ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES 350 or 2016 GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 05:08 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Anybody else get crazy pop up ads when using the forum on their phones? It happens maybe 5-10% of the time. I'm using a samsung galaxy s5.

I posted it here because this is where it happened.
Old 07-01-16, 05:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Anybody else get crazy pop up ads when using the forum on their phones? It happens maybe 5-10% of the time. I'm using a samsung galaxy s5.

I posted it here because this is where it happened.
Yep. You will get the pop-ups if you are not logged in. If you are logged in, you shouldn't get them.

If all I want to do is read, I really don't want to log in. So, the pop-ops, which are quite annoying, just cause me not to come to this site when I'm using the phone. Thus, I would think that they are counterproductive because, ultimately, they cause the site to get fewer hits if people just don't come to this site because of the pop-ups.
Old 07-02-16, 07:27 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's just crazy. My phone goes insane and it's super hard to close out the page when it happens.
Old 07-03-16, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The GS is very smooth, refined and solid feeling, more solid feeling than the ES but the ES is more softly sprung, which makes for a softer ride around town. Out on the highway I much prefer the way the GS rides.

Heres a question, what about an LS? The LS is an older chassis than the current ES or GS, but all the technology is there (same tech suite as the GS, 12" screen, etc). That gets you the ride bias of the ES with the solidity at higher speeds of the GS and does away with any concern about interior materials, etc in the ES.

The LS is considerably more money, but discounts on them are unreal right now. On an $80k example which is fairly low optioned, you'd be in the low 60s.
Old 07-03-16, 11:16 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The GS is very smooth, refined and solid feeling, more solid feeling than the ES but the ES is more softly sprung, which makes for a softer ride around town. Out on the highway I much prefer the way the GS rides.

Heres a question, what about an LS? The LS is an older chassis than the current ES or GS, but all the technology is there (same tech suite as the GS, 12" screen, etc). That gets you the ride bias of the ES with the solidity at higher speeds of the GS and does away with any concern about interior materials, etc in the ES.

The LS is considerably more money, but discounts on them are unreal right now. On an $80k example which is fairly low optioned, you'd be in the low 60s.

Sorry no offense but I personally think an LS is an old mans car :P

I am in my mid 30's and I haven't hit my mid life crisis just yet hehe
Old 07-04-16, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chemchemgm

It is an old mans car LOL, but to be fair so is the ES. Average owner age of the ES is just as high as the LS (its in the 60s). I'm in my mid 30s, and I had my first ES when I was 23. Old man stuff has always appealed to me

The GS is considerably more youthful than either the ES or the LS. The GS was the first car I've ever had that I didn't feel a mismatch between my age and what I was driving.

If thats an important thing to you, thats a significant win in the GS' column. People poked fun at me all the time for being so young driving the ES, and they do for being young and driving the LS (less so, but I'm not as young as I was back then), but nobody did about the GS.

This kind of shows you how it breaks out:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...older-products

In trying to straddle these worlds, Lexus has created two distinct product channels:

• A luxury channel for Lexus' traditional, aging buyers, with vehicles such as the ES and LS sedans and RX crossover.

• A performance-minded channel for younger buyers, consisting of the frisky IS and GS sedans, the NX crossover and the upcoming RC coupe. On top of that are the F Sport trim levels and the high-performance F brand. Some dealerships are even splitting up their showroom displays to highlight the separation.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-04-16 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 07:58 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It is an old mans car LOL, but to be fair so is the ES. Average owner age of the ES is just as high as the LS (its in the 60s). I'm in my mid 30s, and I had my first ES when I was 23. Old man stuff has always appealed to me

The GS is considerably more youthful than either the ES or the LS. The GS was the first car I've ever had that I didn't feel a mismatch between my age and what I was driving.

If thats an important thing to you, thats a significant win in the GS' column. People poked fun at me all the time for being so young driving the ES, and they do for being young and driving the LS (less so, but I'm not as young as I was back then), but nobody did about the GS.

This kind of shows you how it breaks out:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...older-products
On the other hand, some of us have aged with the ES.
Our 1st ES was my wife's '91 ES250. She has driven ES' since - '91,'94. '02, '10, '16 - We needed a sedan for kids in our late '30s (also had a 4x4), Over the years the ES has become our mule, we now have 2 homes 900+ miles apart and it has proved to be a comfortable hauler available for a reasonable price.

