Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Opinion on Options in new 2016 ES300h

Old 10-13-15, 09:39 PM
cjs1043
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on Options in new 2016 ES300h

Interested in opinions on the value of the following options
  1. Lexus Safety System
    which contains folowing features
    High-speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control*
    Intelligent high-beam headlamps*
    Lane Departure Alert* with Steering Assist*
    Pre-Collision System* with Pedestrian Detection*
  2. Paint Protection Film
  3. Rain sensing wipers
  4. Flaxen Interior
  5. Navigation - I prefer google maps on my phone, but am unsure if I will get the other features like voice recognition and sms text to speech if I do not get Navigation

Also any pros and cons of going with Nu Luxe over leather other than cost. I prefer to leave out the cow, but wondering if Nu Luxe is easy to rip or stain compared to leather.

thanks in advance
Old 10-14-15, 05:28 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

At its current very low price, I'd have a hard time passing up the Safety System. For the 2016 ES, the cost of the entire package is now less than what was the cost of just the blind spot monitor for the model 2013-2015 model year.

Rain sensing wipers are a nice convenience, and they are one of many features that fit into the category of "once I've had them, I wouldn't want to be without them", but I'm not sure that they are an absolute necessity.

Even though I don't often need turn-by-turn guidance and even though smart phone apps can often provide directions better than the vehicle's navigation system, I know that I will never buy a car in the future without a navigation system. First, no other navigation device or app can beat having an easily readable screen in a convenient location, and, even if you don't need turn-by-turn directions, just having the map available 100% of the time is nice. Also, even though the mark-up on navigation system's is ridiculously high, there may not be another option that returns a higher percentage of its initial cost at trade-in or re-sale time than does a navigation system. Dealer used car managers love to get cars with navigation systems because they know that they will move off of their lots much faster than cars without a navigation system, and, thus, they are willing to pay a premium for cars with a navigation system. Similarly, even in a private sale and especially so for a car like a Lexus, there will be a much higher level of demand for a car with a navigation system, and, thus, it is likely to bring a premium price.

The Flaxen interior (or any other interior color) is completely a matter of personal taste.

If you are particular about the fits and finishes of your vehicle, getting the paint protection film might be a good idea, but I'd make sure that I had confidence in the installer's ability to do a quality job, and I'd also shop around. You will find a wide range of prices. There is also a wide range of materials, and some are better than others. Further, some will just cover the front of the hood and fenders. What may be the most vulnerable area for stone nicks is the bumper, and many of the people who install the paint protection film either don't include the bumper or only include it at a much higher cost.
Old 10-14-15, 05:59 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I forgot to say, in my post above, that the NuLux is actually a very nice fake leather, but the problem is that, unless you get the Luxury Package (with standard leather) or the Ultra Luxury Package (with semi-aniline leather), you are unlikely to be able to find or even special order an ES with other options that might want.
Old 10-14-15, 06:12 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Would agree that the safety system is worth the price. I have the rain-sensing wipers in my 14 ES and really like them. I also have the Luxury package which includes heated/cooled seats in addition to the leather and Navigation which has great graphics but not as convenient as the 2010 Acura unit this car replaced. Blind spot monitoring and park assist were also included and I have come to love those also. I would consider these as well.

I went to the dealership looking for Luxury/Nav packages with other options negotiable. I have the rear sunshade but it wasn't a must have. I could also have done without the side molding and illuminated door sills but finding a car with exact equipment is hard to do unless you special order. Good luck in your search!
Old 10-14-15, 07:10 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Safety system definitely worth price to me.
Rain sensing wipers are a nice convenience, but easy to adjust to not having them.
Paint protection film would depend on potential issues and price.
I really like the flaxen interior. I have a similar color in my MDX (Acura called it Umber). Particularly looks good with white or black exterior. I don't like very dark nor light interiors. Flaxen is great for not showing dirt, but is also not as hot as black interiors.
Re navigation, our vehicles have nav, but I find it easier to use the phone app if I need turn by turn directions. I generally only use the nav screen when I am in an area that I am somewhat familiar with, but need a little assistance with street names/turns.
Old 10-14-15, 07:14 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I passed on the Safety System because of perceived problems with the pedestrian system - and my driving needs - yours may be different of course. I did however go for the LED headlights which are required with the Safety System at an additional $525.

