ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

lexus enform remote start

Old 10-27-15, 12:20 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lexus enform remote start

So My 16 ES starts remotely but shuts off everytime I open the doors or unlock the doors with the keyfob?

So I have to re-start it eveytime I get in? Whats the point? I can maybe see the heater for winter or ac for summer but my car is garaged.
Old 10-27-15, 12:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Unfortunately, that is the way it's designed. Not all manufacturers do it this way but Toyota does.
Old 10-27-15, 12:43 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guess I wont be using remote start!
Old 10-27-15, 12:52 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Well it's still useful when parked somewhere in the Texas sun and you can start it ahead of time. Don't need it so much in the winter down there.
Old 10-27-15, 01:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

It has been that way with the RES, RES+, and, now, Enform Remote.

There have been other threads here about this issue in the past. Speculation has been that it is that way for reasons related to anti-theft protection and/or safety. It could also well be the case that it is set up that way to eliminate liability to to Lexus/Toyota if the vehicle was stolen or, perhaps, entered and driven by a child after it had been started remotely.
Old 10-27-15, 06:35 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

My Maxima stayed running! Just unlock, get in, touch the brake pedal with the key in the car and take off. Get in and out of it all day long on short stops and leave it running while locked. No theft concern at all as the car can not be put into gear without the key present or it turns off. Sadly my 2015 ES with Enform does the same as yours. Clearly not listening to the users' needs or desires on this one. You can go with a non-factory remote and do as you wish though. Disappointing also that you can't subscribe to just the Enform remote after one year and that your key FOB remote start will not work after Enform expires.
Old 10-27-15, 06:46 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
You can go with a non-factory remote and do as you wish though.
Really? That's not what I've heard. I've read on here that it functions the same as Toyota/Lexus designed.
Old 10-29-15, 04:00 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Really? That's not what I've heard. I've read on here that it functions the same as Toyota/Lexus designed.
You are correct Mike. Aftermarket RES units shut off when the door is opened. I found this out when I bought my aftermarket remote. According to the dealer, all remotes do this as it is not the remote but the way the car (Lexus) is designed... Puzzling because if Nissan and my wife's Acura can do it differently why can't Toyota?
Old 10-29-15, 04:27 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
My Maxima stayed running! Just unlock, get in, touch the brake pedal with the key in the car and take off. Get in and out of it all day long on short stops and leave it running while locked. No theft concern at all as the car can not be put into gear without the key present or it turns off. Sadly my 2015 ES with Enform does the same as yours. Clearly not listening to the users' needs or desires on this one. You can go with a non-factory remote and do as you wish though. Disappointing also that you can't subscribe to just the Enform remote after one year and that your key FOB remote start will not work after Enform expires.

the difference is there is no key to turn in the Lexus.

if the car is running you can put it in gear and drive off even if the smart key is no where around.

don't believe me, try it. leave the key in the house, get in the car, remote start the car from your phone and drive off.

Lexus designed it this way so that if you remote start and someone attempts to open the door and take off with the car it shuts down.
Old 10-29-15, 04:35 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
the difference is there is no key to turn in the Lexus.

if the car is running you can put it in gear and drive off even if the smart key is no where around.

don't believe me, try it. leave the key in the house, get in the car, remote start the car from your phone and drive off.

Lexus designed it this way so that if you remote start and someone attempts to open the door and take off with the car it shuts down.
You need to hit the brake before you put it in gear. The car should check for the key once the brake is applied. I believe this is how other manufactures do it.
Old 10-29-15, 04:57 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

You need to hit the brake before you put it in gear. The car should check for the key once the brake is applied. I believe this is how other manufactures do it.

understood.. but the Lexus doesn't turn off.

at least my RC-F doesn't.

---

I was irritated at the shutoff as well when the dealer told me about it, and then the delivery rep showed me how you can drive off without a key if the car was remote started.

---

The car should have been designed to sense the key and turn off if the key is not in the cabin, Porsche's do this with their smart key technology, at least my friends 2015 Panamera does, if he exits the car with the key, the car shuts down.

Don't understand why Lexus choose not to incorporate such a simple function.
Old 10-29-15, 05:45 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

My Maxima had no key, it was pushbutton start just like the Lexus. The Maxima factory remote did shut off as soon as the door was opened, The aftermarket remote was programmed by default design to NOT shut off when the door was opened, and would turn off the engine if the transmission was shifted out of park without a key in the car. Otherwise you could open the door, press the brake pedal, shift into drive and drive off. Very handy to leave your car running on cold days or just to pop into a store for a coffee without all the malarky of shutting off the car etc.
Old 10-29-15, 06:27 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

understood.. but the Lexus doesn't turn off.

at least my RC-F doesn't.

---

I was irritated at the shutoff as well when the dealer told me about it, and then the delivery rep showed me how you can drive off without a key if the car was remote started.

---

The car should have been designed to sense the key and turn off if the key is not in the cabin, Porsche's do this with their smart key technology, at least my friends 2015 Panamera does, if he exits the car with the key, the car shuts down.

Don't understand why Lexus choose not to incorporate such a simple function.
You're saying the opposite of what people are complaining about. Now I'm confused.

The only way you can drive off with mine, is if you start it and walk away. Not "remote" start.
Old 10-29-15, 06:59 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

You're saying the opposite of what people are complaining about. Now I'm confused.

The only way you can drive off with mine, is if you start it and walk away. Not "remote" start.
I could be wrong, but I believe that what he is saying is that, once the vehicle is started, the key fob no longer needs to be present for you to drive the vehicle, and that is why it is necessary, for theft protection, for it to be set up to shut the car off when, after starting remotely, the door is opened.

You can check that out for yourself. Start the car, and, then, hand the key fob to someone else outside of the vehicle. You will see that, once the car is started, you can drive off even without the fob being in the car.

The one advantage that comes to mind of having it set up that way would be that, if you were out somewhere and if you lost the fob, you wouldn't be stranded if you have the Enform remote starter because you could still start the car with your phone and be able to drive it.
Old 10-29-15, 07:01 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
I could be wrong, but I believe that what he is saying is that, once the vehicle is started, the key fob no longer needs to be present for you to drive the vehicle, and that is why it is necessary, for theft protection, for it to be set up to shut the car off when, after starting remotely, the door is opened.
But, this is what he wrote:

That's what I was referring to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lexus enform remote start