ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Noob....posting 1st Thread on 2013 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 03:59 PM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Noob....posting 1st Thread on 2013 ES 350

Hi all. Great to know you guys are here to help. Just purchased a 2013 ES350 w/Nav in Starfire Pearl, Parchment interior for the wife. She has always wanted to step up to a Lexus with this color combo and it will be her baby, although with the rear lip spoiler and the test drive I am now hooked as well. I am a classic car collector and the only other forum I have ever posted on is the Corvette Forum which I have been a member for over 15 years. Great wealth of info and the Off Topic Section can get pretty amusing

Anyway, here goes for my 1st question since we pickup the ES tomorrow. With only 20K miles, car was put in service 05/08/2013, it's an off lease, 1 owner vehicle (CARFAX is perfect) and purchasing thru a Lexus Dealer in Delaware. I live in Owings Mills, MD, our house is right behind MD Public TV, where they film Motor Week. The car has passed the Lexus inspection to be "L" Certified (CPO) but the dealer is giving us the option of either taking the Lexus extended warranty or the savings on the purchase. Would really appreciate the opinion of the Forum members regarding my course of action and what I should expect to be a fair price for the "L" certified certificate. Thanks to all
Old 04-29-16, 04:36 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Welcome to CL fellow Lexus AND Corvette enthusiast. As far as taking the extended warranty, you'll find that most members will pass and take the money. It is a matter of choice and if you'll sleep better knowing that your car is protected for X amount of years, then go for it. Just know that you are buying a very reliable car, one that is consistently at the top of the list for few repairs and for excellent reliability. According to KBB the 2013 with various options is in the area of $28k to $30k in excellent condition. www.KBB.com
Old 04-29-16, 05:01 PM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Welcome to CL fellow Lexus AND Corvette enthusiast. As far as taking the extended warranty, you'll find that most members will pass and take the money. It is a matter of choice and if you'll sleep better knowing that your car is protected for X amount of years, then go for it. Just know that you are buying a very reliable car, one that is consistently at the top of the list for few repairs and for excellent reliability. According to KBB the 2013 with various options is in the area of $28k to $30k in excellent condition. www.KBB.com

Thanks for the quick reply and comments. BTW, beautiful C-2 'Vert Don't want to be a penny wise, pound foolish on benefits of CPO. One of my employee's purchased a CPO L460 and last year the Nav screen went out. Without the extended warranty he would have to pay $$$$ out of pocket and had a loaner for the time his Lexus was in the shop. I don't want to be a year from now.
Old 04-29-16, 05:33 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350mark
Thanks for the quick reply and comments. BTW, beautiful C-2 'Vert Don't want to be a penny wise, pound foolish on benefits of CPO. One of my employee's purchased a CPO L460 and last year the Nav screen went out. Without the extended warranty he would have to pay $$$$ out of pocket and had a loaner for the time his Lexus was in the shop. I don't want to be a year from now.
But remember that, even without CPO designation, you still have over a year left on the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, and you still have over 3 years left on the power train warranty.

While there is no guarantee that you won't have to pay for a repair out-of-pocket if you don't have the CPO warranty, the odds are strongly in favor of the likelihood that you will not have any out-of-pocket repair costs that come close to the couple of thousand dollars extra that you will be paying for a CPO warranty. Dealers love being able to sell CPO vehicles because doing so is a major source of increasing their profits on the sale of a used vehicle.
Old 04-29-16, 05:58 PM
fpb1980
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 300h with 48k miles, I took the extended warranty. Im now covered for the entire time of my financing. Imho Id rather be safe than sorry.
Old 04-29-16, 06:04 PM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
But remember that, even without CPO designation, you still have over a year left on the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, and you still have over 3 years left on the power train warranty.

While there is no guarantee that you won't have to pay for a repair out-of-pocket if you don't have the CPO warranty, the odds are strongly in favor of the likelihood that you will not have any out-of-pocket repair costs that come close to the couple of thousand dollars extra that you will be paying for a CPO warranty. Dealers love being able to sell CPO vehicles because doing so is a major source of increasing their profits on the sale of a used vehicle.

