ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 es 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-15, 11:59 AM
Yippykiyaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
In my GX, at least some of the "real wood" pieces are actually a thin wood veneer laminated onto a plastic base. If you look closely, for example, at the pieces around the center vents, on the sides of those pieces, you can actually see the seam where the veneer has been glued to the plastic base, and, while the plastic base is colored similarly to the veneer on top of it, that plastic base has no grain. Also, on the GX board some time ago, someone posted a picture of one of the "wood" trim pieces that had been removed from a GX and cut in half, and, when you could see the cross section, you could clearly see that the wood veneer was mounted on top of a plastic base.

I can't tell for sure whether all of the pieces are made from a veneer laminated onto a plastic base, but, at least, some of the trim is that way. I also can't tell for sure whether the same is true for the "real wood" on my ES because you don't get the same cross section view of the pieces, but I would suspect that some or all of them have the same kind of veneer laminated onto a plastic base.

I've attached a picture of the trim around the vent on the GX. Again, on most of the pieces you don't see a side view/cross section that would show the veneer layer as clearly as it does on this piece.
Thanks Lesz for the info, I watched a Lexus video on their wood process and the wood was manufactured in very thin (looked to be about 1/8" thick) sheets. The wood was then die cut to match the base of the piece being manufactured. Whatever process they use in mating the wood to the base material must be incredible because I have never seen the wood peeling away from the base. Even in cars that have been in a flood!
Old 08-22-15, 12:15 PM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just happened to see the "How its made: Dream Cars" episode about the Bentley Continental GT Speed and they showed the process to make their center instrument panel insert.

Veneer is exactly what they use. It would be impossible to make shapes like sweeping curves, etc without using a veneer, so its not like its a cost cutting measure...its just how it is. The steering wheel can be made out of real wood because its a basic shape and cross-section. An instrument panel or dash inserts are "complex" shapes, so to make them out of real wood would be too hard.

I havent read up on the real wood in our ES350, but hearing it really is real wood is good enough for me. And even with the updated stuff in the '16, I think the '15 we bought a couple months ago is still a great value for what you get. Id be interested to see what parts could carry over from the 16 to the 15, should anyone want to spend the money.
Old 08-22-15, 12:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisexv6

Veneer is exactly what they use. It would be impossible to make shapes like sweeping curves, etc without using a veneer, so its not like its a cost cutting measure...its just how it is. The steering wheel can be made out of real wood because its a basic shape and cross-section. An instrument panel or dash inserts are "complex" shapes, so to make them out of real wood would be too hard.

My thinking was that you could make a piece like the one in the photo that I attached a few posts above with a piece of solid wood, but, because of the curvature of the piece, doing so would mean that there was a lot of wasted wood. By using a thin veneer on a piece like that, the thin veneer could easily be bent to conform to the shape of the curve of the dashboard.

I would guess that, on the ES, the pieces of trim on the dash are likely very thin veneer attached to a base. The pieces that are on the doors look like they could be solid wood, and I'd guess that the steering wheel and shifter **** are also solid wood. I would also guess that, on the 2016 ES, the trim on the re-designed console is a thin veneer.

Originally Posted by chrisexv6
Id be interested to see what parts could carry over from the 16 to the 15, should anyone want to spend the money.
Since the changes in the 2016 ES are changes to "trim", I would guess that most of the new parts, both in the exterior or the interior, in the 2016 ES would fit in a 2013-2015 ES, but I'm also confident that switching out those parts would be quite expensive. Further, such switching out of parts actually has a significant negative affect on re-sale value. While a vehicle owner might feel that switching to the 2016 parts makes the vehicle "better", when a vehicle is modified and uses parts that were not original equipment for the model and year of the vehicle, the re-sale value of that vehicle is negatively impacted.

Last edited by lesz; 08-22-15 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-22-15, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
In my GX, at least some of the "real wood" pieces are actually a thin wood veneer laminated onto a plastic base.
All automotive wood is done the same way, thats not unique to Lexus. There are several reasons for that, weight, keeps the wood from expanding and contracting with temperature and humidity, etc.

Thats why some of the wood steering wheels will get hairline cracks as they age. The steering wheels and shift ***** are solid.
Old 08-28-15, 12:37 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I forgot to add this improvement as well to post #29

Keys go back to the smooth plastic vs the cheap rough plastic

Old 08-28-15, 03:41 PM
user420
Driver

^^^ I kind of liked the textured finish better myself. Anyway, with the neat leather key covers that came with the vehicle I never paid much attention until reading your post.
Old 08-28-15, 04:03 PM
Lex222
Driver School Candidate

I was torn about waiting for a 2016 or getting a deal on a 2015.

