ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES Production to Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 07:27 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to use their Service Department since I LOVE them for taking extraordinary care of me for 12 years. But Sales Department will be become nonexistent to me the very moment I leave their lot in my new car. With appropriate after-sale survey.
Old 05-22-16, 07:33 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Originally Posted by r350
This does not sound right. In my case, once the price was agreed I had to sign a Buyer Order that included the out-the-door price with the specific options I had ordered as well as all taxes, fees and charges. After a few weeks I received a spec sheet with a temporary VIN and a list of the requested options and some accessories that I did not request (probably just a template). When I received the call about the car being ready I specifically asked if there was going to be any change to the price and was told it would not. I asked if I would still be able to take advantage of the $500 incentive if I financed with Lexus and was told I could get that as well.

The only additional amount that I paid over the buyer order was for Tire and Paint insurance ($750 for 5 years). We upgraded to the 17" alloy wheels and from past experience I think this may a worthwhile investment.

In my view the key to this was talking to a manager rather than a sales agent. It just so happened the day that I called was very busy so this manager (Business Development Coordinator) was assisting by taking calls. He did not have any commission to worry about and was very forthcoming.

I had previously worked with a sales agent at another dealership but even though he was nice on a personal level, I did not receive the professional service that I expected. This is why I was willing to work with a dealer over an hour away; there was no pressure or angle. Just good customer service. The manager even called me after the purchase to ask how we liked the car and whether we had any concerns.
The more I think about that whole ordeal, the more I am leaning toward contacting General Sales Manager and discuss with him a whole experience.
Old 05-22-16, 07:41 AM
StevenTodd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
I will. I am really worried due the fact that salesman mentioned that he emailed me a few weeks ago about the production date, but he never did. He also told at the beginning that "Company policy on all special orders is that final price will be given when the car is actually built", implying that cost of production may go up and I will have to pay the difference. I already verified with Lexus that they are not planning to change it for 2016 models.

I do not like any of that and leaning toward to request a switching sales consultant. Not sure if it is right move (wife discouraging me). I have never got a purchase order from the dealer.

Something is going on under the scene with that dealer. Two sales managers are gone since February. One of them I knew so well that I even requested that he should not be near my car deal in any shape or form.

All in all my vacation plans went to the toilet and instead of enjoying the experience I am angry and nervous. not to mention that my old 2002 ES 300 on very last leg of its life (recently AC died and have to live with that whole summer).

I have ordered ES 350 in Atomic Silver, Black leather, Luxury, Nav, Safety System, Parking Assist, BSM, heated wheel, Panoramic Roof and 17" wheels

I think the Sales Consultant is giving you a line of BS. When I special ordered my car I received a Lexus Worksheet which outlined the MSRP of the car, the dealership discount, trade-in value of my car and my $500 deposit. As a result, the worksheet gave me the net cost due upon delivery of the vehicle.

When I got the car I noticed the MSRP of the car on the sticker was $245 more than the MSRP on the worksheet. Discovered the car included the carpet trunk mat ($105), Wheel Locks ($75) and Cargo Net ($65) which I had not ordered. I do not know why these items were included. However, since I had brought a Cashier's check for the due amount listed on the Lexus worksheet that is the price I paid. The Sales Associate did not mention why these additional items were included. As a result, I got these items for free.
Old 05-22-16, 07:55 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
I think the Sales Consultant is giving you a line of BS. When I special ordered my car I received a Lexus Worksheet which outlined the MSRP of the car, the dealership discount, trade-in value of my car and my $500 deposit. As a result, the worksheet gave me the net cost due upon delivery of the vehicle.

When I got the car I noticed the MSRP of the car on the sticker was $245 more than the MSRP on the worksheet. Discovered the car included the carpet trunk mat ($105), Wheel Locks ($75) and Cargo Net ($65) which I had not ordered. I do not know why these items were included. However, since I had brought a Cashier's check for the due amount listed on the Lexus worksheet that is the price I paid. The Sales Associate did not mention why these additional items were included. As a result, I got these items for free.
I have the piece of paper showing $4,304.00 discount off MSRP with stipulation saying: "Discount from build MSRP only. Price may vary." with no signatures.
Old 05-26-16, 05:53 PM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Alright folks, just wanted to update you on my saga of a factory order.

A couple of days ago my salesman stopped replying to my emails and I've decided a dealer that I am firing him.

General Sales Manager took over and told me that he personally handle my order.

Production of my February order is scheduled for June 29 (!!!).

