ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

US Build?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 07:03 PM
Hriley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've actually never said anything about US work ethic or made any pro US labor statements whatsoever. As I said before, I am not a "buy US made" sort of person. I probably own nothing right now that was built in or made in the US. Well, very little...and whatever it might be I have no idea.

This is actually something I've done a lot of research into, I spend a lot of time looking at quality ratings and such, as somebody who's been an auto enthusiast for a long time.

What "proof" would you like me to send? You're the one making statements like the following:

I would ask you where the basis for that statement came from. What information have you seen that has shown that the first years of these Toyota/Honda plants in the US were problematic? What issues were there specifically?

You're just speaking anecdotally also is my point. You make fun of my "experience", but have you specifically owned US and Japanese made Toyotas? How many Lexus products have you owned and from how many different Lexus plants? Whether you want to admit it or not that experience has value.

The question was whether each of us would purchase a US built ES, my reply clearly is yes. I wouldn't specifically choose an ES based on where it was built, I'd be equally happy with a US built car or a Japan built car. I've never seen any evidence or data trend or group of complaints that leads me to believe that Toyota has had an issue with build quality on vehicles built here vs those built in Japan, plenty of people have posted strong statements otherwise but when pressed as to what basis by which they've come to those conclusions...we get nothing but insults. People can make up their own minds, I'm out.
Not that I have to come to someone else's rescue but in my reading you're coming across like a know it all, I see you throwing out superiority and insults. You HAVE posted about a dozen posts on this thread alone defending US workers as cream of the crop without proof. Saying Japanese isn't as good as everyone says without a link of research but asking other people to post theirs. Folks not from Amerca on the board might see this as an exact example of why they wouldn't want to buy build US products with your "mindset" as you called it earlier.

How many cars someone has owned or long the personal experience is not statistically significant of reliability or build quality and irrelevant.

Please be nice guys. Helen.

Last edited by Hriley; 06-06-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 07:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Sw15ls Kellens and hriley,

Please take your parts of the discussion to PM (should you wish to continue it) and exit this thread. Each of you are getting personal, neither of you are posting any further detail other than simply reply to each other with the same repeated content.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-07-16 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Correct autocorrect
Old 06-08-16, 10:12 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The stories I have heard, specifically about glass and the TMMK plant:

"If Toyota rejects the glass because of whatever defect, they send it to GM...."
Old 06-08-16, 01:17 PM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

>"If Toyota rejects the glass because of whatever defect, they send it to GM...."

Heh, reminds me of my '97 Ford Taurus that needed a tranny overhaul at about 60K miles. The local shop told me that the tranny had been designed by GM but that it didn't meet their standards.

So the sold the design to Ford...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350