ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

All Weather Mats

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 01:57 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default All Weather Mats

My new ES350 has Parchment and like a Expresso/chocolate interior.. Do you guys just use the carpeted mats? Which are very nice, but....Ive had Weather Tech ones before but of course not Chocolate colored ones..Any Thoughts?
Old 07-23-16, 03:48 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent1944
My new ES350 has Parchment and like a Expresso/chocolate interior.. Do you guys just use the carpeted mats? Which are very nice, but....Ive had Weather Tech ones before but of course not Chocolate colored ones..Any Thoughts?
Your parchment carpeted mats will deteriorate very quickly due to their color. Since my car was new I use a clear vinyl mat over the carpeted mat and the Lexus all-weather (black) mats in the winter here in Pennsylvania. My Parchment carpet mats look like new...
Old 07-23-16, 03:50 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

My mats are like the carpet. Chocolate color like the trim. its the seats that are parchment...Thanks for the clear idea.. and using the color in winter
Old 07-23-16, 04:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If you just use the carpet mats that came with the car, you are likely to see wear on those carpet mats in as little as a few weeks, especially in the area where your heel rests near the accelerator pedal. It would have been nice if Lexus had made those carpet mats with a rubber insert to protect the area near the pedals.

For years, I've been using Weathertech all-weather mats (not the liners), and I've found them to do an excellent job of protecting the carpets, and they wear well without becoming the dominant thing that you see like with the liners. The Weathertech liners have the big logo on them, but the all-weather mats don't have their logo on them, which I consider to be a positive.

My 2013 ES with the parchment interior has carpets that are a few shades darker than the parchment. I have the tan Weathertech mats, and I think they look quite good. Since they are darker than the parchment, they are a very good color for showing dirt minimally. Even with the darker carpeting that comes with the parchment interior on the 2016 ES, I think that the tan mats would look good, but I know that there are some who have been happy with using the black Weathertech all-weather mats.
Old 07-23-16, 04:09 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

I know i had grey weather tech liners on my pilot with grey interior. it just seems that black would really show up in a chocolate brown floor and trim with parchment seats.. Tan may work
Old 07-23-16, 04:23 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

I Tan may work
Like I said, the 2013-2015 ES with parchment interior has tan carpets that are a few shades darker than the parchment color. I know that the tan Weathertech mats look good with it. While I haven't seen a 2016 ES with the dark carpets and the tan Weathertech mats, my imagination tells me that they would likely look very good.
Old 07-27-16, 09:02 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi Brent. Are you looking for a set of All Weather Mats? I have a brand new set (4 pieces) that came with my Lexus. The dealer put it in by mistake when I told them I wanted carpet mats which they mistaken understood as allweater floormats.

It's yours for free if you want to pay for shipping from CA. They are black.
Old 07-27-16, 09:46 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

OHHHHHHHHHHH man.. I have some on their way already I ordered.....Thanks so much for the offer tho,,
Old 07-27-16, 11:50 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Carpeted floor mats in the car is never a good idea to use for primary purposes. The carpet will wear out so quickly. Imagine using the same 2 ft by 2 ft carpet in your house, and constantly wearing dirty shoes, water etc over it. The carpet also does not do a good job of drying when you are using the car in rain, snow, etc.

I have weathertech in my Odyssey. Bought the Lexus all-weather mats off Amazon for the ES. I like both of them.
Old 07-27-16, 12:07 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Carpet mats in a vehicle should last a very long time, and they are replaceable. These mats do not experience the same type of wear-and-tear as the mats you have on your front door at your house. They are not stepped on. People should not scrub their feet on them to get the dirt off . They are simply floor coverings, to hold up your feet. Its really not the same comparison.

Personally, I think the rubber floormats look pretty ghetto in a luxury car. I've never seen a 4-star hotel with rubber floor coverings. Same for a restaurant. You wouldn't install nice plush carpet in your house and then cover the entire room with plastic protectors. Why do it in a car?

That said, I know some people may require all-weather mats due to weather in their area.

Last edited by azipod; 07-27-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 04:17 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
Carpet mats in a vehicle should last a very long time, and they are replaceable. These mats do not experience the same type of wear-and-tear as the mats you have on your front door at your house. They are not stepped on. People should not scrub their feet on them to get the dirt off . They are simply floor coverings, to hold up your feet. Its really not the same comparison.

Personally, I think the rubber floormats look pretty ghetto in a luxury car. I've never seen a 4-star hotel with rubber floor coverings. Same for a restaurant. You wouldn't install nice plush carpet in your house and then cover the entire room with plastic protectors. Why do it in a car?

That said, I know some people may require all-weather mats due to weather in their area.
I feel the same way. 30,000 miles on my 2013 ES with Parchment and the mats are still good. I just vacuum them every now and then. I ever needed, I will replace them with the the same OEM mats.
Old 07-27-16, 04:20 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Ive ordered all weather ones.. So I may use them for winter cause it snows here. Can switch them in March
Old 07-28-16, 06:18 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Do people really need that much protection on the floor, of a Lexus? As someone said the stock mats are replaceable so just use them, they're paid for after all.
And Weathertech mats...? Come on we're not driving pick ups.
I take my mats out when I do my spring clean up and only put them back when getting the car ready of winter. Just vacuum the floor occasionally and don't spill your 64 oz cups of soda.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

Old 07-28-16, 08:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Some of you must be doing something different with your foot than what I do because, whenever I've tried to get by without the all-weather mats on a new vehicle, within weeks I can see wear starting on the carpets or carpet mats, especially in the area where my right heel rests by the accelerator pedal, and, within 6-8 months, the carpet has worn through completely.

While I'm not a fan of the look of the liners, I don't find the all-weather mats to have an objectionable look, and, besides protecting the carpet from wear, it is nice to know that, if I do spill something or if I unknowingly enter the car with mud on my shoes shoes, or if a passenger does the same, clean up is quite simple.
Old 07-28-16, 08:19 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Using the heel and toe method of driving for accelerator and brake, the carpeted mat quickly wears where your heel pivots. It does wear unusually quickly and as Les stated, is irreparably damaged in short time. I'm also reluctant to donate about $150.00 to Lexus for new mats if I don't have to.
I'm not a fan of Weathertech as I don't want to see their name each time I get into the car. I did the next best thing AFAIC and that is I put a clear plastic mat over the carpet mat for protection. Works fine.

Quick Reply: All Weather Mats