ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Carpet is wet under the front Drivers & Passenger mats.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 12:37 PM
sporty87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carpet is wet under the front Drivers & Passenger mats.

Was cleaning my wife's 2013 ES 350 today and lifted the front mats and the carpet on both the passenger and drivers side was fairly damp (no dampness under the rear mats). As a test I ran water over the windshield so in would run into the vents at the bottom of the windshield (under the wipers) to see if it would drain under the car and not into it and it drained just fine.
I am wondering if maybe there is a drain some place for the air conditioner that maybe clogged which causes the water to drain into the car and if that is the case can anyone tell me where that drain is?
Thanks
Old 09-27-15, 01:27 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

There is a gutter-like channel in the roof around the perimeter where the sunroof sits. That channel collects any water that gets around the sunroof seals. Then, on both sides that channel, there are "downspouts" that take any water collected down through the A pillars, and that water is supposed to drain out holes under the car just in front of the two front doors. If debris collects in the channel, it can block the path of the water through the A pillars and out from the bottom of the vehicle. When that happens, water can be diverted to the floor area where you have said that you found the damp spots. I'd guess that this kind of blockage is the likely cause of your issue.
Old 10-14-15, 08:35 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty87
Was cleaning my wife's 2013 ES 350 today and lifted the front mats and the carpet on both the passenger and drivers side was fairly damp (no dampness under the rear mats). As a test I ran water over the windshield so in would run into the vents at the bottom of the windshield (under the wipers) to see if it would drain under the car and not into it and it drained just fine.
I am wondering if maybe there is a drain some place for the air conditioner that maybe clogged which causes the water to drain into the car and if that is the case can anyone tell me where that drain is?
Thanks
Did you ever figure out the cause? Just discovered yesterday afternoon that my floorboards are wet as well(2013). Worst underneath the front passenger seat(by the rear floor air vent), but they are all damp. Inbound to dealer now.
The following users liked this post:
raygunclan (07-03-20)
Old 10-14-15, 07:27 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds too soon for a leaky heater core. More likely a clogged drain from the condenser or moonroof drains.
Old 10-15-15, 09:58 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Just heard form the service rep, looks like the evaporator drain hose was clogged- said insect nest. I guess there is a new style drain hose with an insect- proof tip on it, so they are installing that. They are going to pull, dry and disinfect the carpets too.
Old 10-15-15, 05:47 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,235 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Sounds too soon for a leaky heater core. More likely a clogged drain from the condenser or moonroof drains.
Hey, you nailed it Art. A clogged condenser hose. Nice catch.
Old 10-15-15, 08:52 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Bob- lucky guess and you see this problem from time to time.
Old 11-03-15, 04:59 PM
sporty87
Driver School Candidate

Angry Carpet still wet and Not Covered under Warranty.

Thanks
Well I took the car to the dealer and guess what they can't find a problem. All drains are clear they say. They did a water test and say no leaks so NOT Covered Under WARRANTY! Cost was $700 to remove carpets and dry them so I said OK. Then they say they find mold under the carpet so approximately another $2500 to mold proof the interior under the carpet. Next they will say I need new carpet but I'm not sure.Called corporate Lexus and no luck!
Insurance may cover it but not sure. Car only has 23000 miles and I have lost faith in the car and Lexus as a company. This water came from somewhere and they are just solving the symptom not the problem!
A $40,000 car and this I have this ******. I have had cars 15 years and never a problem like this.
Buyer Beware!
This will be my last Lexus. Hope insurance will cover this so at least I can sell the car if I have to.
Old 11-04-15, 08:52 AM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they should find and fix the leak first, then replace carpet or else mold will come back again when rain comes.
Old 11-04-15, 09:40 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

My brother had an Audi A6 and when it was in a heavy rain the entire front floor was soaked. When the carpets were removed - front and back - they also found mold. The insurance company totaled the car and he now drives a Jeep...

Good Luck with the car Sporty...

Last edited by bc6152; 11-04-15 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 11:39 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I think the dealer is giving you the runaround. Water is coming from somewhere, unless you're intentionally hosing the driver and passenger front floor, or been involved in some sort of flood. It's either leaking from the firewall, evaporator/heater core, or the roof/sunroof drains due clogged drains or leaky seals.

I'd suggest you go to another dealer and have them check it out. Paying this dealer to dry them out, then mold proofing and finally replacing it is adding insult to injury. Again, water is coming from somewhere and the dealer needs to address that. This is not normally how Corp. Lexus usually treats their customers. I'm really surprised and shocked at the treatment you've received.

As a last resort, as Bob mentioned, submit a claim through your insurance company. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-09-15, 02:32 AM
sporty87
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Update on wet carpet

Went thru insurance and they agreed to pay $2500. Lexus wants $5000 so I can't have Lexus do the job. I now had to have the car flatbed ed to an auto body shop because the whole interior is out where they will also check for leaks do the mold removal and put everything back together.
I am hoping that the auto body shop will find the leak.
If they don't find the leak I believe a trade in and new car is in my future. I will never buy another Lexus after the way the dealer and corporate have handled this problem.
I have also seen on the internet that many other people have had leak problems as well and when I spoke to corporate they admitted it as well.
Old 11-09-15, 09:55 AM
sporty87
Driver School Candidate

Default Anyone know part # for AC Drain Hose to keep unclogged

Just got a call from Lexus service manager at SMITHTOWN LEXUS in NY because I filled out a survey of how satisfied I am with my past service and of course it was negative. He told me that on a preventive course there is a part that gets pushed into the AC drain hose to keep it from getting blocked and it is about $10 and I should put it in. I told him see, even that they won't do as a courtesy to keep a customer happy. He then told me he would give me the part. He would check to make sure he has the part and he would call me right back.
Still no call back 2.5 hours later. DOES any one know the part # for this item or what it is called so I can purchase it myself. 2013 ES350.
Old 11-09-15, 10:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Well, as Art pointed out, there is a leak allowing water to enter the cabin. To me this is a warranty issue and should be corrected free of charge by Lexus. In my opinion you shouldn't have to spend a nickel. Is there no way you can appeal this dealer's refusal to help? Can't you go above the phone agent's level and request assistance? I wouldn't give up just yet but try more complaining and being a PITA. I think that you are being treated poorly.
Old 11-09-15, 10:54 AM
sporty87
Driver School Candidate

Just got a call from Lexus service manager at SMITHTOWN LEXUS in NY because I filled out a survey of how satisfied I am with my past service and of course it was negative. He told me that on a preventive course there is a part that gets pushed into the AC drain hose to keep it from getting blocked and it is about $10 and I should put it in. I told him see, even that they won't do as a courtesy to keep a customer happy. He then told me he would give me the part. He would check to make sure he has the part and he would call me right back.
Still no call back 2.5 hours later. DOES any one know the part # for this item or what it is called so I can purchase it myself. 2013 ES350.
Service Manager called back and has the part. I will pick it up this afternoon and give it to the shop that is now working on the car.

Quick Reply: Carpet is wet under the front Drivers & Passenger mats.