When a asked to verify the specs, on a worksheet I've noticed different figures. After a closer look, I found that paint protection film and body-side moldings are missing, but instead I saw lid spoiler and the accessory package included.

That Manager told me that built was adjusted by western region since they were trying to find a closer match with cars that are going into production. What a BS!

I informed him that I am willing to buy ONLY the car that I have ordered at the price that was mentioned at the time when I placed my deposit. I will not accept any specs modification or price adjustments/difference or I will walk away from the delivery.

So this is what have got from Kuni Lexus of Greenwood Village in Colorado after being a loyal customer for over 12 years.
Old 05-26-16, 05:58 PM
StevenTodd
Driver

A couple of days ago my salesman stopped replying to my emails and I've decided a dealer that I am firing him.

When a asked to verify the specs, on a worksheet I've noticed different figures. After a closer look, I found that paint protection film and body-side moldings are missing, but instead I saw lid spoiler and the accessory package included.

That Manager told me that built was adjusted by western region since they were trying to find a closer match with cars that are going into production. What a BS!

I informed him that I am willing to buy ONLY the car that I have ordered at the price that was mentioned at the time when I placed my deposit. I will not accept any specs modification or price adjustments/difference or I will walk away from the delivery.

So this is what have got from Kuni Lexus of Greenwood Village in Colorado after being a loyal customer for over 12 years.

Sounds like you are getting a raw deal. If I was you I would walk. I would also call Lexus Headquarters and tell them about the lousy service you are getting from this dealership.
Old 05-26-16, 06:10 PM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
Sounds like you are getting a raw deal. If I was you I would walk. I would also call Lexus Headquarters and tell them about the lousy service you are getting from this dealership.

Unfortunately my 2002 ES300 at 174000miles is falling apart
Old 05-27-16, 11:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

It is not likely that the paint protection film and body side moldings would be installed at the factory. Likely, they would be port installed after the car was built. So, I would not expect to see those items on the build order.

Also, understand that, even when you place a custom order for a car, Lexus is not going to be "custom building" that car, and they are not going to stop the assembly line's production of other cars to build your car. If you were willing to wait until they were doing a production run with the exact build of your order, you might get the exact car that you wanted. My guess is that, since you have already told them that you have waited longer than you wanted to wait, they found an upcoming production run in which they were building vehicles as close as possible to what you want, and that production run is going to be building vehicles very close to but not exactly the same as what you would ideally want. The trade off is likely that you can have a car that is very close to what you want built in June, or you can wait months longer until they are building cars equipped exactly the way you want it to be equipped, and there is the possibility that they may never be building cars equipped exactly the way you want it done. Again, they aren't going to shut down the production run to build a car for you. The economics related to doing that would unworkable.
Old 05-27-16, 11:46 AM
r350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
It is not likely that the paint protection film and body side moldings would be installed at the factory. Likely, they would be port installed after the car was built. So, I would not expect to see those items on the build order.

Also, understand that, even when you place a custom order for a car, Lexus is not going to be "custom building" that car, and they are not going to stop the assembly line's production of other cars to build your car. If you were willing to wait until they were doing a production run with the exact build of your order, you might get the exact car that you wanted. My guess is that, since you have already told them that you have waited longer than you wanted to wait, they found an upcoming production run in which they were building vehicles as close as possible to what you want, and that production run is going to be building vehicles very close to but not exactly the same as what you would ideally want. The trade off is likely that you can have a car that is very close to what you want built in June, or you can wait months longer until they are building cars equipped exactly the way you want it to be equipped, and there is the possibility that they may never be building cars equipped exactly the way you want it done. Again, they aren't going to shut down the production run to build a car for you. The economics related to doing that would unworkable.
The custom order process worked very well for me. I asked for very specific options and Lexus delivered everything I ordered. The only deviation was that they "threw in" bi-Led lights with my Safety System+ package. The manager I dealt with sent me the list of options I had request and went over them with me before submitting the order. He clearly stated that he wanted to make sure that I got exactly what I wanted.

In my case, I know they are not building cars with the Nightfall/Flaxen/Bamboo combination because I couldn't find them in any dealership up/down the East Coast. The few I did find (without bamboo), did not have the options I required (LSS, Nav, BSM, PP, without ML, LP or UL). Moreover, on the Lexus website, it isn't even possible to build the combination of Nightfall Mica, Flaxen and Bamboo for some reason. I called Lexus and they couldn't tell me whether that combination was allowed. The manager from the dealership made the calls to confirm it could be done.

