ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Do all ES 350's come with Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 12:16 PM
Ken7
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Do all ES 350's come with Remote Start

Had a friend not told me, I would have had no idea my 2016 ES350 had remote start via the key. My friend just picked up an identical 2016 ES350, equipped exactly as mine, and he can't get his to remote start via the key. In fact the tech guy told him they don't come that way.

Further confusing the situation is when I picked up the car, the remote start feature was not mentioned to me by the tech guy instructing me on the car.

So is it possible that some ES350s have this feature, although 'undocumented', and some don't? Bizarre.
Old 12-31-15, 12:38 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken7
Had a friend not told me, I would have had no idea my 2016 ES350 had remote start via the key. My friend just picked up an identical 2016 ES350, equipped exactly as mine, and he can't get his to remote start via the key. In fact the tech guy told him they don't come that way.

Further confusing the situation is when I picked up the car, the remote start feature was not mentioned to me by the tech guy instructing me on the car.

So is it possible that some ES350s have this feature, although 'undocumented', and some don't? Bizarre.
Their is an app that can start your car via the internet...perhaps using Inform? The delivery guy demo'd for me. I have not tried to set it up yet.

I asked about being in a location where the internet is not available...they do actually exist He explained how you can still process the command to open on the internet and somehow it "enables" your key???? I need to follow-up on that...does not seem to make sense.

But the app is just like my furnace...I can adjust the temp from anywhere...using internet app and the correct thermostat.

Maybe someone who has owned longer than we have can explain?? TomMartin
Old 12-31-15, 12:42 PM
Ken7
Driver

Yes Tom, I've got the app for remote start, but the 'undocumented' feature from the actual key is what I'm confused about. Mine works (hit lock twice and hold the lock button down a third time until the car starts) and my friend's, with the identical car, doesn't. Had it not been for a friend with the new RX who told me, I would never have even tried to start the car via the key.
Old 12-31-15, 12:53 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I can only speak for my 2015 300h, but there is no separate line item on our window sheet for remote start. I believe it is part of the Nav package, which includes an item in the description for "Lexus Enform Remote". We did have to call Lexus to have it activated and there is an annual fee (an add-on to SOS actually) but the first year was included. We plan to renew when our year is up but it doesn't sound like very many plan to keep it.

I should point out that mine only works via the Enform Remote App, and not the physical key. I think that may be the difference between the RES and the RES+. It is my understanding the RES is on the key and only works within range of the key. Where the RES+ is the mobile app that works anywhere the car and mobile phone are both within range of a cell tower. The extra annual fee is required to cover the wireless coverage for the car, plus the obvious profit margin for Lexus.

And Ken7: I will have to try that when I have access to the car tonight. I don't believe our car has any such feature but I just never tried that. Since the key has to be within range of the car, and given that the car will shut off when the door opens, I'm not sure where this would be of use to us. I suppose if the car sat out at night it might be helpful?

Last edited by TechNut; 12-31-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-31-15, 01:24 PM
Ken7
Driver

Doug, I think it is much quicker to respond than the start app within the Lexus Enform phone app, although range is obviously much less.

What really has me scratching my head is the undocumented nature of this. There's nothing on my window sticker (which does have Nav) to indicate this feature exists. As I mentioned, my friend with the identical window sticker, can't get his to start via the key.
Old 12-31-15, 01:58 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Well after reading your question Ken, I went onto the Lexus.com web page to look at the standard feature page on a 2016 ES. The only mention I could find was a few lines about the smart app which requires a subscription after year one. But it was standard. No mention otherwise regarding remote start by the key fob. However - there are numerous posts on here about the remote start with a key which became available in 2014 I believe. That is with the key only - for free - no subscription. It was my understanding that the remote came with all ES cars starting in 2014. Then after one year to use the smart app you had to pay. However I could be wrong about that and I'm sure another member will let us know if so.
Old 12-31-15, 02:14 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The key fob start is tied to the Enform Remote app. Your friend needs to have the Enform Remote app set up before the key fob start feature will work. This involves hitting the SOS button and speaking to a representative to get a confirmation code. The capability to remote start through the fob and app will expire when the 1-year trial ends.

