.
Where do I locate the tags? And what is the cowl?
Old 08-02-16, 03:43 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

This is something I should be taking seriously right?
Old 08-02-16, 04:10 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

How about the front bumper gap? I'd ask the dealer to fix it. Either the headlight wasn't put in properly at the factory or the car damaged somehow before delivery and the dealer did a bad repair job.
Old 08-02-16, 04:39 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chromedome
How about the front bumper gap? I'd ask the dealer to fix it. Either the headlight wasn't put in properly at the factory or the car damaged somehow before delivery and the dealer did a bad repair job.
Which gap I don't see any? I plan on going to the dealer to take care of this and some other stuff do you know how I should go about this?
Old 08-02-16, 05:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Without being able to look at the car from a variety of angles, I couldn't guess for sure what is out of proper alignment. It could be the headlight, the bumper, the fender, or all 3. My guess would be that the problem is not the result of a quality control issue. Instead, I think that it is more likely that it is the result of either a collision or, at least, minor damage while the vehicle was in transit or at some other point after it left the factory.

If it was my car, before going to the dealer, I would first go to an independent body shop and ask for their assessment of the situation. A skilled body shop technician would be able, easily, to figure out what the problem is, and he/she would also know what to look for and where to look to be able to know immediately whether any paint work has been done on the vehicle or if any panels have been replaced. If you do get such an assessment of the situation from a body shop before going to the dealer, it would be more difficult for anyone at the dealership to try to convince you that nothing is wrong.

Note that, from time to time, new vehicles do receive minor damage either in shipping or after they are on the dealer's lot. Such minor damage is repaired, and, most often people buy those vehicles without ever knowing that there was damage or a repair. But all of that assumes that a high quality and proper repair was done.
Old 08-03-16, 03:57 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

That is a misaligned headlight housing for sure. I wouldn't expect a defect that great to be able to leave a lexus assembly line. Its a guess but it's probably because it's been worked on after it left the factory.

I agree with one of the posters -- that is to have a body shop take a look to see if they that area has been repaired in the past. Once you get info, then you can talk to the dealer and see what they can do about it.
Old 08-03-16, 06:07 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate everyone's feedback I visited the dealer yesterday and made an apt for the repairs. But the salesperson is a extremely close friend so I will talk to him about a possible accident at the dealer or transport damage and see what he says. Luckily it is free repair.
Old 08-16-16, 10:20 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I appreciate everyone's feedback I visited the dealer yesterday and made an apt for the repairs. But the salesperson is a extremely close friend so I will talk to him about a possible accident at the dealer or transport damage and see what he says. Luckily it is free repair.
Tell us how you made out at the dealer with the misaligned headlight housing.

Quick Reply: Headlight sticking out a lot