ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES 350 or 2016 GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 08:42 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 ES 350 or 2016 GS

Need some help deciding on which car to get. I know they are very different cars but I like features of both cars.

ES 350
+smooth ride, regular gas not premium, cheaper cost in owning one over a 5 year span. Cheaper to buy
- boring to drive, not very road engaging.

GS 350
+ like the LFA inspired dash, fun to drive, very engaging, color (blue ultrasonic mica)
- more expensive to own over the 5 year period. Needs premium gas, might get in more trouble with tickets and wear and tear items will be more of an issue.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-16, 05:39 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Do you carry passengers in the rear seat? The ES's is much more accommodating.

Depending on if the "ca" in your location stands for California, or Canada will dictate the need for AWD, vs the cheaper RWD platform GS. Back when I was looking at both, the comparably equipped GS would have been almost $15k more. Plus, in 2013, gas was much more expensive and I was driving about 15k miles a year. If I was looking now, I might choose the GS. Looking at the GS forum, you would think Lexus was in crises mode by the prices some have been selling for recently. That said, even the ES is selling at dirt cheap prices, lately.
Old 06-21-16, 06:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Do you carry passengers in the rear seat? The ES's is much more accommodating.

Depending on if the "ca" in your location stands for California, or Canada will dictate the need for AWD, vs the cheaper RWD platform GS. Back when I was looking at both, the comparably equipped GS would have been almost $15k more. Plus, in 2013, gas was much more expensive and I was driving about 15k miles a year. If I was looking now, I might choose the GS. Looking at the GS forum, you would think Lexus was in crises mode by the prices some have been selling for recently. That said, even the ES is selling at dirt cheap prices, lately.
While new car shopping over the past couple of weeks we looked at the ES350 and all of the dealers had a big selection and seemed eager to move them. I was surprised to see a lot of UL models in inventory (which we were looking at). In the previous gen they were hard to find around here. While we didn't go with the Lexus, I agree it's a good time to buy one.
Old 06-21-16, 10:50 AM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

I am in Cali. I don't need the all wheel drive. My current situation is I have two small kids and I am currently driving a hs 250 and I am kind of bored of it. Been driving it since 2010. I wanted something more fun to drive but that ride in the Es 359 is just so smooth and comfortable. I just don't know.
Old 06-21-16, 12:55 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by chemchemgm
I am in Cali. I don't need the all wheel drive. My current situation is I have two small kids and I am currently driving a hs 250 and I am kind of bored of it. Been driving it since 2010. I wanted something more fun to drive but that ride in the Es 359 is just so smooth and comfortable. I just don't know.
With your 2 kids, I recommend the ES. I also had a HS250 and moved up to the ES.
Old 06-21-16, 06:59 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Two small kids out of child seats yet? ES350 definitely has the space, but isn't the most engaging to drive. The ES350 will be much easier for parents as they load and unload their children from child seats.
Seems like you're seeking for more driving enjoyment. Definitely go with the GS350. The performance will definitely put a smile on your face.
Old 06-21-16, 07:34 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

One is very close in getting out of the seat. Second one is only a year old. I test drove the GS and you are right. I couldn't stop smiling. But the practical side of myself says save money stay out of trouble from speeding, tickets etc. that's why I can't decide. So now be practical and save money or go wild!
Old 06-21-16, 09:21 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have two car seats in my GS - one forward facing and one rear facing. It's no big deal. Plenty of room for our family of 4.
Old 06-30-16, 04:26 PM
T1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help deciding on which car to get. I know they are very different cars but I like features of both cars.

ES 350
+smooth ride, regular gas not premium, cheaper cost in owning one over a 5 year span. Cheaper to buy

GS 350
+ like the LFA inspired dash, fun to drive, very engaging, color (blue ultrasonic mica)
- more expensive to own over the 5 year period. Needs premium gas, might get in more trouble with tickets and wear and tear items will be more of an issue.

Thanks!
Did you pick yet? My wife has a 2013 ES and I drive a 2015 GS 350 F sport. I have 2 kids under 3. I was careful not to pick a rear facing car seat that was too big - so as not to force the passenger seat up too far, and so it works fine. It will be even better when we're done with rear facing seats. The ES definitely has more room in the back seat, but the GS isn't bad.

The longer I have had the GS and switched between driving each, the more I notice everything that is nicer, from the interior to the way it drives. If you're not throwing adults in the back seat, it really comes down to whether the better interior and driving dynamics worth the extra money to you. I'm not a fan of front wheel drive cars anymore, but I like the ES. I really enjoy the GS. The ES has better mpgs, lower price and bigger back seat.
Old 06-30-16, 05:46 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Although they appear similar, the ES is nicer looking. Maybe it's the proportions, but the GS appears less sleek, somewhat more stubby.

No offense to GS owners, please, just IMHO. The GS is overall the better car.

