ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES350 Cargo Net Issue

Old 10-16-15, 09:57 AM
Bubbamill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ES350 Cargo Net Issue

Howdy,

Just purchased a new 2015 and it came with the cargo net option. The net stores in a bag that is anchored to the rear trunk wall. When I try to access the spare tire I can't lift the floor panel that covers the well. The cargo bag overlaps the solid floor panel and won't let it lift. I tried removing the net from the bag to make the bag more flexible but it still blocks any attempt to lift the trunk floor panel.

There must be a way to do this and I'm just too dumb to see it right now. I was able to finally lift the panel with a combination of tucking, twisting, and cursing my way through it. Surely I'm overlooking something obvious?

If the cargo net bag would just unclip then the problem would be solved. But it appears to be screwed into place.

Thanks
Old 10-16-15, 10:22 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

I have the cargo net. What is this bag you refer to? Any pic's?
Old 10-16-15, 10:36 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I decline on the trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks etc. and save a few bucks. I buy or ask the salesman to give me the trunk mat and can use it for a whole generation of ES's - like 2013-2019.

Dave Mac
Old 10-16-15, 10:39 AM
Bubbamill
Driver School Candidate

Hi Mike,

Here are some photos. Black net and black trunk is a bit hard to see. But the vinyl bag holds the net when stored and the bag is bolted in place. You can see the silver anchor on the right in one pix.

Even when the net is deployed the bottom is attached inside the bag so it is always in the way of lifting the cover for the spare tire.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails ES350 Cargo Net Issue-img_0552.jpg   ES350 Cargo Net Issue-img_0553.jpg  
Old 10-16-15, 10:46 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I think you have to undo the snaps holding the bag on, remove it, then it's no prob for spare tire access.
Old 10-16-15, 10:56 AM
Bubbamill
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Ha, well that makes sense! I checked and you are correct. What I missed was that the chrome anchor rings are fitted inside pouches on the rear of the bag and the pouch is snapped closed.

Nice clean install that hid the way things were connected. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Old 10-16-15, 11:04 AM
kxaz145
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cargo net came installed on my 2014 ES350, but because of your issue and just routine "getting in the way" I permanently removed it. I have had cargo nets on other cars I've owned, but they were not obtrusive and were easy to "hook into" place when needed, but also easy to move out of the way. I even made mention of this on my JD Power and Lexus new buyer surveys.
Old 10-16-15, 11:34 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bubbamill
Ha, well that makes sense! I checked and you are correct. What I missed was that the chrome anchor rings are fitted inside pouches on the rear of the bag and the pouch is snapped closed.

Nice clean install that hid the way things were connected. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
np! it definitely isn't the most convenient system if you ask me. getting those snaps refastened tends to be a little awkward. It does kinda seem like the bag is unnecessary too.
Old 10-16-15, 12:00 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I've never seen that bag. Maybe it was never installed on mine, of it got tossed.
Old 10-16-15, 12:08 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I've never seen that bag. Maybe it was never installed on mine, of it got tossed.
If you haven't actually looked for the storage bag, check again. I've had my 2013 ES for 2 1/2 years, and I never realized that there was a storage bag for the cargo net until I read this thread and went out and looked for it. Sure enough, it is there at the bottom of the cargo net.
Old 10-16-15, 01:07 PM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Ya, that bag integrated into the bottom of the new is weird. Never have seen something like that on any of the 3 or 4 other cars I've owned that had cargo nets.

Mine came lying loose on the floor of the '13 CPO car I just bought. I didn't realize about the chrome securing rings, though. I'll have to check them out tonight.
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 10-16-15, 04:14 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
If you haven't actually looked for the storage bag, check again. I've had my 2013 ES for 2 1/2 years, and I never realized that there was a storage bag for the cargo net until I read this thread and went out and looked for it. Sure enough, it is there at the bottom of the cargo net.
Now I see the bag! It's actually the bottom of the net. Mine has never been connected by more than just the side hooks, so I never had the OP's issue.
Old 10-17-15, 04:07 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is, why are you so intent on getting into the spare tire well? If you aren't mechanically inclined enough to find 2 snaps and undo them, I would say that you should leave other slightly more advanced projects (like changing a tire) to professionals. Ya know, like the people with Roadside Assistance. It's a free service as long as your car is under warranty, and since your car is a fairly recently purchased '15, you can just push the SOS button and someone will come on the line to assist you.
Old 10-17-15, 08:57 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrDDay
My question is, why are you so intent on getting into the spare tire well? If you aren't mechanically inclined enough to find 2 snaps and undo them, I would say that you should leave other slightly more advanced projects (like changing a tire) to professionals. Ya know, like the people with Roadside Assistance. It's a free service as long as your car is under warranty, and since your car is a fairly recently purchased '15, you can just push the SOS button and someone will come on the line to assist you.
my question is, why are you so angry?
Old 10-18-15, 09:11 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDDay
Geez, the man is exploring his new car. I did the same thing when I got mine. Who cares why he's going into the spare tire well? It's his car and he can do whatever he wants with it.

The important thing here is that he received an answer from the kind members of this forum.
Lighten up...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES350 Cargo Net Issue