ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Headlight sticking out a lot

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 05:09 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Adding to what I said earlier about having the car checked out by an independent body shop, even if I was willing to live with the misfitting parts (which I woldn't be able to do), I would want, for another reason, to know if any collision repairs had been done on the car.

Behind both of the bumpers, there are shock absorbers made of a styrofoam-like material. The purpose of the shock absorbers is to reduce or eliminate damage that extends beyond the bumpers from a minor collision. If those shock absorbers have been damaged, their ability to do what they are designed to do can be reduced, and even minor impact can result in more damage beyond than bumpers than what should happen. So, I would want the peace of mind from knowing that the shock absorbers were still intact and capable of functioning properly.

Thus, I think I would want to know for sure that the parts that don't fit right on your car are not the result of impact to the bumpers. It may well be that there was never impact damage to your car and that the car was just the victim of un-Lexus-like quality control, but, at a minimum, I would want to be able to be sure that the car had never been hit.
Old 08-16-16, 09:09 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Adding to what I said earlier about having the car checked out by an independent body shop, even if I was willing to live with the misfitting parts (which I woldn't be able to do), I would want, for another reason, to know if any collision repairs had been done on the car.

Behind both of the bumpers, there are shock absorbers made of a styrofoam-like material. The purpose of the shock absorbers is to reduce or eliminate damage that extends beyond the bumpers from a minor collision. If those shock absorbers have been damaged, their ability to do what they are designed to do can be reduced, and even minor impact can result in more damage beyond than bumpers than what should happen. So, I would want the peace of mind from knowing that the shock absorbers were still intact and capable of functioning properly.

Thus, I think I would want to know for sure that the parts that don't fit right on your car are not the result of impact to the bumpers. It may well be that there was never impact damage to your car and that the car was just the victim of un-Lexus-like quality control, but, at a minimum, I would want to be able to be sure that the car had never been hit.
Thanks for the advice I will definitely get it checked out this week and update everyone. This is my first Lexus and I'm loving it so far. But this issue is kind of upsetting being its a 50k car.
Old 08-17-16, 07:27 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Agree, that is totally unacceptable!!!!!
Think the idea of checking with a body shop to get an opinion of previous work, poor assembly, would be a most excellent thing to do...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

Old 08-23-16, 06:07 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

So this car has definitely been in a accident I don't even need to go to the shop.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight sticking out a lot-photo655.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo990.jpg  
Old 08-23-16, 06:11 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your bumper has looked like that from the beginning?
Old 08-23-16, 06:22 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brent1944
Your bumper has looked like that from the beginning?
Yea I guess so.
Old 08-23-16, 06:25 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought u took it to the dealer? How could ANYONE say theres not a problem?.. You need another dealer.. Id still take it to body shop to find out the extent of the damage..
Old 08-23-16, 06:30 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brent1944
I thought u took it to the dealer? How could ANYONE say theres not a problem?.. You need another dealer.. Id still take it to body shop to find out the extent of the damage..
Yea me and me dad are going today.
Old 08-23-16, 06:33 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

I guess I'll state the obvious: Did no one notice that the bumper was damaged when accepting the car at delivery? Seeing this damage explains - IMO - why your headlight is not seated correctly. Although the white paint on the bumper looks somewhat insignificant, apparently the car took a pretty good hit to dislodge the headlight assembly.

I think at this point the train has left the station. The dealer would put the damage on you or any other person driving this car. You need body work done to correct this.
What a shame that it wasn't seen at delivery as the dealer was on the hook for the damage at that point. Good Luck Imrank...
Old 08-23-16, 06:34 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
I guess I'll state the obvious: Did no one notice that the bumper was damaged when accepting the car at delivery? Seeing this damage explains - IMO - why your headlight is not seated correctly. Although the white paint on the bumper looks somewhat insignificant, apparently the car took a pretty good hit to dislodge the headlight assembly.

I think at this point the train has left the station. The dealer would put the damage on you or any other person driving this car. You need body work done to correct this.
What a shame that it wasn't seen at delivery as the dealer was on the hook for the damage at that point. Good Luck Imrank...
The white paint your seeing is my reflection.
Old 08-23-16, 06:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
OK, looks like damage in the photo. Sorry...
Old 08-23-16, 06:43 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

With the reflections in the pictures, it is really difficult for me to know just what I'm looking at or to be able to tell what the "signs of damage" are.

In any case, I still feel (quite strongly) that the best course of action would be to get an evaluation of the situation from a body shop before going back to the dealer. Without doing that and without some documentation from a body shop as to what is going on, I suspect that it is likely that the dealer is only going to continue to deny that anything is amiss. Further, even if you get "proof" of damage from a body shop at some later point, it will be more difficult to get the dealer to back off on its assertion that there is anything wrong because they will have to admit that they had previously been lying to you when they claimed that there is nothing wrong.
Old 08-23-16, 06:46 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
With the reflections in the pictures, it is really difficult for me to know just what I'm looking at or to be able to tell what the "signs of damage" are.

In any case, I still feel (quite strongly) that the best course of action would be to get an evaluation of the situation from a body shop before going back to the dealer. Without doing that and without some documentation from a body shop as to what is going on, I suspect that it is likely that the dealer is only going to continue to deny that anything is amiss. Further, even if you get "proof" of damage from a body shop at some later point, it will be more difficult to get the dealer to back off on its assertion that there is anything wrong because they will have to admit that they had previously been lying to you when they claimed that there is nothing wrong.
The damage is underneath the light the bumper is sticking out. You can see the clips. There is a body shop right next to the dealer that's where I'll go.
Old 08-23-16, 07:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

The damage is underneath the light the bumper is sticking out. You can see the clips. There is a body shop right next to the dealer that's where I'll go.
Okay. I can see what you are talking about. I would specifically ask the body shop to look for signs that the bumper has been refinished.

As I've said earlier, without seeing the car in person, I can only guess what has happened, and my guess could be completely wrong, but my guess is that there was some damage and that the dealer, instead of repairing it properly, did a quick and less than satisfactory repair. One possibility is that they could have spotted in a paint repair without even removing the bumper. If they did that, a body shop professional should be able easily to see signs that that was the case. A proper repair of that kind of bumper damage would be to completely remove the bumper and to start by assessing the damage. If the bumper cover was permanently deformed or if it had any cracks, even ones only visible after the bumper was taken off the vehicle, the bumper cover would have needed to be replaced. Even if the bumper cover was still usable, there would likely be other damage behind the bumper to things like clips or the bumper shock absorber. Any damaged parts behind the bumper cover would need to be replaced. If they are not replaced, not only would there be likely problems with alignment of various panels, lights, etc., but there would be potential, if the shock absorber has been damaged, for the bumper not to function as it is supposed to in the future. Again, my guess would be that the dealer did a quick, incomplete, and less costly repair than what should have been done.
Old 08-23-16, 03:53 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Well I went today got everything fixed and the culprit was something no one would ever guess.... But anyways
Attached Thumbnails Headlight sticking out a lot-photo285.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo639.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo235.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo632.jpg   Headlight sticking out a lot-photo143.jpg  

Headlight sticking out a lot-photo378.jpg  

Quick Reply: Headlight sticking out a lot