ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models
View Poll Results: Would you purchase a non-certified used ES from a Lexus dealer?
No I would not
30.77%
Yes I would
53.85%
Yes I would but I would try to negotiate a lower price
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a used non-certified ES from a Lexus dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 07:58 PM
nelsona
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you buy a used non-certified ES from a Lexus dealer?

Hello,

I recently found a used 2014 ES for a pretty good price (32,900) with the UL package, Mark Levinson audio, 18" rims, panoramic sunroof, etc (though it looks like the steering wheel isn't heated) but found it odd that the Lexus dealer didn't want to certify the vehicle.

When I asked them, they claimed that since the vehicle had such low miles (13,000+), they felt that it didn't need to be certified.

That being said, I've seen other dealers certify similarly equipped ES' with less than 10,000 miles, so I'm worried that the dealer isn't certifying the vehicle for a reason other than it having "low miles".

If looking for used ES, would you pass on their offer or take them up on their offer?

Thank you,
Nelson
Old 05-25-16, 08:44 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I would look it over very carefully, but I wouldn't be afraid of it just because it hasn't undergone their CPO testing. I recently traded in a 2013 RX. That car was in great shape with only 5300 miles (certainly cleaner than when I got it). I can't imagine it would have made much difference to put it through the CPO process other than perhaps warranty benefits. So with that in mind, I don't think the lack of CPO taken in a vacuum is of any particular concern.
Old 05-26-16, 09:05 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm not sure why there is so much emphasis on "CPOing" a car when the dealer makes you pay a premium for this. After all, isn't Lexus hands-down one of the most reliable makes out there? Its not like you're buying a BMW.

The car has low miles. If you are concern about your investment, you can also have the car taken to a reputable mechanic and have them inspect it over. I would trust a capable mechanic over Lexus' CPO process any day.
If the car gets a thumbs up, you can always buy the Lexus warranty for about the same price you would if you had to pay for the CPO premium.

Personally, I think extended warranties are a waste of money. Bought them for 3 German cars I had in the past for "peace of mind" knowing that they are unreliable. Funny thing is that i never had to use them. At about $3000-3500 each, that's literally $10k out the door. What a waste of money.
Old 05-26-16, 10:06 AM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased a 2013 ES SP over Parchment (Luxury, NAV, etc.) with 20K miles from a Lexus dealer and could not be more pleased. The car was "pre-certifed" (161 inspection) one owner, off lease, no accidents and met all the criteria for it to be CPO. The dealer gave me the option of paying for the L Certified extended warranty which I did, since it qualified for 1.9% financing that is being offered by Lexus Financial until the end of May so it was pretty much a no brainer to take the peace of mind warranty, since my 25K and 30K services will be a N/C performed by Lexus. With such a low mileage car, get the CarFax and the complete history of the car including maintenance, accidents, one owner etc. which should be supplied by the Lexus dealer without hesitation and at no cost to you. If they don't, run, don't walk from the deal since that would be your first RED FLAG that there maybe some issues. Further, how long has the vehicle been in inventory and for sale? Was this an off lease or trade thru the dealer?
Old 05-26-16, 10:49 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

As long as the car in question is not priced like a CPO vehicle, it would certainly be a car that I would consider buying.

You would still have the bulk of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty and even more of the factory power train warranty left on the vehicle, and, if there were any major problems, they would be likely to become obvious long before those warranties were to expire.

As car buyers have gained access to more information about vehicle pricing, such as invoice prices, factory incentives, etc., dealers have figured out other ways to pad their profits and to give car buyers the feeling that they are getting a "better deal" than they are actually getting. Two of the major things that fit into that category are extended warranties and CPO warranties.

If given the choice between buying the same vehicle without a CPO warranty or with a CPO warranty and its likely price markup, I'll take the vehicle without the CPO warranty without hesitation. While there might be very occasional instances where the cost of repairs on a non-CPO vehicle might exceed the cost of a CPO warranty, it is a virtual certainty that, over the course of buying several (used) vehicles, you will be many thousands of dollars ahead by buying non-CPO vehicles at lower prices than what you would pay for the same vehicles with CPO certification and warranties.

That said, as others have suggested, I would find as much information as I could about the history of the vehicle, including whether it had been a lease return, trade in, etc., accident history, and maintenance history.
Old 05-26-16, 12:49 PM
krieltb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to start a war or anything. Honest question to experienced buyers as I can get dealer answer at any point from multiple places.

What does CPO really get for the buyer?

Seems like some people don't care and others its a matter of life and death.

I have always checked or had cars checked outside dealership for the 3rd party aspect.

Again not to start a fight.
Old 05-26-16, 01:12 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by krieltb
Not to start a war or anything. Honest question to experienced buyers as I can get dealer answer at any point from multiple places.

I have always checked or had cars checked outside dealership for the 3rd party aspect.

If the car is a couple of years old and up there a bit in mileage it is simply insurance and a little peace of mind. Some people buy life insurance and some do not.
Old 05-26-16, 01:37 PM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great question and I am sure there will be replies from both sides. For me, I had always bought new until I purchased my 2013 Lexus ES 350 a few months ago and will never buy new again. To be able to buy, not lease, a quality vehicle like a Lexus for a fraction of new, I prefer to let the 1st owner take the depreciation hit. With that said, I would only buy from a Lexus dealer to receive the excellent service that a CPO vehicle brings and when the time comes for routine service, especially the 25K and 30K mile, the price of CPO pays for itself. Not every Lexus meets the standard to be L/certified and knowing that once the new car warranty expires, repairs can be quite expensive especially on the technology features it's covered, including roadside assistance, loaner car etc. is comforting and for me and worth the price. Yes, you can buy a used Lexus from an independent dealer, private party for, in my experience, a little less, but I would not chance it. Again, these are just my views regarding CPO and L/Certified and why it's important to me.
Old 05-26-16, 03:07 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

The poll results are a bit skewed due to the way the questions are poised. Most say "yes" they would buy a
non - CPO car and one says yes, but try to negotiate a lower price. Wait! Doesn't everyone try to negotiate a lower price???
Old 05-26-16, 03:47 PM
krieltb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
The poll results are a bit skewed due to the way the questions are poised. Most say "yes" they would buy a
non - CPO car and one says yes, but try to negotiate a lower price. Wait! Doesn't everyone try to negotiate a lower price???
Arent all Lexus dealers 0 haggle now?
Old 05-26-16, 03:57 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I don't know of any Lexus dealers within 200 miles of me that are "no haggle", and, from reading posts on this board in which people have talked about their purchase experiences, I would guess that the same is true with most Lexus dealers.

Also, there really is no such things as a "no haggle" dealer. Even if the prices for vehicles are supposedly not open to negotiation, there is always still the opportunity to negotiate the value of trade ins, lease terms, financing terms, and other factors that are a part of the complete purchase.
Old 05-26-16, 04:29 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Lexus was going to try "No Haggle" see here:Not sure anything ever became of it.

Lexus USA Dealerships Experimenting with No-Haggle Pricing, August 2015

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/t...e-pricing.865/
Old 05-26-16, 04:35 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Not where I live in SE Pennsylvania...
Old 05-26-16, 04:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Not where I live in SE Pennsylvania...
It's the same here.

Lexus is rolling out a pilot/test of no haggle dealerships in 12 stores around the country.
Old 05-26-16, 04:48 PM
krieltb
Driver School Candidate

Sorry. Not trying to hijack thread.

Local dealership prides itsself on no haggle/hassle. Had read that the brand was expanding the program to all locations somewhere.