ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES350 2015 - how to turn ON the heat without the AC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 11:25 AM
virtual
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 2015 - how to turn ON the heat without the AC?

There is 68F outside and I wanted to heat up inside to 78F inside. But the climate control shows me the AC is ON as soon as I turn the fan ON. Why is that? Is the AC really turning on and stays on?

I noticed, because the air from the center vent wasn't particularly warm and the cabin didn't get warm as fast as I would expect. In other cars I would just turn the heat ON max and gradually turn it back, but it is not what I am observing here. I feel the hot air coming from the left vent only - the one next to driver door, but the center vents are barely warm.

So I have 2 question here really.
1. Why is the AC indicator on climate control window showing the AC is ON when I am using the heater?

2. Is the AC turning ON always with that indicator turning ON?

Thanks
Old 11-08-15, 12:14 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Set the temperature that you want in the cabin. Then go into the climate control - thru the menu - and turn the A/C off. Voila! You now have heat to your set temp without A/C... The A/C runs while heat is selected to minimize humidity inside the car. It is not always needed and that's why you can just turn it off.
Old 11-08-15, 07:16 PM
virtual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Set the temperature that you want in the cabin. Then go into the climate control - thru the menu - and turn the A/C off. Voila! You now have heat to your set temp without A/C... The A/C runs while heat is selected to minimize humidity inside the car. It is not always needed and that's why you can just turn it off.

Oh Thank you very much. Yes indeed I was able to shut it down!!!
Funny thing is that when I read the manual - there was a figure on page 82 which I obviously misunderstood.

The manual should have been clear to the point to say - move the cursor to 3 dots, click on it and click on the AC.

Well, this technology is too smart for owners like myself.
I would rather have a button.
Thanks, again
Old 11-08-15, 10:22 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure what's different about the 2015 model, on a 2014 car I just press the AC button to turn off the green indicator light. The heater will then run but the interior of the car will get steamy and the windows will fog up without AC on. With AC on, you'll get occasional blasts of cold air. I haven't found a car that could run its heater and AC at a consistent temperature instead of alternating between hot and cold.
Old 11-09-15, 06:29 AM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by chromedome
Not sure what's different about the 2015 model, on a 2014 car I just press the AC button to turn off the green indicator light. The heater will then run but the interior of the car will get steamy and the windows will fog up without AC on. With AC on, you'll get occasional blasts of cold air. I haven't found a car that could run its heater and AC at a consistent temperature instead of alternating between hot and cold.
Yeah you would think it would be that easy, but for some stupid reason lexus decided to NOT offer a manual push button.
Old 11-09-15, 12:39 PM
pras
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a slightly different method than going into the menu -> climate settings.

I have it set so that in "Auto" smog sensor mode, my A/C turns on. If I then switch to manual mode for the smog by pressing the recirculate button, it turns off the A/C.

So for example, if it's a cold day, I do the following:

- Press "Auto" to start the system
- Select my desired temperature
- Press the recirculate button so that "outside air" is manually selected ("auto" light is off on the recirculate button).
- Now I have heated air with the A/C off.

It's not completely ideal, but I prefer it over going into the climate settings each time. Especially during this time of year, when I frequently switch between A/C on and off.

Once it gets colder and remains consistently cold in a few weeks, I will probably change my setting so that in the auto smog mode, the A/C is off, as I won't really be using the A/C in the winter here.
Old 11-09-15, 01:29 PM
pras
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by pras
I use a slightly different method than going into the menu -> climate settings.

I have it set so that in "Auto" smog sensor mode, my A/C turns on. If I then switch to manual mode for the smog by pressing the recirculate button, it turns off the A/C.

So for example, if it's a cold day, I do the following:

- Press "Auto" to start the system
- Select my desired temperature
- Press the recirculate button so that "outside air" is manually selected ("auto" light is off on the recirculate button).
- Now I have heated air with the A/C off.

It's not completely ideal, but I prefer it over going into the climate settings each time. Especially during this time of year, when I frequently switch between A/C on and off.

Once it gets colder and remains consistently cold in a few weeks, I will probably change my setting so that in the auto smog mode, the A/C is off, as I won't really be using the A/C in the winter here.
Looks like I was wrong about the setting...can't change what I thought I could for the summer, however, this process still works for me for the winter
Old 11-09-15, 01:40 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

An on/off A/C button, like those on 90% of other vehicles, would have sufficed...
Old 11-09-15, 04:48 PM
gemini6kl
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that lexus climate control regulates the heat so that it does not come out full heat in the top vents so as to give a more confortable feeling against your face. . I too was bugged when the a/c would come on constantly with the heat but I noticed when its off the car fogs up so now I just let the car do its thing and I have gotten used to it. If its a very cold dry day then I turn it off manualy.
Old 11-09-15, 05:13 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

AC is running so that it removes moisture so the humidity level in the car is balanced.
Old 11-09-15, 07:03 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

pras has the right way of handling the A/C compressor. when the weather gets really cold, there is no use for the A/C compressor to turn on. the humidity has already decreased in many parts of the country that it's not even noticeable anymore. Why waste the A/C compressor on to get rid of a little humidity?
Old 11-09-15, 07:54 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That is seriously weird because my 2014 car (no nav, no ML) does have an AC on/off button, below and to the right of the clock on the climate control button panel. I usually leave it off when I'm riding alone or two up, but I have to leave it on with rear passengers because the windows fog up fast from all that breathing

Edit: just sat in the facelifted ES and yes, they removed the AC button and reorganized the climate control panel. Unbelievable. Love the new steering wheel though.

Last edited by chromedome; 11-09-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 08:43 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AircraftX
pras has the right way of handling the A/C compressor. when the weather gets really cold, there is no use for the A/C compressor to turn on. the humidity has already decreased in many parts of the country that it's not even noticeable anymore. Why waste the A/C compressor on to get rid of a little humidity?
It's not the humidity outside that you're concerned with. You are expelling moist air and increasing the humidity inside the car. Colder air also causes you to lose more water, which contributes to even greater relative humidity inside thecar.
Old 11-10-15, 05:07 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Perhaps the A/C compressor should be cycled frequently to keep it lubricated?
Old 11-10-15, 05:14 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

I just set my temp to 72 and Auto. I'm not understanding the problem. If that's too cold for you, set it to 80.

Quick Reply: ES350 2015 - how to turn ON the heat without the AC?