ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Need some input

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 03:46 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need some input

Hello everyone, I want to get you're opinions on the new ES's as I am considering one to replace my GS by the way I will be 19 when I get the car. Before anyone comments on my age I work two jobs and will get a third during the summer I work hard and so I want to get a nice car.

My question is, will the ES be good I want luxury without having to give up sportiness, my other option is an IS350 but I feel that the IS is really rough and while I wouldn't mind I do prefer luxury over sport. Also that the lease for these two cars is roughly the same in my area.
Old 01-14-16, 11:05 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The ES is a big, quiet, comfy FWD cruiser. It also has more rear seat space than a short wheelbase LS or 7 series, it's that huge. It's a great car to drive long distances in without feeling knackered or stressed out at the end of your journey.

The ES doesn't handle as well as the RWD GS or IS but for me, it has decent handling when you're not pushing it. Push too hard and it just understeers, although there's not much body roll.
Old 01-14-16, 11:23 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

What year GS do you have?

As stated above, the ES is a big comfy FWD sedan, but it isn't sporty at all. It's great for carrying passengers in comfort though.

The GS350 would probably be exactly what you're looking for...sporty luxury. It has the sportiness of the IS350 (Especially the F-sport) and even more luxurious than the ES, but less practical because less space in the backseat. Idk what your budget is, but you might be able to get a good lease deal on remaining 2015 GS350 inventory; many dealers are practically giving them away since the 2016 refresh is already hitting lots.
Old 01-15-16, 08:00 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I have had both an ES and GS lately and the ES 350 is my preference but if you would like the GS better you can probably lease a 2015 GS for less than a new ES. Most noticeable difference to me was better seats in the GS F-Sport but not much else that we liked. And resale not so good but not an issue with a lease. At your age you might have a problem getting the sales person to take you seriously but get a good one and you should do well with a great deal.

Dave Mac
Old 01-15-16, 08:01 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

I have a 14 GS and my budget is 400 and below for monthly payments and I would love to get the GS but i cant afford them the only ones left are hovering around 450 right now. Which is why I'm going with the ES or IS.
Old 01-15-16, 08:03 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Further on an IS350. That too might be an option but I only drove one as a loaner and found it too small both for driver and passengers and not a good riding car. Main advantage seemed to be the car really irritated BMW 3-Series drivers for some reason.

Dave Mac
Old 01-17-16, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDemon
I have a 14 GS and my budget is 400 and below for monthly payments and I would love to get the GS but i cant afford them the only ones left are hovering around 450 right now. Which is why I'm going with the ES or IS.
Any particular reason you don't want to keep your 14 GS?

The question is do you want a ride biased car or a sporty car? When I got my first ES I was 22 and thats what I wanted, but I'm weird lol. The ES doesn't have a sporty bone in its body. Its a front heavy FWD car...think Avalon...think Buick.

If I had a 14 GS I wouldn't trade it on a 16 ES though.
Old 01-18-16, 07:32 AM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep the 14 GS! I got my ES as a gift right before I turned 18 and I'm disappointed I didn't get an entry level GS. I'm now 5 months away from turning 21 and I can't tell you how boring this car is to me as much as I love it. I can't do fun things in a FWD car, especially if it isn't manual. If you can't keep the GS go with the Smaller IS. I plan on upgrading to a RC in. Two years after my ES is paid off
Old 01-18-16, 11:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MrlexEd88
Keep the 14 GS! I got my ES as a gift right before I turned 18 and I'm disappointed I didn't get an entry level GS. I'm now 5 months away from turning 21 and I can't tell you how boring this car is to me as much as I love it. I can't do fun things in a FWD car, especially if it isn't manual. If you can't keep the GS go with the Smaller IS. I plan on upgrading to a RC in. Two years after my ES is paid off
Yeah, the ES is definitely not the car for an 18-21 year old. Did you have nay input on the ES as a gift?
Old 01-25-16, 07:30 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

I'll see what the financing terms are when my lease is over, but that was certainly not the response I was expecting.
Old 01-25-16, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'll see what the financing terms are when my lease is over, but that was certainly not the response I was expecting.
Why not? The ES is the entry level near luxury car based on the Camry & Avalon. Why would you think it would be sporty? That's why Lexus also has the IS.

Moving down in the range is tough. If they made the cheaper cars just as good or even close to the more expensive cars why would anybody buy the more expensive cars?
Old 01-25-16, 11:11 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

True it is tough, but the way I see it is 2-3 in a lower end car then after I'll be able to work and get an M6, AMG or GS-F.

On another note though my GS only has Nav otherwise it's basic with this considered do you guys feel that an es would be a downgrade in terms of luxury. I am willing to Sacrifice sportiness for luxury.
Old 01-25-16, 11:32 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I've had both but I went from an ES to a GS and the ES is definitely a downgrade. The GS has more soft materials and has a tank like feel compared to the ES.

The GS does everything better than the ES. I see no reason why someone would go from an ES to a GS unless you really need more room in the rear or you really need a FWD car.
Old 01-25-16, 11:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True it is tough, but the way I see it is 2-3 in a lower end car then after I'll be able to work and get an M6, AMG or GS-F.

On another note though my GS only has Nav otherwise it's basic with this considered do you guys feel that an es would be a downgrade in terms of luxury. I am willing to Sacrifice sportiness for luxury.
Absolutely. The GS is built to a higher standard, even base the interior is better, it's more refined, more substantial to drive. Quieter, rides better at speed. Definitely a downgrade.

Now, that said it doesn't mean you shouldn't downgrade, I downgraded to the ES in 2003 and I enjoyed my ES's (I had a 2003 and a 2010). But they're not the same level as the more expensive cars.

You may want to look at a Hyundai Genesis. It's similarly priced to the ES, but feels more substantial, almost a full class up. If I were buying a car in the mid 40s today I would have a hard time getting an ES over a Genesis.
Old 01-26-16, 07:29 AM
Ken7
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

But once you go AWD with the Genesis (necessary if you drive in snowy areas, but not necessary for the FWD ES) and once you equip it with all the safety features that you can get in a $46,000 stickered ES, you're at a 'not-so-slightly' higher cost.

Quick Reply: Need some input