Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 01:10 PM
fpb1980
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering question

Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 es 300h.

To make a long story short, i had to have my front bumper replaced in May due to an accident but there was no mechanical damage to the car. They did an alignment to the car just to be safe.

Earlier this week, I'm not sure why I noticed that the steering was a little tight/heavy when turning left or right sometimes. It wasn't a major challenge just a little more strength then when driving straight.

Today, I took the car to the dealer and they ran all of the tests and everything came up fine except there was a code that the hybrid battery had been disconnected during the repair while sitting at the shop which created some sort of code that they cleared. The tech mentioned that this may have created the steering issues since the car may have thought their was low power.

After, I did notice it was a little better but still a little tight at times. I took the car back to the dealer and had the tech drive the car and he said the steering was normal for the car.

Are they missing something or is it that I forgot how the car drives?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-16, 01:16 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb1980
Hi everyone,

I have a 2013 es 300h.

To make a long story short, i had to have my front bumper replaced in May due to an accident but there was no mechanical damage to the car. They did an alignment to the car just to be safe.

Earlier this week, I'm not sure why I noticed that the steering was a little tight/heavy when turning left or right sometimes. It wasn't a major challenge just a little more strength then when driving straight.

Today, I took the car to the dealer and they ran all of the tests and everything came up fine except there was a code that the hybrid battery had been disconnected during the repair while sitting at the shop which created some sort of code that they cleared. The tech mentioned that this may have created the steering issues since the car may have thought their was low power.

After, I did notice it was a little better but still a little tight at times. I took the car back to the dealer and had the tech drive the car and he said the steering was normal for the car.

Are they missing something or is it that I forgot how the car drives?

Thanks.
Have you tried changing the switch from ECO to NORMAL to SPORT? I find that ECO is very easy to steer and it gets a bit harder on NORMAL and a bit harder on SPORT. This is by design.
Old 06-28-16, 01:18 PM
fpb1980
Rookie

I mostly drive the car on normal but I will try it on econ. Before I left, I also had them put all of the tires at 33 psi

Last edited by fpb1980; 06-28-16 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 05:37 AM
fpb1980
Rookie

I have a few more questions.

I read last night that my issues could be due to an incorrect alignment, caster, or zero point calibration. I had an alignment done when they replaced my front bumper.

I spoke with Lexus and they said that none of their computer codes showed that I need alignment.

Is it possible that these things could be off even if the computer doesn't show it? Am I wasting my time getting a new alignment done?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-16, 06:20 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb1980
I have a few more questions.

I read last night that my issues could be due to an incorrect alignment, caster, or zero point calibration. I had an alignment done when they replaced my front bumper.

I spoke with Lexus and they said that none of their computer codes showed that I need alignment.

Is it possible that these things could be off even if the computer doesn't show it? Am I wasting my time getting a new alignment done?

Thanks.
I didn't know computer codes could tell if the car was out of alignment. I guess with electric steering it is possible. My dealer puts every car that comes through on an alignment machine to check it.
I would suggest it be checked this way