ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Hesitation when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 06:55 AM
Nedg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation when accelerating

Our 2015 es350 with 2,500 miles hesitates when accelerating from a dead stop, such as from a stop light. We are told this is to be expected with this vehicle. The dealership test-drove the car and say there's no problem. But this hesitation is unlike any other car we've experienced. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks very much. Ned
Old 05-14-16, 07:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I've heard others complain of this, but it's not the norm. Search around. Can't remember if there was any resolution.
Old 05-14-16, 07:54 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedg
Our 2015 es350 with 2,500 miles hesitates when accelerating from a dead stop, such as from a stop light. We are told this is to be expected with this vehicle. The dealership test-drove the car and say there's no problem. But this hesitation is unlike any other car we've experienced. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks very much. Ned
I also have a 2015 ES350 and have not experienced any hesitation. However, be sure you have it set to NORMAL or SPORT. If it is in ECONOMY mode, it will accelerate much slower. The ECO mode gives you very smooth acceleration.
Old 05-14-16, 12:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Have not experienced any drivability issues with my nearly 4 year old '13 ES 350. Hesitation can be due to numerous issues and usually is hard to pin down.
Old 05-15-16, 02:07 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No such issue with my 2015 with 5K miles.
Old 05-15-16, 04:49 PM
airgas1998
Driver

mark me down as never having this issue on my 15' either....
Old 05-21-16, 04:15 PM
USALV
Driver

Hi there

Here's a link to another thread that talked about this same problem. Hopefully this will help you find a solution to your problem.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...us-speeds.html
Old 05-26-16, 06:24 PM
USALV
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...us-speeds.html

I also found this. I know that this isn't an Es 350. But it's a Lexus. Hopefully this will help you out
Old 05-30-16, 06:47 PM
USALV
Driver

Suggestion 1

Suggestion 2

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...esitation.html

Hopefully this will help if you have yet to find a solution to your problem.
Old 01-17-17, 09:22 AM
techbob
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 Also

These is a long thread about this on another forum regarding 2013 models that indicated Lexus knows about and has decided to do nothing.

I think it is time to officially complain to Consumer Product Safety
Old 01-20-17, 06:04 AM
roninlexus
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as an FYI, I have been checking my "new" 2013 ES against a few of these posts. In regards to the OPs issue, my car is somewhat opposite. After backing out cold, I'll go to neutral than drive and the car immediately moves forward then while I apply the gas, zero hesitation. I'm in Colorado so we have mornings at 45 and I think the record so far was -18.
Old 03-29-18, 04:04 PM
stewartg
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2013 ES that hesitates sometimes, at the most inopportune moments, when pulling out into traffic. It has only been from a stop or maybe 5 miles per hour. I have not been in Sport mode when this has happened, only in Eco or Normal modes. Invariably, I am pulling into traffic when it happens, which is NOT a good time for it to happen. Fortunately I have been conservative enough with spacing that no accidents have occurred. I have had it in the dealership, Sewell Lexus- Dallas, and have complained twice about it. The first time they said that everything checked out so I decided to stop using the Eco mode since I just figured the computer didn't know what to do because I was switching between two different modes at times (Normal and Eco). The second time I took it into the dealer, I was only driving in Normal mode and, again, it happened a couple of times in critical situations. They insulted my intelligence by saying it was tire slippage and handed me a zeroxed sheet with new tires and prices. I was a gentleman and did not tell the manager where he could put the sheet of paper. Today was the second time that it has happened in a two week span and again, I have only been driving in Normal mode. I go back to the dealer next month for the 60,000 mile check up.

Can someone suggest to me what I should tell them? Because I am going to ask for a loaner car and will keep that loaner car till they come up with a definitive answer to my problem.
Old 04-07-18, 07:31 AM
RA102723
5th Gear

I have the same problem with my 2014 ES, 25K miles. The really nervous times are making a left turn from a stop across oncoming traffic. About the time I've turned into the other lane and need to accelerate is not a good time for the car to hesitate for a frightful 2 or 3 seconds. Hitting the accelerator doesn't seem to help but does result in a quick lurch when the car wakes up. If I'm not in a panic situation, I'll check how long the hesitation lasts and it seems to stay under 4 seconds.

I purchased the car used and haven't taken it to a local dealer yet. The car is still inside warranty guess that's my next step. I was hoping that someone had reported a solution.
Old 04-09-18, 09:42 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

i have a 2015 es as well and it in no way does that and that by no means should be normal. They are sweeping something under the rug here
Old 11-10-18, 09:35 PM
pieth
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Late to this thread but I experienced something similar with my 2013 GS. Brought to dealer, all things checked out. I paid close attention and realized if I was two footing it, that caused it. I was able to recreate. So if I hit the gas before brake was fully released the car really hesitated, like limp mode style. I’d have to double tap gas to go. For me as above it was the brake not being released fully when two footing it. Try it and see if that’s the cause.

Quick Reply: Hesitation when accelerating