Yes, that is one of the reasons I went nearly 80 miles out of my way to Wilmington, Delaware this ES350 was low miles, excellent CARFAX and still under the factory original warranty on BTB and power train. Have noticed some Lexus dealers giving the option on CPO. My salesman told me the "L" certified extended warranty would cost approx. $1400.00, but one issue after the factory warranty expirers and extended kicks in would probably pay for itself in the long run. Again, many thanks for the reply.
Old 04-29-16, 08:32 PM
krnboy817
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just bought a 2013 ES 350 exact same as your configuration. the L certified that i received with mine was remainder of the new car warranty... then once it is over the L certified warranty will kick in for 2 years giving me a total of 6 years of warranty with unlimited miles for the 2 years.

i was able to walk away with the vehicle at 23k miles priced at $30K + TTL ...

i have always purchased CPO vehicles since 2007 and i made one mistake of purchasing a new VW GTI 2 years ago that the warranty ran out on... which is the reason i got into the ES 350. the mechanism on the vehicle is pretty simple given todays vehicles... v6 with 6 spd auto front wheel drive so it will be easy to fix if needed.

my point is you can work on the price (negotiate) while getting the certification on the car if price is your factor. car sales business is a market sales business meaning dealerships dont count on one deal to survive. from what i read on your thread you seem to have positioned your self financially well so why would a dealership lose a guaranteed sales opportunity? plus from they way i see it these days it seems like they count on maintenance/ service for revenue.
Old 04-30-16, 03:56 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Great color choice; My 14 is also Starfire Pearl but with a Black interior. I love Motorweek! It must be cool having them located behind your home. In any event whether or not you take the extended warranty to me would depend on the amount of miles you estimate it will be driven. More miles and I would take the warranty. Less miles and I'd take the money. Only you can be the judge of how much "on the road" your car will be. As others have said you have purchased a very reliable automobile which will should give you many years of faithful service. Just my .02.
Old 04-30-16, 04:09 AM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krnboy817
just bought a 2013 ES 350 exact same as your configuration. the L certified that i received with mine was remainder of the new car warranty... then once it is over the L certified warranty will kick in for 2 years giving me a total of 6 years of warranty with unlimited miles for the 2 years.

i was able to walk away with the vehicle at 23k miles priced at $30K + TTL ...

i have always purchased CPO vehicles since 2007 and i made one mistake of purchasing a new VW GTI 2 years ago that the warranty ran out on... which is the reason i got into the ES 350. the mechanism on the vehicle is pretty simple given todays vehicles... v6 with 6 spd auto front wheel drive so it will be easy to fix if needed.

my point is you can work on the price (negotiate) while getting the certification on the car if price is your factor. car sales business is a market sales business meaning dealerships dont count on one deal to survive. from what i read on your thread you seem to have positioned your self financially well so why would a dealership lose a guaranteed sales opportunity? plus from they way i see it these days it seems like they count on maintenance/ service for revenue.

Great points and much appreciated. This is my 1st purchase of a CPO, always bought new. Knowing that the ES350 is a great, reliable vehicle and new generation Avalon based, not Camry is another reason for the purchase since we are trading in an Avalon that has treated us well. I am picking up the new car today and I guess my main question is the Lexus "L" extended warranty price negotiable since I have already agreed on the cost of the ES350?
Old 04-30-16, 11:13 AM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Welcome and Congrats on the purchase
Old 05-01-16, 08:45 PM
krnboy817
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great points and much appreciated. This is my 1st purchase of a CPO, always bought new. Knowing that the ES350 is a great, reliable vehicle and new generation Avalon based, not Camry is another reason for the purchase since we are trading in an Avalon that has treated us well. I am picking up the new car today and I guess my main question is the Lexus "L" extended warranty price negotiable since I have already agreed on the cost of the ES350?
I'm not sure if the cost to get it certified is negotiable ... But what I can say is that as a total price of the car that is certified, you can negotiate on it. I also forgot to mention that financing is alway better with the car being a cert. So hopefully you were able to negotiate as a total packag and not in separate parts. But at the end of the day a good deal is the one that your most comfortable with.
Old 05-02-16, 10:42 AM
ES350mark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALtin107
Welcome and Congrats on the purchase
Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted by krnboy817
I'm not sure if the cost to get it certified is negotiable ... But what I can say is that as a total price of the car that is certified, you can negotiate on it. I also forgot to mention that financing is alway better with the car being a cert. So hopefully you were able to negotiate as a total packag and not in separate parts. But at the end of the day a good deal is the one that your most comfortable with.
It worked out that the CPO "L" worked in our advantage. The dealer gave us the option of not paying for extended warranty although the ES 350 was inspected and passed the criteria. Since Lexus is offering 1.9% financing for qualified buyers and vehicles we took it. Drove the car back from Wilmington, Delaware to Owings Mills, MD and did not want to give the keys back to the wife. Love the car and according to Computer the MPG was 34.7 when I got home since it was all highway driving. Although a different animal, would consider another Lexus to replace my Acura TL with the tech package.
Old 05-02-16, 10:57 AM
BlackAdam
Driver School Candidate

Although a different animal, would consider another Lexus to replace my Acura TL with the tech package.
I just replaced an '07 Acura TL Type-S with a '13 ES350. And you are so right, very different animal. But, it was the kind of change I was looking for. Congrats on your new car.