To keep us young (now 65 & 61) we have the '10 IS-F, '13 Boxster and '90 Miata

Name:  IS-FDetailed.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0795_zpsh6ri2eny.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  13BoxsterRightfront.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  127.7 KB

Last edited by EJC; 07-04-16 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-04-16, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's partly why the average age is high, same for Lexus in general (the brands average age is over 60), buyer loyalty is very high.
Old 07-04-16, 09:37 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I think the LS is often perceived as an "old man's car" because it's priced where mostly old men can afford, but at least the LS can be equipped with the the F-sport package to make it more of a younger person's car unlike the ES. It also would handle better than the ES since the LS is RWD or AWD.

Go for the GS already!
Old 07-12-16, 01:45 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Actually, another tip on the ES vs GS.
It depends on the quality of the road surface.
If you drive on good quality suburban roads and highways, then the GS rides beautifully.
Just have to put up with the ride on a few bad roads.
Most roads are quite good these days.
Old 07-13-16, 10:51 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Actually, another tip on the ES vs GS.
It depends on the quality of the road surface.
If you drive on good quality suburban roads and highways, then the GS rides beautifully.
Just have to put up with the ride on a few bad roads.
Most roads are quite good these days.

Just got sent home from the dealership because I wasted 3 hours of their time not decided which car I want :P they said come back after I decide :P ran my credit score and filled out al the paperwork. I think the dealership is mad at me :P

Roads around my work is rough but commute home is half bad roads half good. So.
Old 07-14-16, 01:35 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Go ES.
You need reasonably good road to enjoy the GS.
The GS is not a car that loves broken surfaces.
Go ES or E Class Benz...
Old 07-14-16, 04:44 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Just got sent home from the dealership because I wasted 3 hours of their time not decided which car I want :P they said come back after I decide :P ran my credit score and filled out al the paperwork. I think the dealership is mad at me :P

Roads around my work is rough but commute home is half bad roads half good. So.
Sounds like you need to find a New dealership.
I've bought from dealerships as far as 2hrs from home. And usually the price has been nailed down before I walk in the door because I've told them in not driving down to waste my time.
I did this with an '04 SC430, '07 IS-F, '10 IS-250, in these cases the dealer was an hour away. '10 IS-F bought in'12, dealer was 2hrs away, new off the lot. It had been sitting around on the lot for 2yrs and the dealer wanted it gone, $10k off sticker. '10ES bought from dealer an hour away. Negotiations we re done over the phone, including trade-in for which when requested I emailed pics.
The' 16ES I bought locally. They finally go out tired of me going elsewhere.

In all cases, I have had the car serviced locally, and I have always been treated well.

As an aside, we got our '16 ES 6weeks ago and after a quick install of dashcam, radar detector, USB cables we hit the road for Asheville, NC, 900mi @ way with side trip to Charleston, SC another 200@ way. Our findings, remember this is a 4dr family car, was that this is a very comfortable car to drive. We didn't like the ECO mode and tended to keep it in SPORT mode. This firmed it up a bit and improved acceleration. Lane departure warnings were good. With the lane departure the car will nudge itself back in Lane, I like this, the wife didn't. Where it got annoying was sometimes your feel it when doing a e change, I found this a minor issue. Gas mileage averaged around 30mpg cruising at 80mph. I switched to a K&N air filter in Asheville, possibly slightly better mpg and acceleration, minor if there. I have found these to help on other vehicles. I don't often use cruise control but tried it, the radar CC worked as billed, sliding the car and speding up with traffic.
After over 2000 miles in a month we love the car and have no regrets.
Old 07-14-16, 05:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
Sounds like you need to find a New dealership.

I've bought from dealerships as far as 2hrs from home. And usually the price has been nailed down before I walk in the door...
Sounds like a totally different situation. The OP doesn't even know which car he/she wants. I don't think it's the dealership's responsibility to make the choice. If the OP has been given the opportunity to extensively compare between the two, what more can the dealership do?
Old 07-14-16, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You really can't go wrong with either car. With the upgrades to the ES in 2016 I'm confident my purchase decision would have been harder than when I upgraded to the GS in 2013. The 2016 ES is a very nice car, the GS is a very nice car too but its smaller, sportier. What sort of experience do you want? You don't sacrifice much luxury or too much ride going to the GS, but you really sacrifice all sportiness going with the ES. Thats not really important to me, I bought the GS despite its sportiness not because of it, but is that important to you?

The GS is much more agile and fun to drive, more youthful. The ES is bigger, IMHO with these refreshes better looking, not quite as nice inside and better riding.

Originally Posted by Mike728
Sounds like a totally different situation. The OP doesn't even know which car he/she wants. I don't think it's the dealership's responsibility to make the choice. If the OP has been given the opportunity to extensively compare between the two, what more can the dealership do?
Correct, they can't negotiate a deal until the customer has decided which car they want.

Quick Reply: 2016 ES 350 or 2016 GS