This feature has been on MY2015+ Lexus ES with Nav, and never documented.
Old 12-31-15, 02:48 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Yup, the car is home and I just tried it and it works as described by Ken. I had no idea that I could start it from the key fob and we have had the car since February. Now I do have the app enabled, but I don't see how the two could be tied together. Surely the car does not have the time to check the national Enform database to verify the feature is enabled when starting from the fob?

Ken, you are also correct that it starts much faster with the fob than via the app. However, since you have to be so close, it doesn't give it much time to run before you have to open the door. My wife likes to turn the seat heaters and steering wheel heater on before leaving the car on those "below zero" days, then remote start it before leaving her office so it has a few minutes to warm before reaching it (correction: my wife says the steering wheel heater will NOT come on when the car is remotely restarted). The opposite is also true on those 100+ days (without the seat warmers). It is nice to know now that we have multiple options. Of course, this would likely work better on the ES 350 than the ES 300h on Eco mode... I doubt the hybrid will not run the full 10 minutes unless it is on normal or sport mode and we always leave ours on Eco mode. Seems a bit like I'm contradicting myself doesn't it.

Last edited by TechNut; 01-01-16 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Correct for steering wheel heater behavior
Old 12-31-15, 03:22 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Lexus seems to have gone the way of GM & such, with "simple" factory modules, for factory auto start.

You can get an autostarter for recent Lexus' for around 300$ plus install - it uses the stock FOB to turn it on. Limitation is the FOB however, since usually its 70ft. or so... aftermarket [usually] start at around 500ft+ distance...
Old 12-31-15, 03:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Looking to clarify if all 2013+ Lexus ES with Lexus Enform (std) can be remotely started using the Lexus Enform Remote application or whether they need to have the RES+ accessory installed first? I realize there is a $69 yearly fee.
Old 12-31-15, 05:46 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

OMG!!! My car has a remote start via the fob as well. It is 2014 300h CPO. I am still on my 1-year trial period for the SOS function (whatever it is called) - so will it go away once it ends?
Old 01-01-16, 07:58 AM
Ken7
Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
The key fob start is tied to the Enform Remote app. Your friend needs to have the Enform Remote app set up before the key fob start feature will work. This involves hitting the SOS button and speaking to a representative to get a confirmation code. The capability to remote start through the fob and app will expire when the 1-year trial ends.

This feature has been on MY2015+ Lexus ES with Nav, and never documented.
Yup, this makes sense. I'm actually not surprised by the members here who were totally unaware of this undocumented feature. Had my friend with his new RX not told me, I would never have bothered to check...nor would I have known how to check. Weird.
Old 01-01-16, 11:28 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken7
Yes Tom, I've got the app for remote start, but the 'undocumented' feature from the actual key is what I'm confused about. Mine works (hit lock twice and hold the lock button down a third time until the car starts) and my friend's, with the identical car, doesn't. Had it not been for a friend with the new RX who told me, I would never have even tried to start the car via the key.
I was not aware of this feature either, I just tried it on my 2015 ES350 and to my surprise, it worked, the car started!
Old 01-01-16, 05:26 PM
Cannoli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Looking to clarify if all 2013+ Lexus ES with Lexus Enform (std) can be remotely started using the Lexus Enform Remote application or whether they need to have the RES+ accessory installed first? I realize there is a $69 yearly fee.
After reading this question I downloaded the app. When I scanned in my VIN on my 2013 I got a message it's not supported.
Old 01-01-16, 05:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannoli
After reading this question I downloaded the app. When I scanned in my VIN on my 2013 I got a message it's not supported.
Thanks for trying it out. Interesting that it didn't work. I guess the RES+ accessory has to be installed even on the newer Lexus cars that come with Lexus enform.

Quick Reply: Do all ES 350's come with Remote Start