Last edited by Canesguy; 06-30-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 10:49 PM
chemchemgm
Driver School Candidate

No I haven't purchased. Waiting to see what the 4th of July incentives are. After all the inputs I am still somewhat torn.

I went back to the dealership and drove the ES again and man it is sure comfortable! Maybe I shouldn't of gone back and test drove. I spent 45 min a day in my car going to and from work I would definitely want to feel comfortable in my ride, does long trips feel uneasy on a gs?
Old 07-01-16, 01:21 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have a 4GS; don't buy GS for its ride and NVH - the ES is much better for ride and NVH.
Only buy GS for style, performance, handling, equipment, and build quality - the GS has superior quality of plastics, leather, stitching, and fit and finish.

PS. The GS is more upmarket inside.
The door trims are more upmarket, the lower half of the dashboard is more upmarket, the central console is more upmarket especially the left and right sides where they join with the transmission tunnel.
The 12" LCD looks much more upmarket than the smaller LCD used in the ES.
The ES's central console around the tranny looks a little untidy, with two separate cup holders.
In the GS, the backs of the front seats are more upmarket, with noticeably thicker front seats, superior leather, and superior stitching.
The rear of the central console is more upmarket too with woodgrain above the rear air vent outlets.
The front seats in the 4GS are also wider than the seats in the ES.
The seat bases both front and rear in the 4GS are longer than the seat bases in the ES, hence adding to the feeling that the ES is bigger with an EPA volume of 100.3 cubic feet, as opposed to GS's 99 cubic feet.
The GS's trunk is actually larger than the ES's trunk.

Horses for courses; depends on what you want.
However, for comfort, noise/vibration/harshness, go 6ES and avoid this generation of 4GS.
Toyota's new head, the grandson of the founder, set out to make Lexus more dynamic, thus the 4GS uses very firm springing to minimize weight transfer to the outside wheels to maximize grip for more immediate and sharper changes in direction, as well as to maximize terminal grip.

On the downside, the 4GS has very firm and rather non-compliant suspension which ride over bumps, rather than flatten them out.
The shock absorbers have significant control with less floatiness for a higher frequency of oscillation at hi speed; on the other hand, the ES's shock absorbers feels comfortable and floaty due to a low oscillating frequency which is perceived as more comfortable.
Meanwhile the 4GS's Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 performance summer tires give great grip and are dead quiet at low speeds, but can be quite loud above 50 mph!

PSS. The ES's engine actually has more bottom end torque for practicality, meanwhile the GS's direct injection engine has more top end power with about 10% quicker 0-60.
The 4GS' 8 speed auto has more imperceptible gear changes compared to the ES' 6 speed auto.

For practicality, go ES; for sports, go GS - however the GS still has the styling, upmarketness and equipment.
In the 4GS forum, owners have used Pirelli Cinturato A/S All Seasons to make the 4GS' highway ride smoother and quieter, and if you can handle the firmer spring rates, then go GS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-01-16 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 05:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I find my GS to be remarkably smooth, quiet and comfortable for long trips. Either an ES or GS should treat you well.
Old 07-01-16, 06:47 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

ES 350

GS 350

Thanks!
we went looking at the GS and bought the ES.

We liked the GS but this vehicle is our mule - long trips and packed - other vehicles (IS-F, Boxster and Miata) don't work so well in this capacity.

GS - Liked the the seats and controls but we no longer need AWD and because of the AWD the trunk is a bit shallower. Interior space was also snugger. Harsher ride on long trips.

ES - after 2000miles - more interior space and trunk space. In the sports mode ride is pretty good on the highway, didn't care for eco mode. Seats are good, not as tight as the GS. Added hardwire for Dashcam and Radar Detector, also ran micro usb cables to dash, these made the long hauls more comfortable without the cables all over the console.

After 2000 miles we're very impressed with the '16ES, it's head and shoulders above the '10ES we traded for it.
Old 07-01-16, 04:08 PM
T1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I haven't purchased. Waiting to see what the 4th of July incentives are. After all the inputs I am still somewhat torn.

I went back to the dealership and drove the ES again and man it is sure comfortable! Maybe I shouldn't of gone back and test drove. I spent 45 min a day in my car going to and from work I would definitely want to feel comfortable in my ride, does long trips feel uneasy on a gs?
I agree with what peteharvey said in his PS. It looks like there is a difference of opinions on ride quality though. I find my GS to be more comfortable and solid feeling than my wife's ES. The ES has a more floaty feeling and maybe a little more cushion, but the GS is smooth, quiet and feels great. Either would be great on a road trip. I like the seats and the padding on the armrests better in the GS.

Had we bought the GS first there would not have been a reason for us to get the ES. I wanted her to get an RX, but she likes cars so ES she chose. I had a GS itch for a couple years that the ES didn't scratch.

Based just on what you have said in your posts I recommend the ES. Hopefully you won't pick one and wish you got the other. At least with the ES you have an extra 15K in your pocket.

Quick Reply: 2016 ES 350 or 2016 GS