ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Should I buy an ES350-do you like your car?

Old 06-13-16, 06:53 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great points! Thanks for the great insight, I'm 5'7. Yes the regular gas is definitely something to think about. And I definitely heard the road noise when I test drove the 200t. So many great owners on this forum who are so helpful with advice! I almost wanna get one just because I know I have all you Lexus owners to turn to in my times of car woes if needed. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ES350mark
My wife and I had the same experience, 1st @ the 2016 Motor Trend Auto Show and 2nd @ the Lexus Dealer. Although we are not tall or large people, I am 5'9 160lbs and wife is 5"7 120lbs. we both banged our heads on the roof of the 2016 IS getting out of the car and found the rear seat extremely tight if driving with other couples to dinner or affairs. Further, the trunk was quite small and the interior just seemed cramped. Road noise was more prevalent in the IS compared to the ES as well. After test driving the ES we just felt comfortable, excellent driving position and road noise and vibration were almost non-existent. Having a few "weekend cars" in my stable (1970 Mustang Convertible H-Block, 1993 Corvette Convertible to name a few) getting into another vehicle for a handling or straight line acceleration fix is not an issue for me. Plus there is nothing in the Infinity or Acura lines that compare to the quality and overall value of the Lexus ES350 especially driving on I-95 and interstates on regular fuel when the competition requires premium. Further, after nearly 3 months of ownership we have never been treated so nicely by the Lexus dealers and their staff, so CS is another factor for our choice. So the wife and I drank the Lexus Kool-Aid and have no regrets.

Last edited by prosgal73; 06-13-16 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-17-16, 04:16 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Happened by the dealer today. They said the 2016 Es had revised seat and steering wheel adjustments. It still has the same limitations. Steering wheel won't come out far as far as others and the seat tilts forward when you raise it all the way. Annoying. I was also told that the lack of full rear split seats with trunk access is to meet crash ratings. The back seat is used for support. I hope Lexus addresses these shortcomings in the next redesign.
Old 06-18-16, 05:40 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by 615tpc
Happened by the dealer today. They said the 2016 Es had revised seat and steering wheel adjustments. It still has the same limitations. Steering wheel won't come out far as far as others and the seat tilts forward when you raise it all the way. Annoying. I was also told that the lack of full rear split seats with trunk access is to meet crash ratings. The back seat is used for support. I hope Lexus addresses these shortcomings in the next redesign.
Not sure what your issues are with the steering wheel. I drive with the seat as far back and down as it can go. The wheel is in no way, too far from me. It appears you're not a tall individual, as you claim the need to adjust the seat all the way up. This should mean you're seating position would allow an even closer proximity to the wheel. I have no idea if the "all up" position causes the seat to tilt forward a little, but if so, why can't you just adjust the tilt back?

The rear seats are fixed, as they were when the car was based on the smaller Camry platform. The Camry had split folding rears. The reasoning, was removing the option added some structure and sound isolation.

Neither of your issues will likely be "addressed" in the next redesign, nor should they be considered "shortcomings".

Some people buy a car and then a short time later realize it doesn't fit their needs, or even them comfortably. I was "that guy" once. Keep doing your homework and you'll find the right vehicle for you. It's obvious the ES is not for you. Good luck!
Old 06-18-16, 07:15 AM
615tpc
Driver

Lexus should at least benchmark their seating with Audi, bmw etc. Try the seat in an Audi a4 or a6 and you will see how much adjustability there is with the seat and steering wheel in those cars. I have an 2013 Es and love almost everything about the car except these shortcomings vs their competition. If they could improve upon these things they'd have a real winner especially with the reliability. Btw, I've tried the seats in the gs and Rx and it doesn't seem to be any different. I'm not a believer in boasting or defending all aspects of my car just because I own it. I have a sienna which is amazingly practical but annoying to drive. I also had an impala which is perhaps not as reliable but certainly drives and handles superior to the Es and sienna. That's just the way it is. I may have had high expectations from a luxury car such as Lexus ES but I don't thing they were unrealistic. Lexus can do better, I know it and for sure they know it. It's not a matter of putting them down or anything like that.

