ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Do all ES 350's come with Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 05:48 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I think that some of the confusion results from the fact that remote start options have changed several times since the Generation 6 ES was introduced in 2013.

Originally, the only remote option was the RES option that allowed for remote starting only with the key fob. Then, the RES+ option became available and allowed for remote starting either with the fob or with a smart phone app, and it also requires a paid annual subscription. With the RES+, I'm not sure whether, without an active paid subscription, the vehicle can be started with key fob, but, with the current remote start option, without an active paid subscription, the car cannot be started with either the key fob or the smart phone app.
Old 01-02-16, 08:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

You're right Les there is a multitude of confusion. I was in the dealer's the other day and they're running a special on remote starts. For an ES 350 for $499.00 installed, No smartphone access included and NO Enform subscription needed. Starts with the smartkey.
Old 01-02-16, 08:40 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I think that some of the confusion results from the fact that remote start options have changed several times since the Generation 6 ES was introduced in 2013.

Originally, the only remote option was the RES option that allowed for remote starting only with the key fob. Then, the RES+ option became available and allowed for remote starting either with the fob or with a smart phone app, and it also requires a paid annual subscription. With the RES+, I'm not sure whether, without an active paid subscription, the vehicle can be started with key fob, but, with the current remote start option, without an active paid subscription, the car cannot be started with either the key fob or the smart phone app.
And for MY2015+ they are using a different system, Enform Remote. The Enform Remote app has more features like locating your car, setting driving profiles, and checking car status. Both the app and fob starter is connected with the Safety Connect subscription.
Old 01-02-16, 09:24 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannoli
After reading this question I downloaded the app. When I scanned in my VIN on my 2013 I got a message it's not supported.
I still had to call and have them activate the remote start. Is it possible it didn't show up because your VIN just wasn't registered in the Enform database? If it were me, I might still call Lexus before throwing in the towel.

Perhaps the question is when did they start offering RES+. Anybody know the answer to that?

Somebody has also posted a Lexus site where you can enter you VIN and it will report the equipment. I'm sure it could be found with a search or perhaps someone with knowledge of that site would repost the address. That might help clarify things for you?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the post(s) above which actually explained a couple of things for me. Question for dchar or lesz though, do you know for a fact that the fob remote requires the subscription? Obviously the Enform version does, but it starts immediately with the fob so it doesn't seem like it would have time to poll the Enform system to see if a subscription is active. All part of my debate to decide whether I want to keep the subscription once the complimentary subscription expires next month.

Last edited by TechNut; 01-02-16 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-02-16, 09:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I was at the dealer today driving the 2016 ES350 and the sales lady said that you don't need to have the RES+ installed, it is included within Lexus Enform.
Old 01-02-16, 09:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I still had to call and have them activate the remote start. Is it possible it didn't show up because your VIN just wasn't registered in the Enform database? If it were me, I might still call Lexus before throwing in the towel.

Perhaps the question is when did they start offering RES+. Anybody know the answer to that?

Somebody has also posted a Lexus site where you can enter you VIN and it will report the equipment. I'm sure it could be found with a search or perhaps someone with knowledge of that site would repost the address. That might help clarify things for you?
The 2013 ES came with no version of remote start standard. The RES, which allows for remote starting only with the key fob was a $500 option. The RES+ was, I believe, available only for the 2014 model year. It allows for remote starting with either the fob or with the smart phone app. To be able to use the smart phone app, you need to have a paid subscription. As I said earlier, I'm not sure whether, without the paid subscription, you can still use the RES+ with the key fob to start the vehicle.

For the 2015 and 2016 models, there is the Enform Remote Start. That system requires a paid subscription to remotely start the vehicle with either the key fob or the phone app. I believe that all 2016 ES vehicles have the Enform Remote Start system, but I'm not sure whether it was standard or an extra cost option for the 2015 model year.

