ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Alert: Nav system locking up

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 04:18 AM
kenlex16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus61030
Issue is nation-wide and is affecting vehicles equipped with nav and lexus enform.

Manual reset by disconnecting battery for 10 minutes will bring systems back online

Go to your fuse box and pull the fuses that pertain to your radio in my RX 450h that was two fuses one 15 and 10 amp. I then went inside and started the vehicle till the nav screen turned all pink (about a minute and half). Turn off the vehicle go back and insert fuses again where you took them out from. Then go back and turn on vehicle again and leave it on (do not shut it down) you will see a screen popup that shows loading with a bar going across the screen. Wait with car on till it completes and then the NAV comes up again. I had the full NAV, Radio and my phone still attached and working with no problems. Did the same for my wife's vehicle and both are back up again. Don't know how long it will last or if this is temp fix since I'm sure I did not get the updated fix from the dealer but I take both into the dealer next week for the 5k service and I'll address this with them for the fix. My Lexus dealer told me they have a work around fix not sure what that means or if it's what I already did just now. Hope this work for all you out there.
Old 06-08-16, 04:39 AM
Hriley
Driver School Candidate

Best post on this website ever. If I hadn't read it, would have assumed I had an isolated broken system. Service Advisor A+. Lexus F. Glitches happen, but no excuse for bad communication. They have though enform, who seem to be customers affected, a way to contact every one of us on a text or email. No communication only compounds the problem.

WOW. Amazing trouble this will be for Lexus. No way I can see that units not reset would 'update' while stuck in that boot up loop and crash. Maybe people who reset as this service advisor kindly posted can get new update when they make one. Hopefully comes this week, if nothing else, a roll back to what was before they pushed faulty code.

Interesting to watch ADR (Toyota Motor Corp) stock today on premarket.

Lexus owners affected via enform glitch should be compensated. Wouldn't shock me if a few wrecks happen from distracted drivers. The pink/purple flashing screen is annoying, and it never makes it to the 'warning don't look at screen while driving" warning any more. I wouldn't want to be in Lexus' legal department any more than I'd want to work in their service department. Both innocent bystanders of poor software update, and poor Lexus communication directly to customers from the start.
Old 06-08-16, 05:05 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by DJH6881
I spoke to someone at the dealership and they said that a military operation took out the satellites?

WTF?!?!?
Who did you talk to, a porter?

LINK
Old 06-08-16, 05:10 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Scary part is that how luxury automobile turned into almost useless piece of junk in a split second.
Glad that solution was simple... But what if....
Old 06-08-16, 06:35 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenlex16
Go to your fuse box and pull the fuses that pertain to your radio in my RX 450h that was two fuses one 15 and 10 amp. I then went inside and started the vehicle till the nav screen turned all pink (about a minute and half). Turn off the vehicle go back and insert fuses again where you took them out from. Then go back and turn on vehicle again and leave it on (do not shut it down) you will see a screen popup that shows loading with a bar going across the screen. Wait with car on till it completes and then the NAV comes up again. I had the full NAV, Radio and my phone still attached and working with no problems. Did the same for my wife's vehicle and both are back up again. Don't know how long it will last or if this is temp fix since I'm sure I did not get the updated fix from the dealer but I take both into the dealer next week for the 5k service and I'll address this with them for the fix. My Lexus dealer told me they have a work around fix not sure what that means or if it's what I already did just now. Hope this work for all you out there.
My guess is that if it really was a bad OTA update, they've pulled the update off the servers.

Pulling fuses or disconnecting battery somehow rolls back to original software (must be kept in semi-volatile RAM) and with the OTA update pulled off the server, the new s/w will NOT get pushed back down to the car.
Old 06-08-16, 08:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Who did you talk to, a porter?

LINK
Was he wearing army fatigues and boots?
Old 06-08-16, 08:10 AM
shaunm
Driver School Candidate

I hope the fix is VERY fast. Comes with some freebie such as extension on everyones Enform or something for their mistake. And Lexus should be sending messages or emails to customers affected on their own and keeping us updated directly.

I'm glad there is a service advisor who cares enough to post here for us. Give that man (or woman) a raise!
Old 06-08-16, 09:13 AM
Lexus61030
Driver School Candidate

FROM LEXUS CORPORATE:

Errant data broadcast by our traffic and weather data service provider was not handled as expected by the microcomputer in the vehicle navigation head unit (center display) of 2014-16 model year Lexus vehicles. In some situations, this issue can cause the head unit restart repeatedly, affecting operation of the navigation system (if equipped), audio and climate control features. The data suspected to be the source of the error was corrected last night.

The correction is a forced reset and clearing of the errant data from the system. Disconnecting the vehicle 12V battery for at least 5 minutes and then re-connecting the battery completes this reset.

Lexus owners experiencing these issues should visit their dealer for a complimentary system reset and a confirmation of the system

Thank you for your patience and on-going support.
Old 06-08-16, 10:18 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

A little concerned this potentially affects our HVAC systems. That could potentially be a driving hazard. Can't unfog the windows because the compressor won't turn on....etc....
Old 06-08-16, 10:21 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by shaunm
I hope the fix is VERY fast. Comes with some freebie such as extension on everyones Enform or something for their mistake. And Lexus should be sending messages or emails to customers affected on their own and keeping us updated directly.

I'm glad there is a service advisor who cares enough to post here for us. Give that man (or woman) a raise!
Sounds like you can either choose to do the battery disconnect yourself, or wait in line at the dealership and have them do it.
Old 06-08-16, 10:24 AM
trama09
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does disconnecting the battery (and reconnecting after 5+ mins) reset all settings back to default? Or will changes be kept?
Old 06-08-16, 11:21 AM
shaunm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trama09
Does disconnecting the battery (and reconnecting after 5+ mins) reset all settings back to default? Or will changes be kept?
My reset lost some of the items, but not all. Some of the settings such as remembering I didn't want voice prompts for everything changed. I think it forgot my voice training. It remembered radio presets and tone settings. Forgot seat memory. Hit or miss.

Unsure if the reset rolls back the update to previous, or just forces it to take the new one correctly. Wonder if they just stopped over the air pushing the new firmware.
Old 06-08-16, 11:30 AM
judoflip
Driver School Candidate

What about for hybrids? I have an ES 300h 2015, will unplugging my 12V battery still fix the problem?
Old 06-08-16, 11:31 AM
Lexus61030
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by judoflip
What about for hybrids? I have an ES 300h 2015, will unplugging my 12V battery still fix the problem?
Yes, I just got done resetting 2 ES 300h
Old 06-08-16, 11:41 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When I started my car this morning, the navigation and entertainment phone system was out and the boot up screen kept cycling on. I called the dealer who informed me that the satellite download an update that had a bug and caused this problem.

Service Rep said you have to disconnect the negative pole on the battery FOR 2 MINUTES. I am not sure 30 seconds will be enough time for the memory chip to dissipate.

Quick Reply: Alert: Nav system locking up