A question for you Mike, when you sit the way you describe, where do you rest your arms on long drives while still controlling the steering wheel, or do you keep them "in the air" at the proper position?
Old 06-18-16, 08:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

A question for you Mike, when you sit the way you describe, where do you rest your arms on long drives while still controlling the steering wheel, or do you keep them "in the air" at the proper position?
I don't think I leave either arm in the same position for too long. But, I have no trouble resting either on the door armrest, or the center console pad and the wheel at the same time. My arms are even slightly bent.

Here's a quick pic I just took for a reference.

Old 06-18-16, 11:28 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

We have a 2013 ES350 and it's a very smooth, comfortable, reliable and roomy car. We bought it when we had the possibility of owning only 1 car, and a kid was on the way. We needed something roomy and reliable, and didn't want to spend so much money on costly repairs.

I will probably keep the ES350 til 200k miles or when it dies. Now we have an Odyssey doing the family duty. Like others said, the ES350 is fairly boring, and I want some "connection" or at least know that I am driving a machine, and not just a kitchen appliance. I like engineering and knowing how things work. I believe my next car might be an Audi A4. Also, Lexus needs to do something about the seats in the ES -this is a more subjective thing though. I don't find them comfortable, and find Honda, Acura, and all European seats much better.
Old 06-18-16, 12:13 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
Lexus needs to do something about the seats in the ES -this is a more subjective thing though. I don't find them comfortable, and find Honda, Acura, and all European seats much better.
I would expect body type/build has something to do with this? I am 5'8" and a modestly overweight 160 pounds and I find the seats very comfortable. My wife is 5'4" and somewhat heavier and she too finds the seats to be comfortable, even on long road trips. We do NOT have the UL model with the seat bottom extenders. Now to be fair, in terms of recent memory, I can only compare them to Acura RDX as that is the most recent non-Lexus test drive, but the ES seats fit us both very well. Seating comfort seems to be very subjective as you said. That's why there are so many brands out there and everyone will need to evaluate that aspect for themselves based on their build.
Old 06-18-16, 08:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Lexus should at least benchmark their seating with Audi, bmw etc. Try the seat in an Audi a4 or a6 and you will see how much adjustability there is with the seat and steering wheel in those cars.
I don't agree with this at all. I seriously considered an Audi A6 and a BMW 5 Series both in 2012 and in 2015, and one of the big drawbacks to me of those vehicles is that the adjustability of the seats and steering is not as complete as on Lexus vehicles, the ES included. IMHO, Lexus vehicles have better seating and seating position.

If you prefer BMW or Audi's seating, I would buy a BMW or Audi.
Old 06-18-16, 10:04 PM
615tpc
Driver

Default Es seats vs Audi

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't agree with this at all. I seriously considered an Audi A6 and a BMW 5 Series both in 2012 and in 2015, and one of the big drawbacks to me of those vehicles is that the adjustability of the seats and steering is not as complete as on Lexus vehicles, the ES included. IMHO, Lexus vehicles have better seating and seating position.

If you prefer BMW or Audi's seating, I would buy a BMW or Audi.
I'm sorry That's simply not true. I went to the dealers on Friday and checked a 2016 a6 steering wheel will move out at least an extra 2 inches vs any comparable 2016 Lexus ES or 2016 gs car. The same with the seats in terms of height adjustment. There is more flexility built into them. The same with Cadillac CTS and CT6 I have verified. I wouldn't take it personally that you didn't discover this in 2012 and 2015. Lexus seating is based on the assumption that only taller people sit farther back and that those who do sit farther back must have longer arms. Clearly Audi has a more realistic approach. I do not wish to discuss this further except to suggest that prospective Es buyers may wish to pay attention to these factors in their purchase decisions. The facts or specs are easily verifiable at a dealership by anyone who wishes to do so.

To suggest that someone suddenly prefers Audi or bmw because of my post is unnecessary. Clearly I prefer Lexus for the reliability and build quality. You obviously seem to like Lexus a lot but I don't understand why you want to tell another Lexus owner to buy a different car when they post their own opinion about their own Lexus car. Are you trying to get more Lexus owners to switch to Audi or bmw?

Last edited by 615tpc; 06-18-16 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-18-16, 10:18 PM
615tpc
Driver

Originally Posted by HouseB328
We have a 2013 ES350 and it's a very smooth, comfortable, reliable and roomy car. We bought it when we had the possibility of owning only 1 car, and a kid was on the way. We needed something roomy and reliable, and didn't want to spend so much money on costly repairs.