Again, what remote start capabilities an ES has, whether they were standard or an option, and whether a paid subscription is needed to use them varies depending on the model year of the ES. And that is the reason why different people are saying different things about the remote systems in their cars.
Old 01-02-16, 10:31 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Thanks lesz. A bit confusing since the documentation isn't clear and they keep tinkering with the option. I had pretty much decided to keep it anyway, but it also requires SOS be maintained as this is an add-on to SOS. Lexus quoted me $209 annually for the pair. My wife uses it on very cold and very hot days and seems to like the option. Personally, I think it's cool but without my wife's support I probably would let the subscription lapse.

My problem is that I sometimes forget I have it. Last night when we went out to our car at 5 degrees it would have been really nice...
Old 01-02-16, 11:36 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

The res+ system started with the 2014 model year. According to Lexus it cannot be installed in a 2013. However, there are members on this forum that have installed the res+ system on their 2013. I tried to buy it previously and Lexus wouldn't do it on my 2013. A Lexus remote start - no smartphone access - is available to be installed in a 2013 ES car w/o any subscription @ $500.00. It is the RES factory remote start. Works with the factory smart key.

No Enform, Safety Connect, paid subscriptions, or anything else is needed.

Last edited by bc6152; 01-02-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-03-16, 05:11 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

For those contemplating renewing the subscription that lets you and Lexus locate the car in case it is stolen you might get a discount on your auto insurance for having it active, that may offset some of the annual subscription cost. Similar to having LoJack installed. Ask your insurance agent.
Old 01-16-16, 06:45 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2014 ES300h. So if I understand this thread correctly, all I have to do is renew the Lexus SOS option to have remote start from my key fob. Is this correct?
Old 01-16-16, 07:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mhobizal
I have a 2014 ES300h. So if I understand this thread correctly, all I have to do is renew the Lexus SOS option to have remote start from my key fob. Is this correct?
No, I don't believe that that is correct. For the 2014 ES model year, the remote start option was RES+, which enabled remote starting from both the key fob and the smart phone app. If you have that option (again, with a 2014 ES), you should be able to remote start with the key fob regardless of whether you are paying for the subscription, but the car will start with the smart phone app only if you have a paid subscription. The RES+ was about a $700 or $800 option, and, if you don't have that option, you can't start the car with the key fob.

Again, remote start options have changed several times with the Generation 6 ES. What I explained above for the 2014 ES is different than what would apply to the 2013 ES with RES or with current ES vehicles with Enform Remote start.
Old 01-16-16, 08:08 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Mhobizal: To expound on Les' post, if your car (2014) had the RES+ option on it when you bought the car, you do not need the subscription after one year to start your car with the key. If you wish to use the smartphone procedure you must subscribe after one year. If you do not want to pay the subscription costs just use the key. But only if you have the RES+ on your car.

I think that Lexus did a really poor job with the remote start options explanation and the sales/service people don't know much either.

Good post Les...
Old 01-16-16, 08:25 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Our window sticker has "Lexus Enform Remote" as a bullet in the navigation option. That is the version that is actually an "add on" cost, on top of the SOS option. I don't remember how much it was separately but the total for the two options was quoted as either $209 or $219. Now with that said, that was the option on my 2015 MY car. It isn't clear to me which version(s) was available for the 2014 model year car but if I understand correctly, this Enform version is only on the 2015 models and newer.
Old 01-16-16, 08:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Our window sticker has "Lexus Enform Remote" as a bullet in the navigation option. That is the version that is actually an "add on" cost, on top of the SOS option. I don't remember how much it was separately but the total for the two options was quoted as either $209 or $219. Now with that said, that was the option on my 2015 MY car. It isn't clear to me which version(s) was available for the 2014 model year car but if I understand correctly, this Enform version is only on the 2015 models and newer.
That is correct.
Old 01-17-16, 08:16 PM
siwo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, my 2015 ES 350 came with the remote start from the fob. I am in Canada so the Enform app does not apply for me. The remote start was included in the base model and was not mentioned as if it was an option or extra. Great for those deep freeze Canadian weathers...

Quick Reply: Do all ES 350's come with Remote Start