ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Car wash and smart keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 04:55 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wash and smart keys

In my old Lexus, I am leaving car keys in the ignition when I am taking it to the car wash.

How do you guys handling those smart keys in new models? Leaving inside the car or keeping with you? Does car wash personnel knows how to handle those?
Old 02-27-16, 05:29 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I leave mine in the cup holder. Yes the car wash guys see thousands of these cars so they know how to start them.
Steve
Old 02-27-16, 06:10 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I agree, the only option is to leave them in the car - cup holder, console bin or whatever. I actually try to make mine a little hard to locate - like the change holder to the left of the steering wheel - because it concerns me a little when they either try to place the smart key on the windshield or somewhere away from the car. And even if the car is running when I get in it I will often turn it off and restart it to make sure they have returned the correct smart key to me. Hiding it a bit makes it less likely they it will get dropped or lost and if the car starts for them they don't look much beyond the cup holder for the key.

I remember when smart keys came into play maybe 10 years ago already there was a lot of concern and instructions about how to deal with car washes but they became commonplace pretty quickly. I remember the first few times with a BMW smart key the car wash guys would sit in the car all the way through the car wash - I think with the car running. Seems funny now.

Dave Mac
Old 02-27-16, 06:56 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also leave my smart key inside one of the cup holders. For the first few times I took her for a wash I forgot to leave my key in the car and the attendant had to come after me. Since I only go to my Lexus dealer for their complimentary wash (they do a great job), I never have a problem with the attendants knowing how to start the car.
Old 02-27-16, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I have always just left my keys in the passenger seat, no issues.
Old 02-27-16, 05:27 PM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Thanks, guys!
Got the idea.
Just in case if my current Lexus free car washes will expire with the old car. If not, I am safe for another 130 times
Old 02-28-16, 06:50 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
In my old Lexus, I am leaving car keys in the ignition when I am taking it to the car wash.

How do you guys handling those smart keys in new models? Leaving inside the car or keeping with you? Does car wash personnel knows how to handle those?
I do not trust car washes. I wash it, and the dealer washes it after service.
Old 02-28-16, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
If you don't trust car washes you certainly should not trust the dealer to wash it. I've had FAR, FAR more damage done to my car by one simple wash from the dealer than I ever have my high quality carwash I use.
Old 02-28-16, 09:30 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

So I don't trust dealer car washes OR commercial car washes. My car hasn't been to either in almost 4 years.
Most commercial car wash places have a bunch of idiots working for them who look for loose change while drying your car and do a poor job at it. Most but not all. My buddy had his Corvette run into a fence by one of these clowns.
Old 02-28-16, 12:27 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
Thanks, guys!
Got the idea.
Just in case if my current Lexus free car washes will expire with the old car. If not, I am safe for another 130 times
In other past threads, there have been a number of people who have reported that Lexus dealers, when washing their cars, have been less than careful in doing so and that they have gotten their cars back with (usually minor) damage to the finish.

I know that, for me, my cars are only washed by me by hand. It has been decades since one of my vehicles has been to a car wash, and, when I visit a dealer, I ask that they not wash the car.
Old 02-28-16, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't love commercial carwashes either, but quite frankly at this stage in my life with my work responsibilities and schedule coupled with having two young kids, free time is at a minimum and I just don't have time to hand wash my cars regularly. Hell, I only have time to run the van through the carwash every month or so.

The only way to get my car washed once a week is to run it through the carwash. I found a really good one, high quality equipment, uses lots of lubricating soap, they use all microfiber towels to dry and its kept damage and swirling to a minimum.
Old 02-29-16, 04:32 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

I am sure that anyone have own reasons to prefer one car was over another.

I was lucky damagewise with either. But one thing that they have in common - towels are not very clean when they wiping windshield from inside. I always have to correct this with my paper towels to remove stains that becoming visible in cool weather conditions. Other than that I am OK with dealer wash. I can have the opportunity to check different models up close, chat with salespeople, say hello to my favorite service advisor, etc.
Old 02-29-16, 05:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I know that, for me, my cars are only washed by me by hand. It has been decades since one of my vehicles has been to a car wash, and, when I visit a dealer, I ask that they not wash the car.
I try to wash mine by hand, always, but I did just take my ES to a touchless wash. I haven't had time to wash by hand and the salt build-up was getting ugly! I feel pretty safe taking it to these places as a last resort.

As far as telling the dealer not to wash it, I asked them at my 10k not to, but they did anyways. The car was spotless when I brought it in. It looked like crap after they washed it. All they said was "sorry".
Old 02-29-16, 08:22 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you don't trust car washes you certainly should not trust the dealer to wash it. I've had FAR, FAR more damage done to my car by one simple wash from the dealer than I ever have my high quality carwash I use.
The dealer inspects it before service, and I inspect it after service. I have owned Lexus since 1990, and never experience a problem.
Old 02-29-16, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The dealer inspects it before service, and I inspect it after service. I have owned Lexus since 1990, and never experience a problem.
You've been very fortunate lol. Just search for "dealer wash" here, and google "dealer wash" and see. Very common problem, and when I was detailing cars back years ago I would do at least 2 a week that had been destroyed by a simple dealer wash. I myself have had three different Lexus dealers horribly swirled and scratched up by dealer washes at three separate Lexus dealers.

Quick Reply: Car wash and smart keys