ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Console rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 02:13 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Console rattle

Hello everyone... I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced a rattle coming from the console area... a week or two ago I was driving home from work and I heard a "slight" rattle noise.. it sounded as if it was coming from the dash area... This concerened me because when I first bought my car about 18 months or so ago, there was a very annoying squeak in the dash when the temp dropped below 50 degrees... I took it back to the dealer several times for that squeak, and finally a young tech there figured out the problem and fixed it.. still quiet to this day... so anyway I'm hearing this very faint rattle sound ( on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the loudest, this would be a 2 or a 3 ) and it appears to be from the dash area... I keep feeling around and putting pressure on different parts of the dash with no luck... then quite by accident I laid my hand across the counsel and as soon as my fingers pressed up against the round **** that selects eco / normal / or sport, the rattle stopped... removed my hand, rattle started again, just put one finger on the **** and the rattle stopped... so I had the car into the dealership for oil and filter change saturday and I saw that same tech that fixed my squeak last year... told him about the issue and while the car was in the shop he pulled the console.. said he couldn't find anything really wrong except that some of the clips were not lined up.. he didn't know if it would help but he said he insulated all the clips and a few other areas inside the console with some thick felt... charged me nothing... zero.... Don't know if the problem is permanently fixed, but I have not heard it in the two days since...Thought it was pretty nice of the guy to do all that and not charge me a penny... Just wondering if anyone else has heard any noise coming from their counsel area.
Old 11-09-15, 06:24 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I had a rattle that went away when I put pressure on the chrome around the shift indicator. My dealer did the same as yours, putting felt in areas that could produce the rattle. That was 2 years ago and as of today, still no rattle!
Old 11-09-15, 09:01 AM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, it sounded like it was coming from console but it was actually from rear view mirror. Next time you hear the rattle grab rear view mirror and see if it stops.
Old 11-10-15, 07:38 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately with all the plastics used in today's cars, there are a lot of rattles. They still drive me crazy. When I've brought them to the dealership under warranty, my success rate for a fix has been under 50%.