ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Is Lexus/Toyota refreshing the 3.5L V6 for 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 05:24 AM
MasterQeef
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Lexus/Toyota refreshing the 3.5L V6 for 2017?

The wife and I are entering the market for a new family sedan, and we are currently interested in the 2016 Acura TLX or the 2016 Lexus ES 350.

My concern with the Lexus is buying a 2016 car with a 2007 motor in it.

At this point Toyota's 3.5L V6 is lagging in the power, the torque, and the gas mileage, especially when you are comparing it to it's equivalents in the same class.

I.E. Honda refreshed their V6 in 2013, and the TLX is 290HP/268Torque and is getting on the freeway 34-35 MPH.

We test drove a TLX for just over an hour a few days ago, and I got a solid 34.4 MPH on the freeway the entire time we drove it. In the city driving that we did it was managing around 23.8 mpg.

We also test drove a 2016 ES 350 on the same freeway over the same one hour driving time, and it averaged 30 mph over the same personal test that my wife and I did. In the city driving that we did it was barely breaking 20 mpg.

BUT holy cow the Lexus overall is a much better car. It drove so much better, smoother, and the wife definitely preferred it.

We are willing to wait until the next model year though if Toyota has plans to put the new 3.5L V6 they introduced in the Tacoma last year into their sedans though.

Any word on if that is the plan, or is Toyota carrying over the current V6 making it 10 years old by this fall?

Thank you gentlemen!
Old 02-09-16, 05:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The 3.5 is a great engine. Quiet and smooth, but I agree it needs to be updated after 10 model years. Perhaps a new transmission too. I'd hate to see either go, but time moves on.
Old 02-09-16, 06:21 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

This engine was actually available in 2006, had it in a 2006 Avalon. IMO this is a great engine and I see no reason for Toyota to "update". Good HP, smooth running, reasonable mileage depending upon one's driving habits and skills. Thousands, maybe millions of them out there, so replacement and/or parts readily available.

I don't see Toyota replacing this bullet-proof engine in 2017. The transmission is another issue. Maybe an 8 speed auto would be nice...
Old 02-09-16, 06:28 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Keep in mind the TLX is having major issues with it's 9 speed transmission right now. Not sure if that has been resolved for 2016. The 9 speed is part of the reason why it gets good MPG, but I wouldn't want to deal with that shift logic on a daily basis.

The ES350 is a much safer bet as far as reliability goes, and as you already mentioned it's an all-around better vehicle.
Old 02-09-16, 06:43 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by MasterQeef
The wife and I are entering the market for a new family sedan, and we are currently interested in the 2016 Acura TLX or the 2016 Lexus ES 350.

My concern with the Lexus is buying a 2016 car with a 2007 motor in it.

At this point Toyota's 3.5L V6 is lagging in the power, the torque, and the gas mileage, especially when you are comparing it to it's equivalents in the same class.

I.E. Honda refreshed their V6 in 2013, and the TLX is 290HP/268Torque and is getting on the freeway 34-35 MPH.

We test drove a TLX for just over an hour a few days ago, and I got a solid 34.4 MPH on the freeway the entire time we drove it. In the city driving that we did it was managing around 23.8 mpg.

We also test drove a 2016 ES 350 on the same freeway over the same one hour driving time, and it averaged 30 mph over the same personal test that my wife and I did. In the city driving that we did it was barely breaking 20 mpg.

BUT holy cow the Lexus overall is a much better car. It drove so much better, smoother, and the wife definitely preferred it.

We are willing to wait until the next model year though if Toyota has plans to put the new 3.5L V6 they introduced in the Tacoma last year into their sedans though.

Any word on if that is the plan, or is Toyota carrying over the current V6 making it 10 years old by this fall?