I will probably keep the ES350 til 200k miles or when it dies. Now we have an Odyssey doing the family duty. Like others said, the ES350 is fairly boring, and I want some "connection" or at least know that I am driving a machine, and not just a kitchen appliance. I like engineering and knowing how things work. I believe my next car might be an Audi A4. Also, Lexus needs to do something about the seats in the ES -this is a more subjective thing though. I don't find them comfortable, and find Honda, Acura, and all European seats much better.
I agree they need to work on the seats.
Old 06-19-16, 05:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

These "are the seats comfortable" threads/discussions usually don't go anywhere. What one person thinks are the most comfortable ever, the next might not be able to find a comfortable position. Far too subjective. Every person is different and has to make that determination themselves. If the seats aren't comfortable and it's a deal breaker, move on and find something that works. Three are many choices available.
Old 06-19-16, 06:57 AM
615tpc
Driver

Default I agree

Originally Posted by LexBob2
These "are the seats comfortable" threads/discussions usually don't go anywhere. What one person thinks are the most comfortable ever, the next might not be able to find a comfortable position. Far too subjective. Every person is different and has to make that determination themselves. If the seats aren't comfortable and it's a deal breaker, move on and find something that works. Three are many choices available.
I agree. And that applies to almost everything car related. There are very few factually based opinions on these boards. Even something as simple as hp and torque is convoluted. Most buyers aren't clued into the fact that they need to see the actual torque and hp graph to understand the power capabilties of the cars engine in daily driving. Sadly, Lexus doesn't publish this information on their websites.
Old 06-19-16, 09:23 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Lexus seating is based on the assumption that only taller people sit farther back and that those who do sit farther back must have longer arms.
Interesting observation. Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind if I could get the wheel an inch or so closer.
Old 06-19-16, 09:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I'm sorry That's simply not true. I went to the dealers on Friday and checked a 2016 a6 steering wheel will move out at least an extra 2 inches vs any comparable 2016 Lexus ES or 2016 gs car. The same with the seats in terms of height adjustment. There is more flexility built into them. The same with Cadillac CTS and CT6 I have verified. I wouldn't take it personally that you didn't discover this in 2012 and 2015. Lexus seating is based on the assumption that only taller people sit farther back and that those who do sit farther back must have longer arms. Clearly Audi has a more realistic approach. I do not wish to discuss this further except to suggest that prospective Es buyers may wish to pay attention to these factors in their purchase decisions. The facts or specs are easily verifiable at a dealership by anyone who wishes to do so.

To suggest that someone suddenly prefers Audi or bmw because of my post is unnecessary. Clearly I prefer Lexus for the reliability and build quality. You obviously seem to like Lexus a lot but I don't understand why you want to tell another Lexus owner to buy a different car when they post their own opinion about their own Lexus car. Are you trying to get more Lexus owners to switch to Audi or bmw?
This is your opinion. Opinions differ, I personally don't care for the seating position of Audis in particular, especially the A6 which as I said I've shopped extensively. I'm not saying you're wrong for preferring the A6, I'm just saying if you like another car better buy it. There are those of us who like these cars better and we don't want them to be like Audis.

I've never had any seating position issues in any Lexus vehicles. Everybody's body is different and if you have had issues that's fine. Just don't assume your issues are universal issues.

I like Lexus obviously but I think most people in this forum would tell you I'm not afraid to post my viewpoints on their shortcomings lol.
Old 06-19-16, 10:20 AM
615tpc
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is your opinion. Opinions differ, I personally don't care for the seating position of Audis in particular, especially the A6 which as I said I've shopped extensively. I'm not saying you're wrong for preferring the A6, I'm just saying if you like another car better buy it. There are those of us who like these cars better and we don't want them to be like Audis.

I've never had any seating position issues in any Lexus vehicles. Everybody's body is different and if you have had issues that's fine. Just don't assume your issues are universal issues.

I like Lexus obviously but I think most people in this forum would tell you I'm not afraid to post my viewpoints on their shortcomings lol.
You are right, every car has some issues, it is after all a compromise of competing objectives. Given your fairly senior position on this board, I'd be interested to hear your view as to things in the ES you don't like or enjoy? Or is it "near perfection" for you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy an ES350-do you like your car?