ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Continuous or phantom battery drains on our cars?

Old 01-25-16, 02:51 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Continuous or phantom battery drains on our cars?

My ES sits outside at various times in very cold weather. I tried searching, but had a question on what kinds of things constantly drain the battery even with the car just sitting there with no interior lights on.

Modern cars these days seem to have lots of electronic gadgets. Even opening the door with the key in your pocket starts up the screen that displays the mileage.

I did notice that after several hours or in the middle of the night, the Lexus ES has a fuel evaporation leakage check that makes a "buzzing sound" for several minutes. That is normal, but of course uses some battery power.

Any other issues or continuous battery drains we have on our cars?
Old 01-25-16, 04:45 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by AircraftX
My ES sits outside at various times in very cold weather. I tried searching, but had a question on what kinds of things constantly drain the battery even with the car just sitting there with no interior lights on.

Modern cars these days seem to have lots of electronic gadgets. Even opening the door with the key in your pocket starts up the screen that displays the mileage.

I did notice that after several hours or in the middle of the night, the Lexus ES has a fuel evaporation leakage check that makes a "buzzing sound" for several minutes. That is normal, but of course uses some battery power.

Any other issues or continuous battery drains we have on our cars?
I would not worry about it unless you are storing the car for an extended period of time. If you do, use one of the battery tenders available. My wife's 2015 ES350 sits for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and has not had an issue. Her 2006 GS300 would also sit for 2 to 3 weeks and no issues, the battery lasted for 9 years before we replaced it.
Old 01-26-16, 03:06 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery has completely drained twice

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ain-issue.html

Old 01-26-16, 05:06 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
I would not worry about it unless you are storing the car for an extended period of time. If you do, use one of the battery tenders available. My wife's 2015 ES350 sits for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and has not had an issue.
I think she's in the minority. From what I've read in the other threads, most, including mine, can't make it much past a week. And, this is in the garage. I've learned to go the battery tender route, as you mentioned. All is well, now.
Old 01-26-16, 06:24 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I think she's in the minority. From what I've read in the other threads, most, including mine, can't make it much past a week. And, this is in the garage. I've learned to go the battery tender route, as you mentioned. All is well, now.
Our sits several weeks at a time, and the garage is very cold in winter. Never an issue.
Old 01-26-16, 06:35 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

The longest my car has gone is 5 weeks - outside - and started immediately. Not even sluggish...
Old 01-26-16, 06:53 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Our sits several weeks at a time, and the garage is very cold in winter. Never an issue.

Originally Posted by bc6152
The longest my car has gone is 5 weeks - outside - and started immediately. Not even sluggish...
You people annoy me!!! j/k

Maybe I should have it looked into?
Old 01-26-16, 07:02 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
You people annoy me!!! j/k

Maybe I should have it looked into?
have you thought about the seat extender drain prob? mine has also sat for almost a month(only once) in winter, and started right up.
Old 01-26-16, 07:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

I don't know what the difference could be. Temperatures for sure, but why the disparity? Battery quality?
Old 01-26-16, 07:25 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mspearl95
have you thought about the seat extender drain prob? mine has also sat for almost a month(only once) in winter, and started right up.
Yeah, checked the seat extender right after it was a posted issue.

One thing is, I drove it a little over 13k miles the first year. Never sat more than a day and no issue, obviously. Now, after almost three years, I have 15.5k. My job moved to the city and I started taking the train. The issue first appeared after sitting about two weeks. Jumped it and drove around all day. Happened again about a week later. Saw the threads on here regarding the issue on the ES and GS and bought a tender. If I forget to plug in in, it may not start within a week. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'm planning on getting the yearly oil change in a few weeks. I'll bring it up with them when I go. I guess I have nothing to lose.
Old 01-26-16, 10:09 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Actually, just remembered. Car set for 3 weeks in cool temps while I was out of the country.

Started as always.

There is no way on earth a modern car should not start after sitting for a week. Something is wrong there.
Old 01-26-16, 10:39 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone know the specification of the stock battery? cold cranking amps and reserve capacity mainly?
Old 01-26-16, 10:40 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Both of my Lexus cars battery's will die if not started in a month.
Old 02-21-16, 03:31 PM
Ronegone1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just phased this issue yesterday when i got in my car to go out yesterday the car did not turn on. The relays began actin erratic and i thought it might be a dead battery. I needed to go out since i had a scheduled event so used a different car when i got back home about 4 hours later went to check what may be wrong with the car, the battery voltage with the car not turned on was at 6V VC (dead) gave the car a quick jump and started up. Let the battery charge for about 15 minutes or so which is not really much turned of the car and went to bed note this is about 3am in the morning. Through the research i read i thought this issue may be cause by the key being in close proximity of the car and constantly communicating with the the car's keyless system so i left the key before i went to bed more than 25 feet away from the car to see if it might affect my battery the following day when i try to start the car. Next morning about 11am i attempted to turn the car on, no problems what so ever note i barely charged the battery earlier that morning.
I think this issue may be caused if the keys are in close proximity of the car, try having the keys a bit farther and see if this may resolve your issue.
Old 02-23-16, 01:33 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Just an aside. I am sure that those who keep finding their batteries have discharged significantly recognize that conventional batteries have much short lifespans if they often undergo deep discharge/charge cycles. They are just not designed for this. I suggest that you consider batteries designed for deep discharge such as the Optima line. For the last 12 years I have been using the same Optima Yellow Top in my 99 Vette (with a Battery Tender.) It is a shame you have to do this (my 14 ES starts easily after 3 weeks of inactivity), but it is good insurance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Continuous or phantom battery drains on our cars?