ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

New ES 350 front grill concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 12:26 PM
Island
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ES 350 front grill concerns

Greetings again fellas! I was just wondering how many of you love the new look of the grill design of your 350's? Seem people either love it or hate it. I for one love the new full grill wrap that makes the car look very elegant from the front imo

My concern is the potential for damage to the grill and plastic chrome trim from rocks and other road debris. I am a bit ocd and hate thinking about getting some rock chips or scratches on my new es350

I have heard people going with the clear bra by 3m but wrapping the hood and certain parts just protects those areas. As soon as you get a ding on the grill area or some area not covered by the 3m wrap, the bra I would assume would be moot once your car sustains damage.

As I get older and more mature I try to live with the old saying that nothing remains perfect forever. I just hate getting dings and damage to my new car.

I am very careful driving but my wife will drive 5 feet behind a big rig unless I remind her about the potential for getting blasted by rocks. Anyway was just wondering what U guys have done or used?
Old 07-24-16, 03:15 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I have had my 2016 ES for 7 months today and I don't think the grill looks any better today than the day I got it - I just don't like it. In addition to the appearance I was worried about damage which hasn't been a problem but I am always thinking about it and often find myself an embarrassing distance from what ever is in front of me after parking. On the plus side I believe I have to say the new grill does give the car a more contemporary look if that is important to you.

And in any case it is a great car.

Dave Mac
Old 07-24-16, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The grill is less likely to be damaged by road debris than a flat bumper surface, I wouldn't worry about it.

I think the new grill makes the car IMHO
Old 07-24-16, 03:44 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I have had my 2016 ES for 7 months today and I don't think the grill looks any better today than the day I got it - I just don't like it.

Dave Mac
I agree. When I first saw the larger re-designed grille on the 2016 ES re-fresh, I thought that it would eventually grow on me, but now, about a year later, I don't like it one bit more than I liked it to start with. To me, it looks like something that belongs on a Ram pick-up. I much prefer the understated classy look of the grille on the 2013-2015 ES. I feel the same way about the other larger grilles that Lexus has been putting on newly designed models. I especially don't like the grilles on many of the F-Sport models. That said, I think that many (not all) of the changes made in the 2016 re-design of the ES are nice improvements.

Regarding protecting the front bumper (regardless of whether you love or hate its look), a clear bra will offer some very good protection, but, yes, if you are going to do it, you really should do so before you pick up those first stone nicks. Also note that the clear bra will protect the portion of the bumper that has the body-colored paint, but it will not protect the grille slats from damage. The best way to minimize all damage is to get into the habit of keeping a good distance between your vehicle and vehicles in front of you.

If you do decide to go with the clear bra, you will find that the price for the product and installation can vary and be in a wide range depending on how much you have covered and what product is used. Generally, for somewhere around $500, what you will get covered in only the front portion of the hood and the front portion of the fenders. If you want the bumper to be covered, it is likely to cost you as much as an additional $900 or more. And, if you want to cover other things, such as the mirrors, leading edge of the roof, etc., it will cost you still more. The reason why the bumper is so expensive to cover is all of the little nooks and crannies and all of the odd shapes that the material needs to be fitted onto. Further, you really should do some research regarding the reputations of different installers in your area. Some are likely to be much better than others.

While it is the case that the front of the vehicle is the most vulnerable part of the car for stone nicks, I've found that I've gotten some small stone nicks on the doors and even on the rear quarter panels either from stones thrown up from my own tires or from vehicles going in the opposite direction on 2-lane roads. So, just protecting the front end of the car isn't going to eliminate all possible damage from stones and other road debris.
Old 07-24-16, 04:20 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

We did the entire nose of our NX after getting some stone damage up high above the bra on our ES. It eliminates that barely visible line entirely but the cost was about $1300 USD. Unfortunately, it doesn't help protect you against the a@#hole that parks his big suburban in the compact spot right next to you in the parking structure at a James Taylor concert. It was so tight we couldn't even get back in the car without pulling out but they obviously didn't have the same issue as they just banged their way out. Sorry. I'm venting. It just happened this week and they left a nice ding in the front fender. I thought I could just have the mask replaced on that fender but there is also a significant ding in the metal. I'm not sure if the paint is also damaged and can't really tell without removing the mask, so I don't know if the PDR is really an option. Probably not worth the cost/trouble but that first big ding always hurts. For the record, it would have completely missed the body side moldings.