I'm not to big on Paint Protection Films but if done well do provide some protection.

I have had and will continue to get the rain sensing wipers.

I considered but then decided against the Flaxen interior thinking it was a little too orange - this would be a personal choice though.

I would get navigation for the other features it provides and resale value.

Nu-Lux is really a pretty good and durable material but with the 2016 models you get a better looking seat with leather and I believe more wood trim than without the luxury package.

I have no need for a heated steering wheel so skipped on that saving another $100+.

My favorite option is power trunk opener at $400 - sometimes requires a special order.

The rear sunscreen is not of great value to me but is required with many option packages even though it is not stated as such.

Enjoy the process of picking out your car. Also my experience has been that a special order does not take as long as the salespeople will tell you - but as they say your mileage may vary.

Dave Mac
Old 10-14-15, 10:58 AM
Jets
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually prefer light colored seats. But in my 2015 if i got the light seats everything was light and in my opinion it made the center console look too plasticky. So I went wth black.
The rest is not worth thinking about as those things are not all availavle a la cart afaik. To me the only choice in the ES is Luxury versus Ultra luxury. And wether or not you want 18" wheels.
Old 10-14-15, 07:15 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally think the Safety Package is well worth the cost. All other options depend on negotiated costs and availability. Btw, you might not be able to get some of these options without the Nav System. One option not mentioned that I really like is the automatic rear shade. It helps keep the rear cooler and from fading, just like a nice front windshield shade for hot climates.

I personally think leather has a nicer touch and name than vinyl, although Lexus's Nu Luxe is suppose to be very durable and leather-like. But why get an imitation?
Old 10-14-15, 07:17 PM
cjs1043
Driver School Candidate

All,

Thanks so much for your replies, these help me tremendously.

I didnt know about the increase in resale value with a Navigation system.

On the ES300h i cannot get panoramic roof due to the weight of the glass and i really wanted it. I also cannot get Birds Eye Maple steering with Flaxen Interior and again I do really like the Flaxen interior so I have go with Linear Dark Mocha Wood interior. The other option is Bamboo but 2016 has Matt finish instead of glossy and I feel the Matt finish does not look as good.

I am actually able to get most options I want with NuLuxe and without the luxury or Ultra luxury package as long as I special order the Lexus, which means I will have to wait 90-120 days. I like some of the functionality in the Luxury packages but I don't want leather (for religious beliefs). Unfortunately i cannot get away with the leather trimmed steering wheel - i like the wood trim and Lexus forces me to get wood with leather. I really dislike Lexus forcing certain options with others.

Paint Protection - Lexus offers it as an option for $429 but as Lesz pointed out it does not include the bumper. The dealer provides hood, mirrors and fenders but not the front bumper. Dealer charges $1200 for all which I think is exhorbitant just to add the bumper.

Dave Mac
Power trunk opener - pls advise the value for this feature - how is it different from a latch opening the trunk?

Below is the list I am currently planning on for my special order (i can get cars off the lot with everything below except the Safety System)

ES300h
Nightfall Mica Exterior
Flaxen with Linear Dark Mocha Wood Trim Interior
Navigation
Premium Package
Lexus Safety System
Heated and Ventilated Front seats
Blind Spot Monitor
Intuitive Parking Assist
Paint Protection Film
Wood and Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel
Rain sensing wipers
All weather mats
Carpet Trunk mat
Alloy Wheel Locks
Key Gloves
Old 10-14-15, 08:20 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Dave Mac - Power trunk opener - pls advise the value for this feature - how is it different from a latch opening the trunk?

