ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Preordering my own ES

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 10:45 PM
trionfare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preordering my own ES

Hi all, I'm considering ordering my own ES 350 but had some questions for the group -

1. I was told by a dealer that the only way to get the panoramic roof was with the ultra luxury package, but on the Lexus website I can add it even if I choose the Premium package - which one is correct? Link to explore and customize here: http://www.lexus.com/models/ES

2. Are there any strategies to get a discount on a pre-ordered car? For example, The dealer above also said they would not do Costco pricing on a car that wasn't on there lot, but Costco seem to think they should. Perhaps there are internet based dealers or other ways to drum up some competition?

3. Outlined below is the configuration I was thinking of. The goal was for comfort but also to maximize resale value if I sell it in 8 years or so. Any tweaks you'd make based on features/packages you like in hindsight?

Interior: Black perforated leather with Espresso Bird's-Eye Maple trim

NAVIGATION PACKAGE

$1,530*

PREMIUM PACKAGE

$730*

HEATED AND VENTILATED FRONT SEATS

$640*

BI-LED HEADLAMPS

$515*

PANORAMA GLASS ROOF

$500*

HEATED WOOD-AND LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL

$450*

RAIN-SENSING WIPERS

$155*

17-INCH SPLIT-10-SPOKE ALLOY WHEELS*

$40*

Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee

$950

Standard Features
Old 01-06-16, 04:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

In the past, the only way to get the pano was with the UL. I noticed it as a stand alone option on their site a couple months ago, too. Not sure if it really is, though.
Old 01-06-16, 07:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

My daughter just bought a new Honda CRV. She went thru Costco and obtained the Costco price for the vehicle but it had to be brought in from an adjacent state. The charge was $300.00 for transportation. We told the dealer to cancel the sale and went elsewhere. I searched TRUECAR.com web site and the price was the same as Costco to the penny. So it seems that Costco is not the bargain one would think it is. I would use the TRUECAR number as my bargaining point. BTW, Costco pricing is for cars in inventory and on the lot.

Last edited by bc6152; 01-06-16 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 09:52 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why are you not buying the safety system?
Old 01-06-16, 10:31 AM
trionfare
Driver School Candidate

Nick, I'm coming from a bare bones Saab 9-3 2002, I have never drived using those features. Are there any you've found to be must haves?
Old 01-06-16, 10:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It is possible to get the panoramic roof as an option, I test drove a 2016 ES350 with it. MSRP was $46,963 and it did not have the Ultra Luxury package.
Old 01-06-16, 12:50 PM
Ken7
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My 2016 ES350 has the panoramic roof and I don't have the UL package. In fact I have about 3 of the options that are in the UL package on my car. It's just way the car came from the lot.
Old 01-06-16, 01:33 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trionfare
Nick, I'm coming from a bare bones Saab 9-3 2002, I have never drived using those features. Are there any you've found to be must haves?
It's only $500, I'd say all of them are must-haves for the price. It makes your driving more comfortable and makes you safer for almost no money. I'd say it's silly to skip it.
Old 01-06-16, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
It's only $500, I'd say all of them are must-haves for the price. It makes your driving more comfortable and makes you safer for almost no money. I'd say it's silly to skip it.
Plus there will also be resale benefits down the road. These features will be expected on 2015-2016 model year cars. $500 well spent.
Old 01-06-16, 04:52 PM
trionfare
Driver School Candidate

Good points LexBob2 and NickTee, I've added them.

Another thing that isn't clear to me is, is the leather on the Ultra Luxury the same as the Premium and Luxury packages. They are all described as perforated leather. Any thoughts on how important this is to enjoyment or resale value?

Ken, what has your experience been with the glass roof? I've read about the potential noise, but I can't imagine it is a fault found on all cars.
Old 01-06-16, 05:06 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by trionfare
Ken, what has your experience been with the glass roof? I've read about the potential noise, but I can't imagine it is a fault found on all cars.
I'm not Ken, but my 2013 with the pano roof is as quiet as day 1. No noise issues at all. If it's only a $500 option, I can't see why anyone wouldn't go for it!
Old 01-06-16, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The UL has the semi-aniline leather which is a big upgrade IMHO.
Old 01-06-16, 09:32 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I don't know if you have selected an exterior color yet but I would sure look closely at that black interior. It is much more work to take care of than the Parchment in our RX. I am admittedly very **** and I hate the black - and so does my wife who isn't nearly as bad as me. The problem with the black is that it shows every speck of dust, and every hand rub from getting in or out leaves a light mark. The black looks great when clean, it's just impossible to keep clean. Never again.

Anyway, if this sort of thing bothers you, I would sure consider your interior color choice carefully. Of course it is a matter of opinion and very subjective - and you will get just as many opposing opinions. It is simply the one single thing I truly wish I could change about our car. (And I'm not willing to trade and take the depreciation hit)

Just my .02 cents worth - and there is probably change left over
Old 01-06-16, 09:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Yeah black and parchment (I've had both) are difficult to keep clean in different ways. The black shows hand smudges and dirt in the carpets, the parchment shows carpet stains, dye transfer on the seats, etc.

Remember though that the Parchment for 2016 has dark brown carpets, so even the parchment would have some of the downsides of black.
Old 01-07-16, 11:34 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Special Orders were the norm at one time but no longer the case. I have special ordered my cars almost always and my last four Lexus have been special ordered. I get the price or discount or whatever first and dealer always says price will stay the same regardless of inventory car, pipeline car or special order. I understand wanting to sell what is in inventory but what could be more profitable then getting a small deposit, order a car and delivering it before even having to pay for it? My special orders have taken from 9 to 13 weeks to arrive. With some production being shifted to Kentucky that time frame may change since time from build to customer is almost a month from Japan.

Be aware though that even though the price is fixed the money factor, interest rates and incentives are whatever is in place at time of delivery. I time my delivery for December and all of this has always worked out well.

I special order and get exactly what I want and save a substantial amount in the process. My most recent deal did not include the 18" wheels that I did not want, heated steering wheel which is not needed in AZ, the safety package (a good deal at $500 if it fits your needs) and any of the high profit port installed options ($1,200)or dealer installed additions. You may have to stay on top of your order and decline the port installed options twice. What I did want was the power opening trunk which is becoming more common on inventory cars now.

I believe you will need to order the Luxury package to get leather, heated and cooled seats and wood trim that you want. It includes the Premium package items as well.

Sometimes you have to order something to get the order through - most often the power rear sunshade on a luxury package car and with my most recent special order I was only able to get a car built with 17" wheels by ordering the optional split spoke wheel at $40 which worked out okay.

If you are set on the pano roof and it is becoming a problem I would look closely at just getting a Ultra Luxury package car - better/nicer leather, pano roof and better resale. I would expect that 5-8 years down the roof a pano roof non-Ultra car will have the same value as the standard moon roof while there will still be a premium for an UL.

I have never gone through Costco but limiting the deal to inventory cars would not seem unreasonable. And always keep in mind that if the dealer will sell it to you through Costco for X Dollars they can sell it to you for the same price and probably make even more money.

Enjoy your new Lexus. I find my 2016 ES 350 to be a very nice car.

Quick Reply: Preordering my own ES