Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 07:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
But, this is what he wrote:

That's what I was referring to.

I was referring to the same thing. I think that he was saying that the dealer showed him that the car doesn't shut off if the key isn't present, and that is why, for theft protection, it is set up so that, when it is started remotely, it shuts off when you open the door.
Old 10-29-15, 08:27 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

The remote start is claimed to start it for only ten minutes. I always wondered if you drove off without the key, if it would just shut down ten minutes later.

So here's the scenario I would be curious about, for no particular reason other than satisfying my curiosity. Get in the car and use the mobile app to lock the doors. Now use the mobile app to start the car. Now drive away. Does it shut down after ten minutes? Will it even go in gear?
Old 10-30-15, 04:59 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I was referring to the same thing. I think that he was saying that the dealer showed him that the car doesn't shut off if the key isn't present, and that is why, for theft protection, it is set up so that, when it is started remotely, it shuts off when you open the door.
Well, unless he gets back to this thread we'll never know what he really meant. I read it as he remote started the car, not sitting in it and walking out, then could get back in and drive off.
Old 10-30-15, 06:21 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Well, unless he gets back to this thread we'll never know what he really meant. I read it as he remote started the car, not sitting in it and walking out, then could get back in and drive off.
Whew! now I'm confused. I thought that if you remote start your car - using Lexus factory key fob - that the car locked itself. So, that being said, when you come out to the (running) car without the key fob you can't open the door to drive away. ???
Old 10-30-15, 07:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
Whew! now I'm confused. I thought that if you remote start your car - using Lexus factory key fob - that the car locked itself. So, that being said, when you come out to the (running) car without the key fob you can't open the door to drive away. ???
But he is not saying anything that disagrees with that. He is saying that, if you use the Enform remote to start the car WITH your phone and WITHOUT the fob present AFTER you are already in the car, you can still drive the car. And he is also saying that, because the car can be driven without the fob being present once the car has been started, that is the reason why it is set up to shut the engine down when the door is opened.

Similarly, with the original version of RES (or your aftermarket version), if you start the car with the fob while you are already in the car, you could toss the fob out the window, but, once the car has been started, you can still drive it, and, again, that is why the engine is set up to shut down when a door is opened.
Old 10-30-15, 09:29 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I could be wrong, but I believe that what he is saying is that, once the vehicle is started, the key fob no longer needs to be present for you to drive the vehicle, and that is why it is necessary, for theft protection, for it to be set up to shut the car off when, after starting remotely, the door is opened.

You can check that out for yourself. Start the car, and, then, hand the key fob to someone else outside of the vehicle. You will see that, once the car is started, you can drive off even without the fob being in the car.

The one advantage that comes to mind of having it set up that way would be that, if you were out somewhere and if you lost the fob, you wouldn't be stranded if you have the Enform remote starter because you could still start the car with your phone and be able to drive it.
But, this is what he wrote:

That's what I was referring to.

you didn't read my previous post.

the difference is there is no key to turn in the Lexus.

if the car is running you can put it in gear and drive off even if the smart key is no where around.

don't believe me, try it. leave the key in the house, get in the car, remote start the car from your phone and drive off.

Lexus designed it this way so that if you remote start and someone attempts to open the door and take off with the car it shuts down.

you can remote start the car while being in the car and drive off with no key.

that is what the dealer showed me when I mentioned how stupid it was that the car would shut off if I opened the door. He sat in the car, used the remote start app, and then was able to drive off with the car (and my phone) while I was standing there in the dealership with the smart key in my pocket.
Old 10-30-15, 09:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
you didn't read my previous post.
Got it!

How long will it run, 10 minutes? Really surprised it doesn't shut off with the brake. Maybe Toyota can't figure that out, or there's some patent they don't want to pay for, which is why it shuts off when you open the door.
Old 10-30-15, 10:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Got it!

How long will it run, 10 minutes? Really surprised it doesn't shut off with the brake. Maybe Toyota can't figure that out, or there's some patent they don't want to pay for, which is why it shuts off when you open the door.
From what was explained to me when my ES was delivered 2 1/2 years ago, once the vehicle is started remotely and once it is put into gear, the 10 minute shut off no longer applies, and, even without the fob present, you can keep driving the vehicle until you turn it off. But once you do turn it off, you will need either the fob or the smart phone app to turn it back on again.

As I said in an earlier post, the advantage of doing it this way would be that, if you should lose your fob, you won't be stranded because you would still be able to start the car with the smart phone.
Old 10-30-15, 10:44 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Got it!

From what was explained to me when my ES was delivered 2 1/2 years ago, once the vehicle is started remotely and once it is put into gear, the 10 minute shut off no longer applies, and, even without the fob present, you can keep driving the vehicle until you turn it off. But once you do turn it off, you will need either the fob or the smart phone app to turn it back on again.

As I said in an earlier post, the advantage of doing it this way would be that, if you should lose your fob, you won't be stranded because you would still be able to start the car with the smart phone.

I believe Lesz is correct, but I don't know for sure.. i'm sure it was less than 10 minutes when it was demonstrated to me..