Thank you gentlemen!
I don't understand what's going on with Toyota. They seem to be one step behind in their engine technology nowadays or they really don't want to go with the norm of turbo this supercharge that. BT we all know turbos and superchargers are one more added complexity. Toyota was never know for their fuel thrifty vehicles for as long as I can remember. Their ISF V-8 I have read by some gets mid to high 20's on the freeway. Well I have read that Corvettes get that as well so nothing earth shattering their but nonetheless still noteworthy. My IS300 gets terrible gas mileage unless you put the vaunted non ethanol fuel in it. But at about $.50/per gallon it about equals itself out. That's a 6 cylinder too. Low teens in winter city and 21-22 hwy maybe 23 all hwy. Horrible I'm all of this I can't answer your question. What I can suggest is that if fuel is a huge concern then you have to buy the Acura if not and the actual car is what is more important and how you spend your time behind the wheel go with what you will enjoy more and be more satisfied driving.
Old 02-09-16, 07:35 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Toyota/Lexus only does what has been proven in reliability and let the other technologies "have some time" before adopting them. .

For example, I don't like these 8 or 9 speed transmissions either -seem way too complex and just wear out more with more shifting. But I know my next car (probably in 8-10 years if this ES lasts!) will have one of these 9 speed transmission. The mileage requirements are increasing and automakers will have to use these transmissions for better MPG. Once these 9 speed trannys become commonplace and we know how to fix them, what goes wrong with them etc, Toyota will use it.
Old 02-09-16, 07:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Starting with the Toyota 3.0 liter V6 over 2 decades ago, moving to the 3.3 liter V6 and, then, to the current 3.5 liter V6, the various versions of the V6 engines that have been used in various Lexus and Toyota vehicles have been outstanding engines.

My first experience with these engines was the 3.0 liter version that I had almost two decades ago in a Toyota 4 Runner, and it immediately reminded me of the small block V8 engines that were a staple for GM vehicles over the course of several decades, and the 3.5 liter V6 in my ES reminds me of those small block V8 engines even more. It provides smooth, quiet, and sufficient power and good low end torque. Further, the 3.5 liter V6, like its predecessors, has proved to be as reliable as any engine on the market.

I also agree with hypervish's post in that any mpg advantage that the TLX has over the ES is more likely due to its transmission than it is to any engine efficiency advantage, and that Acura transmission comes with both pluses and minuses.

I've been driving my ES for a little under 3 years, and my highway mpg has consistently been in the 33-35 mpg range, and stop-and-go driving has consistently yielded 24-25 mpg (while, admittedly, my driving style is much more conservative than it was a few decades ago).

I would be surprised if there is any update to the 3.5 liter V6 at any time before the Generation 7 ES is introduced, and that won't be until at least a couple of years from now. In the mean time, the current engine will continue to be a superb power plant.
Old 02-09-16, 07:44 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by AircraftX
I think Toyota/Lexus only does what has been proven in reliability and let the other technologies "have some time" before adopting them. .

For example, I don't like these 8 or 9 speed transmissions either -seem way too complex and just wear out more with more shifting. But I know my next car (probably in 8-10 years if this ES lasts!) will have one of these 9 speed transmission. The mileage requirements are increasing and automakers will have to use these transmissions for better MPG. Once these 9 speed trannys become commonplace and we know how to fix them, what goes wrong with them etc, Toyota will use it.
I would have to agree. I did post something about that before in another thread about proven technology. The 8 speed so far in the ISF has been seemingly holding up well. But hate if something were to break how much would it cost. Also you are right. Stay away from the manual shift mode in your car. Just unneeded stress on it.
Old 02-09-16, 08:01 AM
sharkbite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.5L refresh that makes sense is the addition of direct injection. Toyota added DI to the 2016 RX 3.5L and bumped up the horsepower in both the gas and hybrid.
Old 02-09-16, 08:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sure Toyota can bump up the HP and torque with DI like the RX in the ES.
However,then it would be near or at the GS 3.5L HP number.So the GS would need more HP which isn't a bad thing.The GS needs more ponies,anyway..
Old 02-09-16, 10:58 AM
MasterQeef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Starting with the Toyota 3.0 liter V6 over 2 decades ago, moving to the 3.3 liter V6 and, then, to the current 3.5 liter V6, the various versions of the V6 engines that have been used in various Lexus and Toyota vehicles have been outstanding engines.

