ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Car Covers (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 07:00 PM
bareflanks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Covers (merged threads)

Newbie here......2014 ES300h; live in So. Calif at the beach; single car garage that another car has to occupy. Never owned a car cover before, but now need one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Love the car!! Cheers.....
Old 01-04-14, 08:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If you are at all particular about fits and finishes, I'd suggest being very careful about choosing and using a car cover.

The good news about modern car finishes is that they have a depth and beauty that car finishes didn't have not that many years ago, but the bad news about modern car finishes is that the depth and beauty shows fine scratches much more than did the finishes on cars built not that long ago. If you have any dust at all on a vehicle and if you put a cover on it, any movement of the cover caused by the wind or even by putting the cover on and taking it off can grind the dust particles into the finish like sandpaper and create fine scratches. Those scratches won't be visible in some light, but, in other light, they will be visible. If the vehicle is a very light color, they might not be visible in most light, but they are much more likely to be an issue the darker the color of your vehicle is.

Years ago, I used car covers to protect vehicles that had to stay outside, but I'm not sure that I would consider using one today. And, if I did use a cover, I'd make sure that I spent enough money to buy a high quality cover with some sort of very soft lining that was capable of absorbing dust and not grinding it into the paint.

If, on the other hand, you are not that particular about the finish, the fine scratches may not be an issue with you.
Old 02-11-16, 03:29 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default good indoor car cover/16ES350 UL

Like the title states, car is always garaged and driven maybe once or twice a week. Not worried about price, but want a good custom fit and one that wont scratch.

Thanks
Old 02-11-16, 07:20 PM
pampas
Driver School Candidate

check ebay lots a nice ones there
Old 02-11-16, 07:31 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Probably not the best, but got the one at advance auto for $40. Pretty sure it was the midsize one (there's an ES350 on the box). The car has been under the car for about a month or two now, but no scratches or anything.
Old 02-11-16, 07:34 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

I bought two covers from California Car Covers. One for my '31 Ford Roadster and one for the Corvette. Both are always inside when not being driven. they were custom made for each car after being ordered and photos sent. Although these were purchased several years ago, they are about $250.00 each. I bought the "Noah" material - still available today - which is protective indoors and out. They fit like a glove on your hand.
I highly recommend them.
Old 02-04-18, 12:43 PM
johnspeke
Driver School Candidate

Default Car Covers

Hi,

New to the forum. I'll learn a lot here. I've done a couple different searches and can't find the many posts that must exist on car covers. Can anyone either point me in that direction or tell me about the covers you like? I'll be storing outdoors under the carport.

Thanks, New From Atlanta
Old 02-04-18, 03:33 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California Car Covers. I think the version I have is the multi-weave version and it is a fantastic cover. Only used for about 4 months and still looks new. My car is garage parked so I no longer use it. Trying to sell locally. Too bad you're not in Tennessee.

Last edited by user420; 02-04-18 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 06:15 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I own two classic cars and have used car covers for over 30 years. I don't use one on the Lexus but I can recommend thru experience. Most manufacturers name their covers.
One of my cars stayed outside and one was always inside. You can buy a cover that protects against weather in and out or just one for inside only. The covers I bought, and that have lasted many years, are the "Noah" brand from California Car Covers. I have one for inside and one for outside. The covers are custom made and the fit is excellent. One rule to go by is don't go cheap as you will regret it in the end.

GOOD LUCK!
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
johnspeke (02-06-18), user420 (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 06:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
One rule to go by is don't go cheap as you will regret it in the end.

GOOD LUCK!
That is an especially good rule to follow with modern car finishes. The finishes on cars today are very beautiful and the depth of the shine on them can be amazing, but the downside of those beautiful finishes is that they tend to show very fine scratches, polishing swirls, etc. much more than the finishes on cars built even a couple of decades ago.

Because of that, more care needs to be used in choosing and using car covers. First, it is good practice not to put a car cover on a car that has any dust on it because even slight movement of the cover over the car's finish can cause the dust to be abrasive and can put fine scratches into the finish. Further, if a low quality cover is used, the likelihood of it causing such fine scratches in the finish is much greater.

Last edited by lesz; 02-05-18 at 08:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
user420 (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 03:13 PM
johnspeke
Driver School Candidate

Two votes for California Car Covers. I'll take a look at those. Thanks.
Old 02-06-18, 04:07 PM
johnspeke
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered the "Noah" model from California Car Covers. Sounds like a solid cover.
Old 02-06-18, 07:15 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by johnspeke
Just ordered the "Noah" model from California Car Covers. Sounds like a solid cover.
I have two. A good choice. Good Luck!
Old 02-12-18, 04:45 PM
johnspeke
Driver School Candidate

The "Noah" cover was dropped off by Fed Ex today. Looks great, have it on the car right now and the fit is excellent.

When you are off to work in the morning and the cover is wet from overnight rain, what do you do with your cover? Bring it inside and let it dry during the day?
Old 02-12-18, 07:00 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

What I have done is try to drape it in such a manner that it can dry. Don't roll it up and let it sit. Also, the cover may be washed in a machine. Read the care instructions and it will last you a long time. One other thing; when you remove it and its dry, fold one side in, then the other an equal amount. Continue folding in and then fold it from back to front or reverse. GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: Car Covers (merged threads)