The power trunk opener is just that - it opens the trunk rather than just unlatching it and it closes the trunk with just the push of a button on the inside of the lid. I really like it as does my wife which is not always the case with $400 options. I have to admit though that I had always - many years - been attracted to power trunk openers. I might like it even better if it could be closed from inside the car or with the remote but I can understand the safety issues involved.

Dave Mac
Old 10-15-15, 05:10 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 610 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I might like it even better if it could be closed from inside the car or with the remote but I can understand the safety issues involved.

Dave Mac
I know. Lincoln allowed this many years ago.
Old 10-15-15, 07:48 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you expand on Safety Systen problems? Thank you

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I passed on the Safety System because of perceived problems with the pedestrian system - and my driving needs - yours may be different of course. I did however go for the LED headlights which are required with the Safety System at an additional $525.

I'm not to big on Paint Protection Films but if done well do provide some protection.

I have had and will continue to get the rain sensing wipers.

I considered but then decided against the Flaxen interior thinking it was a little too orange - this would be a personal choice though.

I would get navigation for the other features it provides and resale value.

Nu-Lux is really a pretty good and durable material but with the 2016 models you get a better looking seat with leather and I believe more wood trim than without the luxury package.

I have no need for a heated steering wheel so skipped on that saving another $100+.

My favorite option is power trunk opener at $400 - sometimes requires a special order.

The rear sunscreen is not of great value to me but is required with many option packages even though it is not stated as such.

Enjoy the process of picking out your car. Also my experience has been that a special order does not take as long as the salespeople will tell you - but as they say your mileage may vary.

Dave Mac
Old 10-15-15, 09:09 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

My concerns were with the laser cruise control and the Pre-Collision System. I had read (here I think) of false activation causes by bridge railings and light poles on occasion. Reading the owner's manual seems to warn of this. ALL of my driving seems to be in the city and it just sounded like it was a feature that I would have turned off much of the time. My son has a new Denali and it has a pre-collision system of some kind that is activated at 35 mph and is flashing or braking much of the time in city driving. Under different driving conditions the safety system at just $500 is probably a good buy. The $500 is a little misleading because it is only available with the $525 LED headlights which I did order though those two may be of limited value for my driving. Like a power trunk I also always liked the best headlights available.

Dave Mac
Old 10-17-15, 09:13 AM
cjs1043
Driver School Candidate

Some more quetsions re: options.

Paint Protection Film - My dealer said they had lots of complaints when the film gets older. Plastic wears more quickly and actually looks uglier. The plastic protects but doesn't look good and color fading varies under plastic vs elsewhere. Suggested that i am better off without paint protection film and just washing the car more frequently. Thoughts?

Alloy wheel locks: if the lock bolt gets rusted it can be a challenge taking it off especially due to the key lock. better off with normal nuts.

heated steering wheel - any point getting this with the wood trim? I have usually never felt a need for it because usually when it is so cold outside I would carry gloves.

any comments on these?
Old 10-17-15, 09:26 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Originally Posted by cjs1043
Some more quetsions re: options.

Paint Protection Film - My dealer said they had lots of complaints when the film gets older. Plastic wears more quickly and actually looks uglier. The plastic protects but doesn't look good and color fading varies under plastic vs elsewhere. Suggested that i am better off without paint protection film and just washing the car more frequently. Thoughts?

Alloy wheel locks: if the lock bolt gets rusted it can be a challenge taking it off especially due to the key lock. better off with normal nuts.

heated steering wheel - any point getting this with the wood trim? I have usually never felt a need for it because usually when it is so cold outside I would carry gloves.

any comments on these?
I agree with you dealer on the paint protection film.

Wheel locks - I always have the dealer remove if already installed. Stock Lexus wheels are not often wanted by those who steal wheels and I just find them an inconvenience. If you want them removed have it done before you take delivery - for free. The cost of buying four lug nuts from Lexus parts will surprise you.

You can special order your car with just the wood trim steering wheel, not the heated version which depending on where you live can save a few dollars. Now if they offered a cooled version that is something I might be interested in.

Dave Mac

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion on Options in new 2016 ES300h