Despite all of these road-blocks (pun intended), my car was at the dealership in under 2 months from the date I signed the buyers order. The dealership told me it would take "3-4 months" so I was pleasantly surprised when it came so quickly. Either it was efficient service or an amazing coincidence that someone else may have ordered a similar car and cancelled.
Old 05-27-16, 12:46 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I also had no problem special ordering my 2013 ES300h exactly as I wanted it. It took every bit of the 4 months I was told it would take to make it and get it here from Japan.
Old 05-27-16, 01:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

The custom order process worked very well for me. I asked for very specific options and Lexus delivered everything I ordered. The only deviation was that they "threw in" bi-Led lights with my Safety System+ package. The manager I dealt with sent me the list of options I had request and went over them with me before submitting the order. He clearly stated that he wanted to make sure that I got exactly what I wanted.
That is precisely my point. When they built your car, they did not merely decide to "throw in" the bi-LED headlights. Instead, at that time, the cars that they were building with the Safety package all had bi-LED headlights, and it would not have made sense for them to stop their normal production to build you a car without the bi-LED headlights. In much the same way with Brn2fish's car, I'm sure that the cars that the factory was building similar to what he wanted had the rear spoiler and the accessory package, and it would not have made sense to stop planned production to build a car for him without those options.

Despite all of these road-blocks (pun intended), my car was at the dealership in under 2 months from the date I signed the buyers order. The dealership told me it would take "3-4 months" so I was pleasantly surprised when it came so quickly. Either it was efficient service or an amazing coincidence that someone else may have ordered a similar car and cancelled.
I'm also confident that whether it takes 2 months or 4 months or some other length of time to get a special order is a matter of chance and depends on how soon the factory will be building cars similar to those in the special order. Thus, two cars with different options, packages, colors, etc. could be ordered at the same time. One might be built in 2 months, and the other might not be built until 4 moths or later. What I'm not sure of is what ability the dealer has, at the time a special order is placed, to find out exactly how long it will be before the factory will be building cars like the one ordered.
Old 05-27-16, 02:44 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I have special ordered my last three Lexus and I have had good delivery times but I don't know if that is someone doing something right or just luck. I make the order in time for that month's cutoff, usually about the 17th I think, and hear not to long after that the order has been accepted and then later I get a production date and again a little later a VIN. Times have gone from barely two months to over three but never longer. My special orders are not that special, maybe a power trunk release or an interior color combination - matte bamboo this time - black used to be unusual but not anymore. Mostly what I am doing is deleting maybe a couple thousand dollars worth of unwanted items like 18" wheels and always all of the high profit port-installed-options, wheel locks, cargo net, trunk spoiler, illuminated door sills etc.

It seems that with U.S. assembly of most ES 350's delivery times have gotten worse rather than better which hopefully is just a start-up thing.

Dave Mac
Old 05-27-16, 03:07 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Last week I picked up my ES 300h. I checked the door panel and it said the car was manufactured in Japan in March 2016. That seems quite fast from the posts here.
Old 05-27-16, 05:21 PM
StevenTodd
Driver

I special ordered a 2016 in Mica Red, Flaxen with the Honey Bamboo trim, Premium Package with the Mark Levinson Premium Audio Package and it took exactly 16 weeks. The car came with the carpet trunk mat, wheel locks, and cargo net which I had not ordered. The dealership did not charge me for these items.
Old 05-28-16, 04:40 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz

Custom building car is the process that has been established based on the ability to manipulate with components during the assembly. This is why me, or anyone who wants to pursue a custom ordered vehicle has expectations based on what is being advertised. Otherwise, that "build your Lexus" feature should be labeled as "for inventory research only and not to be used in car purchasing process". For the most part, custom order works the same way when you Fleet Manager ordering cars from your allocation, selecting anticipated to be popular features and nobody stopping assembly line either. I also have serious doubts that that line is being stopped due one or two components installation. The manufacturing process is streamlined and efficient to allow to attain high numbers of production.

I also perfectly realised where film and molding are being installed. The point is that they are installed outside of a dealership (when we are talking about factory order) and at the substantially different price.

Once again, my expectations based on what is being advertised and what is available and if in order to accommodate the selection of different components requires stopping the production line, something is not right with one of the world's largest car manufacturers. Not to mention that many companies out there are specializing on highly customizable cars production at the high numbers.

Why am I saying this? Because I am being reasonable in my expectations as to factory order with Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2016 ES Production to Delivery