ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

EZ-Pass transponder mounting and rain-sensing wipers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 08:29 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts
Default EZ-Pass transponder mounting and rain-sensing wipers.

Ever since I have mounted my EZ-Pass transponder my rain-sensing wipers do not work properly. The transponder is attached to the windshield with two double-sticky peices of velcro behind the rearview mirror. Basically the wipers now only work on the lowest setting. On medium and high they constantly run even with clean dry windshield.

Is there a known good way to mount the transponder so it doesn't affect the rain sensor?

Old 12-30-15, 08:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 616 Likes on 464 Posts

I would move it to the right and position it vertically.
Old 12-30-15, 08:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I always put it next to the rain sensor to the right side, up against the headliner. Never had any problems.
Old 12-30-15, 08:57 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with Mike728 -- move it to the right and lower. I've had no problems.

Instead of Velco, you can go on eBay and buy an ezPass holder that uses suction cups.
Old 12-30-15, 09:10 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

After some online research I am no longer convinced that my rain-sensing wiper problem is related to the transponder. I will try to remove it and see if there are any changes.
Old 12-30-15, 11:40 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

OK, my problem with wipers is not transponder related. The wipers seem to work fine now with the transponder still attached.
Old 12-31-15, 07:49 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Ever since I have mounted my EZ-Pass transponder my rain-sensing wipers do not work properly. Basically the wipers now only work on the lowest setting. On medium and high they constantly run even with clean dry windshield.

I believe this is normal at least with my '14 ES350. The rain-sensing control only works with the switch in the first position (low setting). Moving the switch to any of the next settings makes the wipers run constantly.
The following users liked this post:
st1800 (08-17-19)
Old 12-31-15, 11:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
I believe this is normal at least with my '14 ES350. The rain-sensing control only works with the switch in the first position (low setting). Moving the switch to any of the next settings makes the wipers run constantly.
Not on my '13. The settings work as you would expect. Lowest setting is the least sensitive, and high the most. Mine have never come on when dry.
Old 08-17-19, 03:11 PM
cvassallo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate

Mount it on your license plate as everyone should.

Last edited by cvassallo; 08-17-19 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 08-18-19, 08:31 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cvassallo
Mount it on your license plate as everyone should.
??? What in the world made you respond to this thread almost 4 years later with an asinine comment like that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Albo:
mrsteve7 (08-18-19), NdYAG (08-18-19)
Old 08-18-19, 09:00 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I always put it next to the rain sensor to the right side, up against the headliner. Never had any problems.
That's exactly how I've mounted mine and have had zero issues.
Old 08-18-19, 11:35 AM
cvassallo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asinine?

The time between the said post and my response is irrelevant to the discussion. Which part of my comment was asinine? It appears the only asinine comments on this thread are any related to having transponders anywhere on a vehicle other than on the license plate. Have a great day Albino Albo
Originally Posted by Albo
??? What in the world made you respond to this thread almost 4 years later with an asinine comment like that.
Old 08-18-19, 12:29 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

... Which part of my comment was asinine? It appears the only asinine comments on this thread are any related to having transponders anywhere on a vehicle other than on the license plate. ...
For one, they're not waterproof. Secondly, it would be stolen in 5 minutes.
Old 08-18-19, 10:38 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Which part of my comment was asinine?
The original discussion relates to internal transponder that should be mounted on the windshield. Yes, some states now also offer external transponders (to be mounted on the license plate, was not even available 4 years ago) but it should be a separate topic.
Old 08-18-19, 11:16 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile

The time between the said post and my response is irrelevant to the discussion. Which part of my comment was asinine? It appears the only asinine comments on this thread are any related to having transponders anywhere on a vehicle other than on the license plate. Have a great day Albino Albo
1. Timing of a comment in regards to when a thread was started does have bearing on the conversation in some cases. This happens to be on of those cases.
2. It is asinine for you to say something like mounting it to a license plate "as everyone should". First off clearly we are talking about an in the vehicle transponder, as not everyone wants one that attaches to your license plate. There are options for a reason. Some states do not have front license plates for it to attach to. Also found this https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/bumpinstruc.pdf . Sounds to me like everyone "should" use the windshield mounted EZ pass transponders and that this license plate mounted one is only an alternative.
3. Thank you, I had a wonderful day, as I am just now getting back home to read this, dare I say, asinine follow up comment from you.
4. By the way, I see this is your first posts. Welcome to Club Lexus forums. Have a great day caballo.

Quick Reply: EZ-Pass transponder mounting and rain-sensing wipers.