ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Car insurance?- curious what the ES owners have

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-16, 11:02 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car insurance?- curious what the ES owners have

What's with the unannounced rate increases in California? It is like that everywhere?....been with Mercury for awhile but I'm wondering if it doesn't pay to be loyal...any thoughts? Thinking it's my chance to switch with a new car but maybe rate increases happen with all of them...I guess the thing with insurance is you don't know if they're good until you need them. Maybe I won't change but thought I'd get some feedback about your experiences
Old 06-24-16, 03:41 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

With Geico for a very long time but because of a large increase switched to Erie. I used these two studies to help make my decision. If you are a safe driver you might think about raising your deductible. Car insurance?- curious what the ES owners have-2016_iss_rank_1.jpg

Car insurance?- curious what the ES owners have-2015_auto_claims_rank_1-1-.jpg
Old 06-24-16, 03:52 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Here are other rankings.

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2...rom-worst-to-b

http://www.clark.com/best-auto-insurance-companies
Old 06-24-16, 06:07 AM
notabot
Driver School Candidate

Several insurance cos websites let you adjust deductibles and coverages of different line items one at a time and see how your price changes. Super helpful. GEICO and Progressive come to mind, but try out a few.
Old 06-24-16, 06:52 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My insurance this time around went up about $90 with Progressive. That was for 2 cars with bundled MC coverage but the majority of the increase was on the ES. I checked several other companies and this was actually the best I could do at my current levels of coverage. I bit the bullet this time but will consider different deductibles and coverages in 6 months to get a lower price to value figure.
Old 06-24-16, 11:21 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

I increased my deductibles to the highest possible last renewal. Thought about switching to Geico but what I heard about them is they get you, then they spike the rates. Dunno I guess that's the insurance game, can't win. Rates increases across the board even without accidents
Old 06-24-16, 11:22 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Yup Mercury or Geico both in the middle so wasn't sure it was worth the hassle of switching for a temporary reduction that would eventually spike. Not sure

Old 06-24-16, 11:26 AM
notabot
Driver School Candidate

Haha yeah no kidding. I've been paying insurance for a car I literally don't drive (an old classic car) and the premiums have gone up more than 50% over the past 2 years. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I went with GEICO on my ES and it was cheaper than other quotes I got online. I'm wary of them though and I have no qualms about jumping carriers next year.
Good luck!
Old 06-24-16, 01:20 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Auto insurers for the most part have taken a beating the last couple of years. With gas down, miles driven is up so more wrecks. Also the technology in the newer vehicles more costly to repair. Both frequency and severity of claims are up. Most insurers are taking as much rate as they can justify to the state insurance departments.
Old 06-24-16, 01:21 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

haha funny. yup Geico is the cheapest but everyone seems weary of them
Originally Posted by notabot
Haha yeah no kidding. I've been paying insurance for a car I literally don't drive (an old classic car) and the premiums have gone up more than 50% over the past 2 years. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I went with GEICO on my ES and it was cheaper than other quotes I got online. I'm wary of them though and I have no qualms about jumping carriers next year.
Good luck!
Old 06-24-16, 03:45 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
haha funny. yup Geico is the cheapest but everyone seems weary of them
Far from the cheapest for me. They were 2x more than what I pay State Farm. I've been with SF forever, so that may have a lot to do with it, though.
Old 06-24-16, 04:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

There is much more to choosing the "best" insurance than just considering the price.

Does the company's policy with regard to repairing a vehicle allow for using new and genuine Lexus parts or will they try to use aftermarket parts or parts from a salvage yard? What are their rules with regard to raising your rates if you make a claim, and what kind of discounts do they offer if you don't make any claims? For me, it is also important to have an agent with whom I've built up a relationship and who is someone that I can count on to go to bat for me if there is ever a dispute over a claim.

I've had my auto insurance (and homeowner's insurance and other insurance) with State Farm and with the same agent since I was in high school (and that was more decades ago than I'd like to admit). I think that my rates are about as low as I could get from any of the companies, but I can't tell you, for sure, that that is the case because I haven't bothered to shop around for cheaper insurance. But, even if I could gain some marginal savings on rates by switching insurance carriers, I would not be inclined to do so because I've been more than satisfied with the service that State Farm has provided me, and there have been at least a couple of times of times when my agent has intervened on my behalf when I've needed help with a claim. For me, that is worth something.
Old 06-24-16, 06:27 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Really that's strange. State Farm always quotes me the highest so I can't even consider them but maybe it's in Los Angeles. Yes but I realize now loyalty to a company is expensive

Originally Posted by Mike728
Far from the cheapest for me. They were 2x more than what I pay State Farm. I've been with SF forever, so that may have a lot to do with it, though.
Old 06-25-16, 01:18 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used amica mutual for over 10+ yrs now, they have given me the best rates when I combined home and auto insurance.
Old 06-25-16, 11:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

We have State Farm. We're shopping around though. They're charging me more now for my 2016 ES than they were charging me for my 2015 GX. Makes no GD sense.

Quick Reply: Car insurance?- curious what the ES owners have