Perhaps this is because I was coming from a Honda and not another Lexus, but when we compared the 2015 to the 2016, we didn't see much of a difference. The only thing that seemed better was the soft trim around the center console. Otherwise, I didn't think the other improvements made an appreciable difference. Maybe if I had been living with the older interior I would have been able to appreciate the improvements more, but that was not the case for me. So we took the deal and got a 2015. It helped that the dealer had a 2015 optioned the way I wanted it. I have to say I love the car.
Old 08-28-15, 04:37 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I forgot to add this improvement as well to post #29

Keys go back to the smooth plastic vs the cheap rough plastic
Not really seeing that as any type of improvement. Probably, more a change in vendor issue, than quality related.
Old 08-28-15, 04:39 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Not really seeing that as any type of improvement. Probably, more a change in vendor issue, than quality related.
I agree and let's face it...that's hardly a change to set the heart racing and make you want to run down to the dealer and place an order today.
Old 08-28-15, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Big improvement on the keys...
Old 08-28-15, 05:20 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Big improvement on the keys...
LOL!!!!!
Old 08-28-15, 05:43 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

No it was Lexus listening to our complaints . The 4GS debuted that rough plastic key design and the IS, RC, NX and ES all followed. The CT, RX and GX continued the smooth plastic key albeit in the shorter rounder style which debuted on the 2006 IS and GS. It's similar if not the same grade plastic again
Old 08-28-15, 05:54 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No it was Lexus listening to our complaints . The 4GS debuted that rough plastic key design and the IS, RC, NX and ES all followed. The CT, RX and GX continued the smooth plastic key albeit in the shorter rounder style which debuted on the 2006 IS and GS. It's similar if not the same grade plastic again
And the reason it's better, is???? I don't even realize I have the FOB on me. I put it in my pocket in the morning, and take it out in the evening. I don't get why making it "smooth" is an improvement. I would much rather that Lexus just implanted a chip in my arm and be done with it!
Old 08-28-15, 06:24 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not an entire list mind you, its merely observations I made today while test driving a 2016 ES350 with the luxury package. I just purchased a 16 ES 350 with the UL/ML with Atomic Silver with flaxen/bamboo interior. I pick it up Monday at Park Place Dominion in San Antonio. 1st 16 UL in; yay, claps hands, lol. Anyway, here are a few things I have noticed that's different inside.

ML stereo stayed the same, the one plus I did see, is I can remote start my ES with Enform remote. At least that what the salesman told me. Also the NAV is version 8 with 3d viewing and more split screens. I didn't have a chance to mess with the NAV. I did notice the reverse camera stayed the same and it does not turn when you turn the steering wheel. I was hoping it did. I did notice a better wide angle as in when you reverse you can actually see your rear bumper and get to within inches of backing into something. Not sure if my 13 had that due to it being white, but it seemed this one is better. Maybe its the same who knows.

The few things I did notice different in the interior other than the new steering wheel and new display.

1. New shifter with a leather boot. Feels very sporty and nice.
2. Leather on each side of the center stack. Was plastic before. Gives it a nice touch.
3. The NAV mouse now has buttons on each side so you can push the side button or the old pushing the mouse down.
4. New redesigned rear view mirror. Homelink buttons are hidden underneath.
5. Front lights where the moonroof operates are now LEDs and are touchless. You waive your hands apparently over them. Again that's what the salesman told me, they did look pretty cool.
6. The USB ports are switched on the inside of the center console. Lot easier now to connect your phones.
7. Lane departure is pretty cool, vibrates on the right side steering wheel or left side steering wheel depending on which side you veer to. Cameras are in the center grill and I think the front rear view mirror, I could be wrong about the cameras on the rear view mirror.
8. Pre-collision works great. Salesman had a female jump in front and the car, it stopped quickly. LOL, I would never try that.
9. Smart cruise is cool, but you still have the bulky cruise **** just like the old.
10. The key fobs now have leather covers not the cheesy rubber ones. $10.00 option, but your salesman can throw them in like he did mine, lol.
11. There is a new button for auto headlights by the parking assist button. I think that's for auto brights maybe? not 100% sure.

I think that is about it. The one I test drove was a demo with 17" bridgestones. Ride was very quiet. I hope my 18" come with Michelin's like m 13. Does anyone know if the wheels are the same as the 13-15? They say glossy version 18"?

Not sure if I love the rear muffler covers. Something just doesn't look right. I know why they didn't put them to close to the plastic rear part of the bumper, but it seems there is a large gap.

Front end, well, you either love it or HATE it. I personally like it, a bit much but all in all it looks pretty good. Love the dual-led's and fog light led's.

Will post a more thorough review next week.
Old 08-28-15, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2016 es 350

And the reason it's better, is???? I don't even realize I have the FOB on me. I put it in my pocket in the morning, and take it out in the evening. I don't get why making it "smooth" is an improvement. I would much rather that Lexus just implanted a chip in my arm and be done with it!
Part of owning a luxury vehicle is the quality in the details of that vehicle...same goes for any luxury item. The older Lexus keys I had on the 2010 ES were the smooth, slightly metallic, high quality looking and feeling plastic you see on the new key above. My 2013 GS had the same key as the 2013-2015 ES, and as soon as I saw it and felt it I commented to myself how much cheaper and lighter it felt than the old key. Isn't a big deal, it wouldn't stop me from buying the car, but it's nice to see Lexus understanding that the details matter in a luxury car, something I think they forgot a little bit there for a while.

The LS has an entirely different key with a big piece of metal down the side and leather on the back. Again...details matter and are appreciated by those who like quality things.

Quick Reply: 2016 es 350