ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2015 Lexus ES350 or 2016 Honda Accord Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-16, 04:39 AM
TrapperBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Lexus ES350 or 2016 Honda Accord Touring

Hello Forum Members. Anyone familiar with a 2016 Honda Accord Touring Sedan? Looking to make a vehicle purchase between a 2015 pre-owned Lexus ES350 w/nav, or a new 2016 Honda Accord Touring Sedan. This is the top-of-the-line Accord. The ES350 is about $2,500 to $3,000 more than the Accord. Like both much. The ES350 is more luxurious, and the Accord is more of a sport sedan. Thank you for any input!
Old 05-01-16, 06:03 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TrapperBoy
Hello Forum Members. Anyone familiar with a 2016 Honda Accord Touring Sedan? Looking to make a vehicle purchase between a 2015 pre-owned Lexus ES350 w/nav, or a new 2016 Honda Accord Touring Sedan. This is the top-of-the-line Accord. The ES350 is about $2,500 to $3,000 more than the Accord. Like both much. The ES350 is more luxurious, and the Accord is more of a sport sedan. Thank you for any input!

Such different cars in feel. Both good choices and reliable, good resale, and wouldn't discount the ES for being barely used and might be able to negotiate it more. The ES isn't so sporty, and that's a good thing, unless you want sporty, and if you did then I might include the IS on my list to check out. You should drive your options as much as you can, pull down the vanity mirror and see which one puts the biggest smile on YOUR face. Buy that one.
Old 05-01-16, 06:23 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

I have a 2014 Honda EX-L which is second to the Touring model. I believe that the cars are virtually the same except for the suspension. I also own a 2013 ES 350. I'm here to tell you that IMO there is NO comparison between the two models. I'm not entirely pleased with the Nav system in the ES, but the Hondalink system is even worse. Do yourself a favor and thoroughly try using the system in the Honda. It will make your head explode. In addition, the ride, noise, handling, and fit and finish are all inferior to Lexus. Thankfully, this is my wife's car...

Last edited by bc6152; 05-01-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 07:08 AM
hkben
9th Gear

As a owner of two Honda, 2014 Civic and 2009 Odyssey, I would not recommend for any Honda cars using CVT. I have almost the same as you choosing between 2015 Accord and 2015 ES350 last year. When I test drive the Accord, its transmission is very rare (due to CVT characteristic). You can check online to see what the complians are about Honda CVT. This year 2016, I bought my new 2016 ES-350 (it looked like better handling and suspension than 2015 model). Good luck.

Old 05-01-16, 04:04 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I have a 2014 Honda EX-L which is second to the Touring model. I believe that the cars are virtually the same except for the suspension. I also own a 2013 ES 350. I'm here to tell you that IMO there is NO comparison between the two models. I'm not entirely pleased with the Nav system in the ES, but the Hondalink system is even worse. Do yourself a favor and thoroughly try using the system in the Honda. It will make your head explode. In addition, the ride, noise, handling, and fit and finish are all inferior to Lexus. Thankfully, this is my wife's car...
I've owned both the Honda (Touring) as well, although both in hybrid flavor. Although the Accord is a great car, I agree that there is no comparison between the two with the Lexus ES being miles above the Honda. If you prefer a brand new car, however, go for the ''16 Accord.
Old 05-01-16, 04:51 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I concur with the above opinions. I had bought a new 2015 EX-L and had it less than 6 months before selling it and getting an ES. For me the leg room while driving felt very cramped and I'm only 5'11. I currently also have a 2015 Accord Sport that my son drives and every time I go someplace in it I'm reminded that there really isn't a comparison between the 2 cars. Both are extremely reliable but if you want a better riding, quieter and smoother operating transmission along with nicer interior materials go with the ES. I never looked back and my wife also agrees as she has made some of the same statements to me about the 2 vehicles. Good luck
Old 05-01-16, 05:19 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Agree with all the above posts. I agonized over the same decision before buying my 300h. They are both different class of vehicles. Although the Honda is a great car, it is really built to compete well against the Camry, Altima, Sonata et. al., and against those it does well. The ES is a class above in refinement, and your will feel it every time you drive it.

Also, the benefit of a slightly used ES will be that the previous owner would have taken a bit of a hit on the depreciation. With the new Honda you will have to take the depreciation. The ES 350 is bullet proof, and a slightly used one will run as good as new.

At selling time you will almost be guaranteed to get at least as much back on the ES, as the Accord, likely more.
Old 05-01-16, 06:25 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Also, the benefit of a slightly used ES will be that the previous owner would have taken a bit of a hit on the depreciation. With the new Honda you will have to take the depreciation. The ES 350 is bullet proof, and a slightly used one will run as good as new.

Good point!
Old 05-01-16, 10:44 PM
ashaikh
Driver School Candidate

Coming from a family of accords ('03, '08, '12 x2, '14) the gulf in luxury between the two is vast. The accord is a great car however the comfort in the ES350 is on another level. Driving dynamics between the two, the accord is much more engaging and the sounds system is better, the lexus non-ml sound system is **** even with the gimmicky surround sound.
Old 05-01-16, 11:07 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Visit a Lexus service area and a Honda service area. You will have your mind made up! I No comparison.
Old 05-02-16, 11:06 AM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 Acura TL , pretty much a the Accord Touring, and helped my daughter in purchasing a 2015 Honda Accord Touring w/V-6. I just bought a 2013 ES-350/Nav UL package for my wife and it's difficult to compare the two since they are different animals. Honda/Acura builds a great, reliable car that should give you years of trouble free miles and will hold it's value but does not compare in quality to the Lexus. Now owning both, the Lexus is a more quiet, refined ride compared to the Honda/Acura which sits lower, and handles the corners in spirited driving better. Having only owned the Lexus for a few days, I could see myself trading tor another Lexus for myself when the time comes. You can't go wrong with either cars, just know that your choice is dependant on the type of driving and handling you are expecting. FWIW, I was extremely impressed with the Lexus dealer and service department compared to Honda and Acura. Lexus employees take the surveys extremely seriously and JMHO, they seem more polished then Honda/Acura. Good luck with either choice and post on your decision.
Mark
Old 05-02-16, 12:54 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

It should be Accord vs. Camry. The ES is not a Camry.
Old 05-02-16, 03:28 PM
TrapperBoy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replies and valuable input! Very much appreciated!
Old 05-02-16, 07:53 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Thank you all for your replies and valuable input! Very much appreciated!
Driving home today at at the stoplights was a new Honda Touring Car right in front of me. Definitely a different (lower) class of car than a Lexus. A quick look is all you need to confirm that.

Add to the fact that Honda Accords are such a common car.
Old 05-02-16, 10:29 PM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fully loaded accord (touring) is 10k cheaper than similarly equipped ES. With that said, what you get for that extra $10k is definitely worth the price and more. I owned 2008 accord EXL 4cyl before moving onto es350. Two just can't compare. ES is better in every aspect. Mind you that I'm not into sports cars and comfortable quiet ride is all I care about. Maintenance difference between Honda and ES350 is just the difference between 4cyl and 6cyl. With v6 accord, it will be very similar. Both Honda and Lexus are very reliable and will rarely break down. If it does, a simple repair can be done DIY. Japanese cars are easy in that regard. Of course this is Lexus forum, so answers will be biased. If you ask driveaccord forum. They'll probably have different opinion on how ES is glorified camry. Try asking both.

Quick Reply: 2015 Lexus ES350 or 2016 Honda Accord Touring