Anyway, venting aside, the clear nose mask is wonderful stuff and I will never buy another new car without a complete nose mask (full hood, front fenders and bumper) but they do have their limits. They also cannot cover thin grill elements or the plastic chrome bits. And as I was reminded this week, they don't do much against idiots.
Old 07-24-16, 05:16 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Dissenting opinion here, I think the old grille makes the ES look too much like a Camry. I love the bold look of the new grille and slashed fog light surrounds. I'm getting some vinyl to wrap the upper grille and center bumper panel on my 2014 to make it look more like the refresh.
Old 07-24-16, 06:07 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
We did the entire nose of our NX after getting some stone damage up high above the bra on our ES. It eliminates that barely visible line entirely but the cost was about $1300 USD. Unfortunately, it doesn't help protect you against the a@#hole that parks his big suburban in the compact spot right next to you in the parking structure at a James Taylor concert. It was so tight we couldn't even get back in the car without pulling out but they obviously didn't have the same issue as they just banged their way out. Sorry. I'm venting. It just happened this week and they left a nice ding in the front fender. I thought I could just have the mask replaced on that fender but there is also a significant ding in the metal. I'm not sure if the paint is also damaged and can't really tell without removing the mask, so I don't know if the PDR is really an option.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

My first attempt to deal with the situation would be with PDR. If the dent can be repaired with PDR, I would think that the protective film should move back into the proper shape with it. Worst case would be that, if there is damage to the film, you might have to have that one piece of the film replaced.

Also, your unfortunate experience does bring up a potential (minor) issue with paint protection film. If you ever do have sheet metal damage that requires refinishing of a panel that had been covered with paint protection film, you will not be able to replace the paint protection film until the new paint on the refinished or replaced panel has had adequate time to cure, and that curing time is likely to be at least 60 days.
Old 07-24-16, 09:40 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I waited to let my repainted hood and bumper cure before adding the 3M stuff and it got destroyed by stone chips. Looks terrible. My plan now is to eventually buy one of those prepainted bumpers and add the 3M before I install it. My next vehicle will be getting it from the start.
Old 07-25-16, 05:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
. My plan now is to eventually buy one of those prepainted bumpers.
I would be a bit concerned about taking that approach.

When a body shop paints a bumper, it is often, possibly usually, the case that adjustments need to be made to the paint formula in order to achieve a satisfactory color match. This is especially true with multi-stage pearl finishes, such as pearl whites or the Lexus silver lining metallic color, but it is also often the case even with 2-stage metallic colors.

There are two reasons why such adjustments to the color formula often need to be made. First, even when cars are painted at the factory, there can be slight variations of the same paint color because of variations from one paint lot to another paint lot. Also, though, adjustments in the paint formula might be needed because the plastic-like bumper material can take paint slightly differently from the way that sheet metal does.

With small parts, such as body side moldings, using pre-painted parts can usually work nicely because, if the part is small enough, small variations in color aren't likely to be noticeable. With a large part, like a bumper, even a slight variation in color will stick out like a sore thumb. About the only color for which I'd be comfortable using a pre-painted (large) part would be a non-metallic black.
Old 07-25-16, 10:56 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
I waited to let my repainted hood and bumper cure before adding the 3M stuff and it got destroyed by stone chips. Looks terrible. My plan now is to eventually buy one of those prepainted bumpers and add the 3M before I install it. My next vehicle will be getting it from the start.
Get the 3M clear bra from the start would be best.
Old 07-25-16, 08:43 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I hear you on the paint matching. If it was an insurance job I'd be more cautious. But mine is an 09 and I'm a mega commuter doing about 150 miles a day. I really only want to invest minimally.
Old 07-25-16, 09:03 PM
Cake
Rookie

The new grill is more sporty
Old 07-26-16, 11:01 AM
krieltb
Driver School Candidate

I love the new grill. One of the things that pushed me into the car.
Old 07-27-16, 09:39 AM
UncleMoney
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the new grille. When I see the older models they don't grab my attention like the new ones do. I had given up on this car and when I saw the refresh I was all over it. Three things that were a huge improvement in my estimation: the front grille, the new exhaust, the shifter. I was sold. Or leased rather. Oh, and don't forget the steering wheel w wood trim. So nice, great feel.
Old 07-27-16, 10:12 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Speaking of the wood steering wheel I have the matte bamboo and I can say that it gets a bit less hot on a 110 degree Arizona day - like you can actually get in and grab it without needing medical attention. I, my wife and a young salesman all commented independently on this last September when looking at one on the lot, but I was skeptical. Now, after a few summer months my wife and I can confirm that it is cooler and we are delighted - don't know where the young salesman is.

Dave Mac

Quick Reply: New ES 350 front grill concerns