ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES 300h Delivery...Anything I Should Add Prior to Delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 06:46 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2016 ES 300h Delivery...Anything I Should Add Prior to Delivery?

Signed up Saturday for new '16 ES 300h. Planned "closing" and delivery is Monday.

Curious if there is anything logical that I should have "added" prior to delivery?

I know I will need to fend off the finance guy and the list of options he will be "offering". Do any of his offerings need consideration...or is NO just the answer?

I usually have the wheel well "mud guards" installed to keep tire splash off the side of the car...sales rep said very few do that...like it is "uncool"??? Your thoughts...I tend to keep my cars a long time...maybe 8-10 years.

Just curious if there are any routine, positive "add-ons" I should consider...or any finance guy offerings that actually make sense.

BTW...I believe extended warranty "opportunity" is available right up until the time your original warranty expires? Is it the same deal whenever you buy it??? While I do not plan on buying...just curious if that option is open at same price as if you bought when auto is new?? I so know that you can shop other dealers that discount IF you want to buy.

It is winter here in MN...are the car washes going to hurt the paint much before spring comes??

ANY thoughts or ideas I should be considering would be appreciated...I WILL try to post pictures once I get the car Thanks...TomMartin
Old 12-27-15, 07:31 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I think "no" is the proper answer to ALL offerings. And it makes the closing process go faster.

Dave Mac
Old 12-27-15, 07:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,242 Likes on 872 Posts

Living in a cold weather state with rotten weather too, I installed the mud guards shortly after buying my car. They look great on the car (IMO) and do protect the bottom of the doors from road salt and gravel. It is a matter of choice as some on the forum dislike the look. They are functional. As far as a commercial car wash, I guess it depends upon where you go and what (safe) equipment they use. I don't do car washes, preferring to wash the car myself even in winter. I don't let the dealer wash my car when in for service either. My paint is perfect... Another thing I always do when taking delivery of a new car is prohibit the dealer from attaching his/her name onto the car. A license frame is OK as you can change that.

Good Luck with the new car and many miles of pleasurable driving.

Last edited by bc6152; 12-27-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-27-15, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Don't buy anything additionally from the dealer. The warranty you can purchase all the way up to the expiration of your new car warranty. No need to buy that now, especially with it being a lease. Wait to see if you buy out the lease.

One thing I would do for sure is a clear bra. The paint on these cars is very prone to chipping, and a good quality clear bra will basically solve the issue. I wouldn't have the dealer do this, I would do some research and find a good independent person and take it there soon after purchase (like, the next day if possible) and have it done.

I would look for installers who use Xpel Ultimate, or SunTek films. My LS has SunTek, its self healing and its incredible. I did the full hood and fenders on the LS which wasn't cheap, $1,400...but if you wanted to save some money you can do just the leading 24 inches or so of the hood and fenders, and of course the full bumper, grille, headlights, backs of the mirrors, etc. I had that on my GS and there is a visible line on the hood but it wasn't that big a deal.

I chose the SunTek over the Xpel (my installer uses both) because he said the SunTek was a little easier to install, and it was glossier. You would never know anything is on the car.

I will never drive another car, at least another Lexus, without that.
Old 12-27-15, 09:23 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Don't buy anything additionally from the dealer. The warranty you can purchase all the way up to the expiration of your new car warranty. No need to buy that now, especially with it being a lease. Wait to see if you buy out the lease.

One thing I would do for sure is a clear bra. The paint on these cars is very prone to chipping, and a good quality clear bra will basically solve the issue. I wouldn't have the dealer do this, I would do some research and find a good independent person and take it there soon after purchase (like, the next day if possible) and have it done.

I would look for installers who use Xpel Ultimate, or SunTek films. My LS has SunTek, its self healing and its incredible. I did the full hood and fenders on the LS which wasn't cheap, $1,400...but if you wanted to save some money you can do just the leading 24 inches or so of the hood and fenders, and of course the full bumper, grille, headlights, backs of the mirrors, etc. I had that on my GS and there is a visible line on the hood but it wasn't that big a deal.

I chose the SunTek over the Xpel (my installer uses both) because he said the SunTek was a little easier to install, and it was glossier. You would never know anything is on the car.

I will never drive another car, at least another Lexus, without that.
Thanks...it has the 3M option already installed...haven't seen it yet as it is in the dealer's St Paul location....(vs Mpls). TomMartin
Old 12-27-15, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats a shame. The 3M product is thicker, not as smooth, and I'm sure the quality of the install isn't as good. I've had Lexus loaners with the port installed product and the quality is very poor.

If it were my car, I would still have that taken off and replaced with a better quality product.
Old 12-27-15, 11:26 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Signed up Saturday for new '16 ES 300h. Planned "closing" and delivery is Monday.

Curious if there is anything logical that I should have "added" prior to delivery?

I know I will need to fend off the finance guy and the list of options he will be "offering". Do any of his offerings need consideration...or is NO just the answer?

I usually have the wheel well "mud guards" installed to keep tire splash off the side of the car...sales rep said very few do that...like it is "uncool"??? Your thoughts...I tend to keep my cars a long time...maybe 8-10 years.

Just curious if there are any routine, positive "add-ons" I should consider...or any finance guy offerings that actually make sense.

BTW...I believe extended warranty "opportunity" is available right up until the time your original warranty expires? Is it the same deal whenever you buy it??? While I do not plan on buying...just curious if that option is open at same price as if you bought when auto is new?? I so know that you can shop other dealers that discount IF you want to buy.

It is winter here in MN...are the car washes going to hurt the paint much before spring comes??

ANY thoughts or ideas I should be considering would be appreciated...I WILL try to post pictures once I get the car Thanks...TomMartin
never seen mudguards on a 350? I asked and the dealer said they don't make or sell them?
Old 12-27-15, 11:32 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sapd911
never seen mudguards on a 350? I asked and the dealer said they don't make or sell them?
Lexus doesn't sell them. I bought mine in 2013 on Ebay. Fit perfectly, look great, attach in 15 minutes and cost $40.00...
Old 12-27-15, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are some pretty nice, molded, even painted mudguards out there...
Old 12-27-15, 11:38 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Lexus doesn't sell them. I bought mine in 2013 on Ebay. Fit perfectly, look great, attach in 15 minutes and cost $40.00...

do you have to drill?
Old 12-27-15, 11:45 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mspearl95
do you have to drill?
The fronts line up perfectly using existing screws and screw holes. The rears, if my memory serves me, require drilling one hole and using one existing hole. The material (rear quarter) is PLASTIC so NO rust issues. Really is a simple install. BTW, I posted photos of the installation and my car with them on back in 2013.
I tried to find the photos w/o luck.

Last edited by bc6152; 12-27-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 12:48 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 616 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
The fronts line up perfectly using existing screws and screw holes. The rears, if my memory serves me, require drilling one hole and using one existing hole. The material (rear quarter) is PLASTIC so NO rust issues. Really is a simple install. BTW, I posted photos of the installation and my car with them on back in 2013.
I tried to find the photos w/o luck.
Here's your pic's post: LINK
Old 12-27-15, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd paint those personally...
Old 12-27-15, 01:11 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Here's your pic's post: LINK
Thanks Mike. I thought about getting them painted the body color but since the paint is so light I liked the contrast.