ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Going from 2014 ES 350 to 2012 LS 460L, is it a good move?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 06:26 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from 2014 ES 350 to 2012 LS 460L, is it a good move?

Hi guys,

I made a similar question in the LS forum and you probably will know the answers. What do YOU think. Will you do it. The LS in in a CPO. I haven't driven't it but it look good in pics. Would it be a step back or will you do it if you had the chance. Going for a new LS is not in the budget right now. Thanks.
Mario
Old 09-15-15, 07:03 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

LS - the finest car I ever owned - Go For It.
Old 09-15-15, 07:36 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

The main question you need to ask yourself, is this a good financial decision? I see you leased the 2014 ES. I assume you're getting out of it early???
Old 09-15-15, 08:38 AM
jda2000
Driver School Candidate

Why would you downgrade. The 2014 ES is a sweet piece of machine.
I would not do it
Old 09-15-15, 08:43 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
The main question you need to ask yourself, is this a good financial decision? I see you leased the 2014 ES. I assume you're getting out of it early???
Yes you are right. Probably I'll have to look at the financial part of it.
Old 09-15-15, 09:15 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I don't believe that there is anyone other than you who can give a good answer to your question.

You are talking about 2 very different vehicles. Owning each of them would come with very different advantages and disadvantages.

Putting aside any differences in the current values of the two vehicles, for me, I would have no interest in owning an LS. While I don't dismiss the fact that the LS is a much more luxurious vehicle and that it has features that the ES doesn't have, it is also a somewhat larger vehicle, which translates into issues with parking, taking up more garage space, etc. And it also means significantly lower fuel economy. For my needs, the ES is a perfect fit. The size is perfect for me, and it provides a nice balance between fuel economy, cabin space, etc. Also, I'm well past the point in life where the advantages of rear wheel drive mean anything to me. Instead, since I live in the north and have to drive in difficult winter conditions, I value the advantages of front wheel drive (or all wheel drive). Since you appear to live in Florida, that probably isn't an issue for you.

So, it comes down to, among other factors, how much you value the added luxury and whether that luxury is worth the initial cost, the additional long-term cost of ownership, etc., and whether the larger size is something that you consider to be an advantage or a disadvantage. Again, only you can really evaluate the pros and cons of making the switch.
Old 09-15-15, 10:04 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by jda2000
I would not do it
Thanks for your input. I am only thinking about it.
Old 09-15-15, 10:05 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I don't believe that there is anyone other than you who can give a good answer to your question.

You are talking about 2 very different vehicles. Owning each of them would come with very different advantages and disadvantages.

Putting aside any differences in the current values of the two vehicles, for me, I would have no interest in owning an LS. While I don't dismiss the fact that the LS is a much more luxurious vehicle and that it has features that the ES doesn't have, it is also a somewhat larger vehicle, which translates into issues with parking, taking up more garage space, etc. And it also means significantly lower fuel economy. For my needs, the ES is a perfect fit. The size is perfect for me, and it provides a nice balance between fuel economy, cabin space, etc. Also, I'm well past the point in life where the advantages of rear wheel drive mean anything to me. Instead, since I live in the north and have to drive in difficult winter conditions, I value the advantages of front wheel drive (or all wheel drive). Since you appear to live in Florida, that probably isn't an issue for you.

So, it comes down to, among other factors, how much you value the added luxury and whether that luxury is worth the initial cost, the additional long-term cost of ownership, etc., and whether the larger size is something that you consider to be an advantage or a disadvantage. Again, only you can really evaluate the pros and cons of making the switch.
Thanks for your honest opinion. Appreciated.
Old 09-15-15, 10:24 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jda2000
I would not do it
Sorry, you're incorrect with that statement. The LS is the superior machine even if the es350 has newer tech in it. No matter how you spin it, the es350 is essentially a fancy camry that seems loud in comparison to an LS460.
The biggest problem with an LS is that once you drive it, even "quiet" cars like the ES will seem noisy.
Old 09-15-15, 10:49 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

There are definitely advantages in owning the "Flagship" of the Lexus line. As others have pointed out, the ES is a very nice car, and for many much more practical than the LS.

