ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Navigation

Old 07-29-16, 08:16 AM
mss1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Navigation

I have ES 350 2016 with built in navigation. I have been using it for past three months. In my experience
Good:
Screen is bright, even in sunlight.
Voice guidance is loud and clear, and it prompts on time.
On Screen Map display is very good, and split screen feature is helpful.

Bad:
-- POI database is outdated. Couple of weeks ago, I searched for Subway on one of our trip, and it took us to a house. On other occasion, it took us to a Staples store, which was closed three years ago.
-- Route mapping is also not efficient in many cases compared with Google Maps or Waze. Many a time, it will take us via a longer route.
-- There is no way to mute the voice guidance volume. there is a volume button on the screen, but it doesn't do any thing. (on camry, it has vol +/- on screen button)
--Entering an address is a pain using joystick, and even if you use voice entry, half of the time, it can't fathom the street names. (may be it only understands Japanese English).
-- no easy way to view turn by turn navigation instruction ( or at least i dont know how to ).

What are your experiences?

(in a way, the whole Multimedia system and interface on Lexus is poor and clunky, IMHO. I have expected better. I will list out the issues on some other day. )
Old 07-29-16, 08:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by mss1234

Bad:
-- POI database is outdated. Couple of weeks ago, I searched for Subway on one of our trip, and it took us to a house. On other occasion, it took us to a Staples store, which was closed three years ago.
You will get better and more up-to-date information when searching for points-of-interest/destinations by using the Enform app Destination Search, instead of using the data base that is in the navigation system on-board the car. Since that (free) Enform Destination Search option became available about a year ago, I've found it to be a significant improvement over the data base on-board the vehicle, and I've also found that using the Enform app with voice search for destinations is significantly more straight forward, easier to use, and more accurate than using voice search with the on-board data base.
Old 07-29-16, 10:19 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
You will get better and more up-to-date information when searching for points-of-interest/destinations by using the Enform app Destination Search, instead of using the data base that is in the navigation system on-board the car. Since that (free) Enform Destination Search option became available about a year ago, I've found it to be a significant improvement over the data base on-board the vehicle, and I've also found that using the Enform app with voice search for destinations is significantly more straight forward, easier to use, and more accurate than using voice search with the on-board data base.
You can also do use Destination Search on the Enform app on your phone before getting in. Just click Save the destination, then go in the car and click on Saved Destinations on the Enform App Suite. You might need to press Update list, but it should only take a couple seconds.
Old 07-29-16, 12:19 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup, it pretty much is garbage, simply put. All in-car navigation systems are junk.

Nothing beats Google Maps for constant updates of new roads, POIs and up to date traffic information for commutes. The way to go is to use Apple CarPlay I guess? Hook up the phone to the car screen.
Old 07-29-16, 12:35 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I find entering addresses by voice works better than I thought it would. I speak slowly and clearly the way an elocution teacher or drama teacher would approve of.

As for bringing me to wrong place, only really once. I had the address of a conservation area correctly input, but it wanted to take me to a shopping mall.
Old 07-29-16, 03:54 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HouseB328
Yup, it pretty much is garbage, simply put. All in-car navigation systems are junk.

Nothing beats Google Maps for constant updates of new roads, POIs and up to date traffic information for commutes. The way to go is to use Apple CarPlay I guess? Hook up the phone to the car screen.
I agree with you that all in-car navigation systems are terrible except when they integrate Google Maps (Audi). The problem I have with Apple CarPlay is that it will force you to use Apple Maps, which sucks almost as much as in-car navigation systems. I've had multiple instances where Apple Maps took me to dead ends, streets that don't exist, and weird routes that took longer. I don't trust Apple Maps.
Old 07-29-16, 06:53 PM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

I recently was in rural Texas about an hour and a half from my Austin home. The navigation system gave a route that I thought might be interesting so I tried it to see where it would go. I think it added about 40 minutes to my trip. The route was scenic as it brought me down small farm roads with no traffic at all. Unfortunately, it would have been a lot quicker for me to just go on the route that I knew and that involved highways instead of roads that were barely paved.

Within Austin, I think it does an o.k. job, but nowhere as good as Waze.
Old 07-29-16, 07:59 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I agree with you that all in-car navigation systems are terrible except when they integrate Google Maps (Audi). The problem I have with Apple CarPlay is that it will force you to use Apple Maps, which sucks almost as much as in-car navigation systems. I've had multiple instances where Apple Maps took me to dead ends, streets that don't exist, and weird routes that took longer. I don't trust Apple Maps.
Oh right, I forgot they force you to use Apple Maps. Agreed, Apple Maps is waaaaaay behind Google Maps. That's a shame, as I wanted to use Google Maps in my future cars by just hooking up the phone. Audi's new interactive map system is great, but I think even that requires a subscription (another monthly charge, how many monthly charges do we all have already!)
Old 07-30-16, 06:16 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Hmmm. I thought that Waze was just an app that notified you of traffic jams and delays due to accidents, fallen trees, etc. I didn't know one could use it as a navigation device.
I had installed it but not used it.
Old 07-30-16, 09:00 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bc6152
Hmmm. I thought that Waze was just an app that notified you of traffic jams and delays due to accidents, fallen trees, etc. I didn't know one could use it as a navigation device.
Well you need to set a destination in order for it to tell you of upcoming incidents. It is my favorite navigation app at this time since it usually gets me to my destination the quickest, and it pretty accurate on where police are.

Whoever integrates Waze into their head unit will officially win the best OEM Nav system, in my book.
Old 07-30-16, 10:41 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Bob- I use Waze or Google map for traffic and navigation. They both work well, imho.
Art
Old 07-30-16, 12:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Thanks Art and Dchar. I'll give it a try.
Old 07-30-16, 01:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

OP, you can press and hold "Mode" on the left steering wheel spoke to mute the music when
trying to hear directions. Press the small speaker icon on the lower map to repeat verbal
instructions. Repress Mode to return to music. Note: short jabs of Mode will change to a
different Mode, just like it says. Press long enough to Mute/unmute.

Bluetooth transfers verbal, Lexus Enform App Suite transfers data. LEAS is free forever
just download the App and enroll, e-mail/password/VIN. Add a third computer to enter
Navigation 1) Built in Lexus database, 2) Lexus Destination Assist (free for a year then
subscribe) and 3) Lexus Enform App Suite allows "Destination Search".
Old 08-01-16, 08:54 AM
mss1234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
OP, you can press and hold "Mode" on the left steering wheel spoke to mute the music when
trying to hear directions. Press the small speaker icon on the lower map to repeat verbal
instructions. Repress Mode to return to music. Note: short jabs of Mode will change to a
different Mode, just like it says. Press long enough to Mute/unmute.

Bluetooth transfers verbal, Lexus Enform App Suite transfers data. LEAS is free forever
just download the App and enroll, e-mail/password/VIN. Add a third computer to enter
Navigation 1) Built in Lexus database, 2) Lexus Destination Assist (free for a year then
subscribe) and 3) Lexus Enform App Suite allows "Destination Search".
what i want to do is to mute navigation volume, and let music playing. It was easy to do with on screen volume +/- button on screen of Camry navigation.
Old 08-01-16, 08:59 AM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

used the in-car nav about 5 times after i bought the car and haven't touched it ever since. I don't even have it on most of the time. Google maps/waze is the way to go. Faster, reliable, up to date and most importantly, it routes around real time traffic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Navigation