My first experience with these engines was the 3.0 liter version that I had almost two decades ago in a Toyota 4 Runner, and it immediately reminded me of the small block V8 engines that were a staple for GM vehicles over the course of several decades, and the 3.5 liter V6 in my ES reminds me of those small block V8 engines even more. It provides smooth, quiet, and sufficient power and good low end torque. Further, the 3.5 liter V6, like its predecessors, has proved to be as reliable as any engine on the market.

I also agree with hypervish's post in that any mpg advantage that the TLX has over the ES is more likely due to its transmission than it is to any engine efficiency advantage, and that Acura transmission comes with both pluses and minuses.

I've been driving my ES for a little under 3 years, and my highway mpg has consistently been in the 33-35 mpg range, and stop-and-go driving has consistently yielded 24-25 mpg (while, admittedly, my driving style is much more conservative than it was a few decades ago).

I would be surprised if there is any update to the 3.5 liter V6 at any time before the Generation 7 ES is introduced, and that won't be until at least a couple of years from now. In the mean time, the current engine will continue to be a superb power plant.

Thank you for your comment. If you are getting 24/25 in town that is very impressive.

I am interested if people are getting that in general.

HERE IS ANOTHER QUESTION.

If the Lexus ES 350 is such an amazing car is it worth buying the $3,000 extended warranty? I would personally say no it is not, because if it is as great as it claims I should never have to worry about getting something fixed under the first 60,000 miles....especially something that would cost me more than the warranty.

Thoughts.
Old 02-09-16, 11:33 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Thank you for your comment. If you are getting 24/25 in town that is very impressive.

If the Lexus ES 350 is such an amazing car is it worth buying the $3,000 extended warranty? I would personally say no it is not, because if it is as great as it claims I should never have to worry about getting something fixed under the first 60,000 miles....especially something that would cost me more than the warranty.

Thoughts.
As I said in my other post, my driving style has become much more conservative than it was even 10 or 15 years ago. I suspect that the majority of ES350 owners are seeing a couple of mpg lower than I am, and some with an aggressive driving style are even lower. Still, my experience does, I think, show what kind of fuel economy the ES350 is capable of.

As far as the extended warranty is concerned, extended warranties are among the biggest profit generators that automobile sales personnel have available to them. If the sales person or sales manager can convince you to buy an extended warranty, he/she can sell you the car for below invoice and still turn the deal into a high profit sale. If car buyers had any idea at all of how much the markup is on extended warranties, I am confident that very few extended warranties would ever be sold for Lexus vehicles or for the vehicles from any manufacturer. Further, when you consider what is covered by the basic warranty and the additional drive train warranty, the amount of additional "protection" that you are getting from an extended warranty is really quite minimal.
Old 02-09-16, 11:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thoughts.
I've bought two discounted Lexus Platinum warranties from Toby Rivers.No sales tax too if you're not in LA.
Call or email for a quote on years/mileage pkg warranties.

Toby Rivers
Lexus of Shreveport
1-800-335-3987
tobytoyota@aol.com
Old 02-09-16, 11:40 AM
MasterQeef
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
As I said in my other post, my driving style has become much more conservative than it was even 10 or 15 years ago. I suspect that the majority of ES350 owners are seeing a couple of mpg lower than I am, and some with an aggressive driving style are even lower. Still, my experience does, I think, show what kind of fuel economy the ES350 is capable of.

As far as the extended warranty is concerned, extended warranties are among the biggest profit generators that automobile sales personnel have available to them. If the sales person or sales manager can convince you to buy an extended warranty, he/she can sell you the car for below invoice and still turn the deal into a high profit sale. If car buyers had any idea at all of how much the markup is on extended warranties, I am confident that very few extended warranties would ever be sold for Lexus vehicles or for the vehicles from any manufacturer. Further, when you consider what is covered by the basic warranty and the additional drive train warranty, the amount of additional "protection" that you are getting from an extended warranty is really quite minimal.
Well said.
Old 02-09-16, 11:44 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Thoughts.
Here is a good place to start regarding fuel mileage actual owners are getting.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/es350

Quick Reply: Is Lexus/Toyota refreshing the 3.5L V6 for 2017?