I faced a similar choice, debating between a brand new ES or a Certified Pre-Owned LS, and I ended up going the LS direction. I actually went for the "Flagship" of the "Flagship" line, the LS600hL, and have not regretted my decision a single day over the past 18 months of ownership. When my LS was in for service, I was given a new ES loaner. Again, nice car, but I was pretty happy to settle back into my 7 year old LS when the service was done, which tells me I made the right call.
Old 09-15-15, 11:21 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickTee
Sorry, you're incorrect with that statement. The LS is the superior machine even if the es350 has newer tech in it. No matter how you spin it, the es350 is essentially a fancy camry that seems loud in comparison to an LS460.
The biggest problem with an LS is that once you drive it, even "quiet" cars like the ES will seem noisy.
Just an FYI, the current gen ES is based off the Avalon. A glorified Camry it surely is not.

I do figure the LS is a better car, but the previous "shortcomings" are valid....its bigger, will get worse mpg, possibly cost more to keep up (could be wrong on that one, not sure)

I feel like the whole Lexus car lineup is pretty well positioned. Sporty luxury? IS/RC. Cruising luxury? ES/LS. A cross between the two? GS.

I think the ES is the best value if you are looking for a cruiser. Of course the LS is nicer, for the price difference it better be. Funny, though, how the ES has just about as much interior room as the LS.
Old 09-15-15, 05:00 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisexv6
Just an FYI, the current gen ES is based off the Avalon. A glorified Camry it surely is not.

I do figure the LS is a better car, but the previous "shortcomings" are valid....its bigger, will get worse mpg, possibly cost more to keep up (could be wrong on that one, not sure)

I feel like the whole Lexus car lineup is pretty well positioned. Sporty luxury? IS/RC. Cruising luxury? ES/LS. A cross between the two? GS.

I think the ES is the best value if you are looking for a cruiser. Of course the LS is nicer, for the price difference it better be. Funny, though, how the ES has just about as much interior room as the LS.
That's incorrect, it's still based on the Camry platform. The Avalon rides on the XX platform vs the Camry and the ES ride on the XV platform.
The ES is great car, but it has shortcomings that I wouldn't expect in a car of the price. Luckily, they were finally addressed in the 2016 model.

I can definitely agree with the size, technology, and repair cost downsides. The gas mileage thing is debatable, as LS owners have regularly gotten 30-32 mpg on the highway, equivalent to what our ES will get. City mileage is slightly worse, but for that you get a quieter, more supple ride everywhere.

We can definitely point out its downsides, but to call it a downgrade is laughable at best.
Old 09-15-15, 05:08 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Platform
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_K_platform
Lexus ES — XV30 (2001–2006),[4] XV40 (2006–2012),[16] XV60 (2012–present)[17]
Toyota Avalon — XX30 (2005–2012),[4][5][6] XX40 (2012–present)[7]
Toyota Camry — XV30 (2001–2006),[3][4][5] XV40 (2006–2011),[6] XV50 (2011–present)[8]

Last edited by jollick; 09-15-15 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Look at the platform code though in that Wikipedia shot above. Sure enough it says the ES and Camry are the XV chassis while the Avalon is the XX chassis. Interesting.

In any event, the Avalon is only really a stretched Camry platform anyways. Both cars are essentially based on the Camry.

Anyways, I chimed in to your LS thread. I've had three LS sedans and two ES sedans, although not a current gen ES, I have had several of them as loaners, I also seriously considered getting one in 2012 before I upgraded to the GS.

The LS is a considerably better car which you would expect for it being twice as expensive as the ES. Everything that is good about the ES is significantly better in the LS, its smoother, quieter, more refined, more substantial, the powertrain and delivery are incredibly smooth. Its just everything on another level.

Now, that said the ES is a great car, and you could buy two of them for the cost of one LS. The lease payment on my LS has 4 figures...thats a big jump from the ES and its not for everybody. If I were buying and could only spend $45k...I likely would do a new ES over a used LS, I'm just not a used car guy. Thats a decision I made in 2003 and in 2010...

If you're concerned about size, I would look at a SWB LS vs an LS460L. The SWB is a big car, the LWB is really what makes it a ponderous car. The SWB car isn't that much bigger than the ES, its 200" long, the ES is 193.3", so is 6.9" longer.
Old 09-15-15, 08:50 PM
ESh888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, it would be a good move if you cough up the extra cash and get a 2013 LS model. The 2012 model will look really outdated in two years when the new LS model arrives.

Quick Reply: Going from 2014 ES 350 to 2012 LS 460L, is it a good move?