ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES 300h Navi...what update source and Cost???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 07:06 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2016 ES 300h Navi...what update source and Cost???

Curious as I forgot to ask...what is Navi update process, how often are updates published and what cost?? Don't imagine it is an on-line download process? Thanks...TomMartin
Old 12-27-15, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Unfortunately no...no online download process.

You have to buy an SD card for these navi units, and then the dealer has to initialize it and install it. I don't believe that you can install it yourself when you get the card. The SD card is about $170 and then an hour or so of the dealer's time, call it $290 or so to update.
Old 12-28-15, 05:00 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Unfortunately no...no online download process.

You have to buy an SD card for these navi units, and then the dealer has to initialize it and install it. I don't believe that you can install it yourself when you get the card. The SD card is about $170 and then an hour or so of the dealer's time, call it $290 or so to update.
Thanks...I should check the "version" installed and shame them into next update if it is an old version. However, negotiations are done now...may not get any "extras".

It was interesting watching my wife and I as the "process" of buying was finishing. I KNEW we had tipped over and made our intentions known. I was OK with where we were at but was trying for a bit more but also knew these guys are pretty good when it comes to sensing when you have bit hard and they can just reel you in I appreciated that they gave an additional $300 MSRP reduction, lowered the total security deposit about $1K and reduced the MF/interest rate about .1%.

BTW...I have to ask the sale guy how the MSDs were computer as I cannot calculate how they arrived at the rate (I could calculate on all our other proposals). He did say they used the 10K mileage MF as part of the equation. Not sure but OK with the about 1% effective rate...which I have "verified" with my money/rate calculator...helps to be a CPA.

Have to pick up this afternoon during what looks to be a very heavy snow day. Should be able to get it home and in the garage,,,only a few miles.

TomMartin
Old 12-28-15, 05:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It'll have the latest Nav. The Nav updates come out in October. Your car was likely built after that.

I think the one area where you may have gotten hosed a little is the MF. What you describe about them reducing the MF and reducing the amount of the MSD shouldn't be possible if they were giving you the base rate from Lexus. It is what it is. Dealers commonly mark it up to take profit back from giving bigger deals off of MSRP, when you have multiple MSDs and things it's easy to do that.

"Giving you the 10k money factor" is impossible, unless they had already padded the MF with profit.
Old 12-28-15, 06:06 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

It'll have the latest Nav. The Nav updates come out in October. Your car was likely built after that.

I think the one area where you may have gotten hosed a little is the MF. What you describe about them reducing the MF and reducing the amount of the MSD shouldn't be possible if they were giving you the base rate from Lexus. It is what it is. Dealers commonly mark it up to take profit back from giving bigger deals off of MSRP, when you have multiple MSDs and things it's easy to do that.

"Giving you the 10k money factor" is impossible, unless they had already padded the MF with profit.
As I said, I am going to ask sales rep how MF and Security Deposit was calculated. The 15K '16ES MF on the dealer publish Lexus Financial Services sheet good until 01/04/2016 has a 15K MF on the '16ESh of .00140. My Total Security Deposits were $3,600 which reduced the MF to .00044 or 1.056% annual rate.

As I said, I am OK with 1% effective annual rate and the $3,600 MSDs.

BTW, the MF on the '15 GS F Sport I was looking at was .00005 ($ 2,700 MSD) or .12% annual rate...essentially a no interest 36 month loan. That plus about $10K Adjusted Cap Reduction. Had not finished negotiation as I moved to ES 300h. Pretty good deal but 300h should serve our needs well. As of today I wish I was taking delivery of the AWD...hope the ES is as good in snow as our 2008 Accord EXL has been.

TomMartin

Last edited by TomMartin; 12-28-15 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That .00123 MF is WAY high for the GS. The LFS retail rate for December on the 2015 GS F Sport is .0006 with NO security deposit. Thats where they got you.

I'm a little confused, are the rates at the top of your post for the one you got? You listed GS when its an ES.
Old 12-28-15, 06:40 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

That .00123 MF is WAY high for the GS. The LFS retail rate for December on the 2015 GS F Sport is .0006 with NO security deposit. Thats where they got you.

I'm a little confused, are the rates at the top of your post for the one you got? You listed GS when its an ES.
Do you have a link to the LFS retail rate chart/source? Would be helpful.

I will edit my post...my bad...TomMartin

Last edited by TomMartin; 12-28-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 06:44 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Thanks...I should check the "version" installed and shame them into next update if it is an old version. However, negotiations are done now...may not get any "extras".

It was interesting watching my wife and I as the "process" of buying was finishing. I KNEW we had tipped over and made our intentions known. I was OK with where we were at but was trying for a bit more but also knew these guys are pretty good when it comes to sensing when you have bit hard and they can just reel you in I appreciated that they gave an additional $300 MSRP reduction, lowered the total security deposit about $1K and reduced the MF/interest rate about .1%.

BTW...I have to ask the sale guy how the MSDs were computer as I cannot calculate how they arrived at the rate (I could calculate on all our other proposals). He did say they used the 10K mileage MF as part of the equation. Not sure but OK with the about 1% effective rate...which I have "verified" with my money/rate calculator...helps to be a CPA.

Have to pick up this afternoon during what looks to be a very heavy snow day. Should be able to get it home and in the garage,,,only a few miles.

TomMartin
You can look at the Lexus website and see the date and number of the newest nav version. Just in case your car was produced earlier and was on the lot for a while it wouldn't hurt to confirm what version ins installed. If it is the previous one, you can try to get them to update it on your car before delivery or have it done soon after.
Old 12-28-15, 07:45 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You can look at the Lexus website and see the date and number of the newest nav version. Just in case your car was produced earlier and was on the lot for a while it wouldn't hurt to confirm what version ins installed. If it is the previous one, you can try to get them to update it on your car before delivery or have it done soon after.
I'd ask the service manager to open it up on the car before signing on the dotted line. This happened to me when Toyota delayed the installation of a new update until after the new year instead of October when it was normally performed. I got a commitment for a free update as the version on my new car was already a year old...
Old 12-28-15, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Do you have a link to the LFS retail rate chart/source? Would be helpful.

I will edit my post...my bad...TomMartin
There's no direct online source. Edmunds has a good lease rate forum actually, if you google "Lexus Es300h lease rates edmunds" you'll find it.

I will post a link once I get to a computer.
Old 12-28-15, 08:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Also note that, if you use the Lexus Enform app to search for and set navigation destination, doing so accesses the most recent and most complete destination and mapping data via the internet instead of using the data base version on-board the vehicle.

Since the ability to do so became available about 6 months ago, I haven't used the on-board data base to search for or set destinations a single time. Not only is the Enform database the most current, but it also seems to be more complete and can find locations that the on-board system can't find. Further, the Enform app works superbly with voice commands. Not only does it allow you to use voice commands in a simpler manner to find and enter destinations while the vehicle is moving, but it also seems to be much better at recognizing what you are saying.

With access to the Enform app's ability to find and set destinations, I no longer feel hindered in any way if I don't have the most recent version of the map data installed on the car's navigation system.
Old 12-28-15, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The app is pretty good, I agree.
Old 12-28-15, 10:07 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Also note that, if you use the Lexus Enform app to search for and set navigation destination, doing so accesses the most recent and most complete destination and mapping data via the internet instead of using the data base version on-board the vehicle.

Since the ability to do so became available about 6 months ago, I haven't used the on-board data base to search for or set destinations a single time. Not only is the Enform database the most current, but it also seems to be more complete and can find locations that the on-board system can't find. Further, the Enform app works superbly with voice commands. Not only does it allow you to use voice commands in a simpler manner to find and enter destinations while the vehicle is moving, but it also seems to be much better at recognizing what you are saying.

With access to the Enform app's ability to find and set destinations, I no longer feel hindered in any way if I don't have the most recent version of the map data installed on the car's navigation system.
This is good info Les. Thanks...
Old 12-28-15, 05:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
This is good info Les. Thanks...
Finding and setting destinations using the Enform app is, to me, far superior to doing so using the clunky interface and the data base built into the navigation system that I can't imagine ever wanting to use the navigation system by itself to find and set destinations again.

Actually, I probably should be careful about praising the Enform app because, if Lexus sees such praise, they will probably start charging an annual fee to use the app.
Old 12-31-15, 08:16 AM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Money Factor does not change with mileage, the RESidual changes with mileage. Residual is a percentage of MSRP. MSDs can be used to reduce the MF below the base rate, that is the whole point of making MSDs. You are getting the msd s back at the end so no biggy, but if they didnt reduce the MF below the base rate, then they are holding your money for nothing.
Not really worth worrying about now since you already pulled the trigger using the dealers numbers. Enjoy the car, looks great in Red.

I also use the app its very good. Also use the personal assistant since it is included, also very good tho once they set the destination on a highway!

Last edited by Jets; 12-31-15 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 ES 300h Navi...what update source and Cost???