Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

2016 ES300h versus Avalon Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 10:18 PM
AZ_Flash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 ES300h versus Avalon Limited

Here's a question that I'd appreciate some feedback on. I have a 2008 ES that I'm thinking of trading in for a 300H. However, a couple of things bug me about the ES 300H - primarily the small size of the trunk - meaning that our suitcases would not fit in the trunk - and if you can't take a nice new car on a trip, then you start questioning what it is that you're doing.

So, I've been looking online at the 2016 Avalon Hybrid Limited, and I'm extremely impressed with what is being offered on that Limited model. It's priced in the mid $40,000's, but it comes with the complete list of options that the Lexus offers - including a larger trunk.

The feedback I'm looking for are comparisons, advantages, and disadvantages between the Lexus 300H and the Avalon Limited.

I'd appreciate any observations and feedback that anyone might have. Thank you.
Old 07-27-15, 07:19 AM
AZ_Flash
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback, 5thAccord. I appreciate your comment. I've also had 5 Accords, My wife has a 2013 Accord and loves it.
Old 07-27-15, 08:26 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

I can get a couple of suitcases into my trunk...just get the right sized cases. The trunk is large enough for my needs (primarily golf clubs), as my es300h is my commuter car.
Old 07-27-15, 12:52 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

While I don't have an ES300h and I haven't done comparisons with the Avalon, I think that my experience with my ES350 allows me to add something worth considering.

With my ES350, while the overall cubic feet of room in the trunk provides space for a good amount of cargo, my issue with the trunk design is that, because of the way that the depth of the horizontal portion of the trunk lid is fairly short, when the trunk is open, there is not a whole lot of space for maneuvering boxes, luggage, etc. into the trunk. For example, while the trunk capacity would be much larger than the size of box that something like a microwave oven might come in, actually maneuvering it to get it into the trunk might be difficult. I know that there have been a few times when I've wanted to put something that should have been able to fit into the trunk space into the trunk, but I've had to put it into the back seat because I couldn't get it into the space available in the trunk opening.

I don't know whether the Avalon is any better, but a comparison, not just of trunk size, but of the trunk opening might be worth doing if that is important to you.
Old 07-27-15, 02:08 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Befor getting my Lexus, I carefully compared the ES300h to the Avalon Limited Hybrid. While I like both, the main "pro" of the Avalon was real leather as opposed to pleather on the Lexus. I was okay with both styles and interiors. Lexus has a better level of service and ownership experience, and warranty, as well as cache. Actually, because of the more limited availability of the Avalon (no pun), I ended up getting a better deal for the Lexus, so it was a "no brainer".

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-30-15 at 07:18 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-27-15, 03:48 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
While I like both, the main "pro" of the Avalon was real leather as opposed to pleather on the Lexus.
Sure the Avalon gets standard leather seats, but the quality of the leather might be equivalent to the Nuluxe in the Lexus. You have to step up in trim (Limited) to get better leather and ventilation/heated, and it probably isn't as nice as the semi-aniline leather in the Ultra Luxury ES. In the ES300h, you're not stuck with just Nuluxe; you can get leather in the Luxury package and better leather in the Ultra Luxury package, along with other goodies not available in the Avalon.

The interior is much nicer in the ES than the Avalon though. Just look at the dash design. I wouldn't base a car purchase on just the size of the trunk. After all, how often does someone really fill it up with large pieces of luggage. I'd say test drive both and see which you like more. If trunk space is such a concern, either ask for an ES300h (loaner) to test drive for a few days or bring your luggage to the dealer to try. I'm sure you'll find the ES to be more refined (ride and interior quality) than the Avalon. And as others have mentioned, the dealer experience is much better (as you might already know since you own one).
Old 07-27-15, 04:45 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Toyota is a very clever company. It will always position an entry level Lexus (300h) at just slightly higher quality than its premium Toyota (Avalon). This will show through NVH, material quality and design. If the price is similar then I say spring for a new set of luggage which fits in the 300h and take it to the long trip. You will love it. The 300h is superb on the highway and just eats the miles effortlessly at 80mph. The gas tank is so large that the nature stops are far more frequent than the fuel stops.
Old 07-28-15, 01:18 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

well I can't speak to the 300h or the avalon hybrid specifically, but I can tell you I had an 07 Avalon, never had a serious issue with the car, and it had a nice ride once I went to MIchlin tires... right before I bought my es in January of last year, I test drove a new Avalon... In my opinion it didn't hold a candle to my 07... the new one had a pretty stiff ride and it wasn't nearly as quiet in the cabin as my older avalon.... both of those issues were non existent when I went to the es..... but if you travel a lot, the smaller trunk could be a deal breaker.
Old 07-31-15, 12:49 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
The 300h is superb on the highway and just eats the miles effortlessly at 80mph.
What is your average MPG @ 80mph? I live in Arizona and drive about 30k miles per year at 80-82mph on the freeway long-distance.
Old 07-31-15, 04:57 PM
AZ_Flash
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2008 ES350. Typically on the highway I drive at around 75, and get around 31 - 32 mpg. I also live in Arizona.
Old 07-31-15, 07:45 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was getting around 35-36 mpg driving normally(meaning that I wouldn't do any crazy hyper-miler things or baby the throttle when I needed to accelerate or pass someone. I also kept it on cruise control), and in normal mode, when I had the 2014 ES300h at 75-80mph.
Old 07-31-15, 08:45 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The ES300h has a small trunk with a weird shape - it's wide but narrow and not very tall because of the full size spare tire underneath and the hybrid battery pack behind the seats. I can usually fit one large suitcase although smaller backpacks will squeeze in fine around that. Failing that you could always use the passenger compartment
Old 07-31-15, 09:20 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by 355F1
What is your average MPG @ 80mph? I live in Arizona and drive about 30k miles per year at 80-82mph on the freeway long-distance.
Around 35-36mpg on high speed cruise on the highway. I keep it in normal mode because I feel the the Eco mode does not have enough torque for passing and even adjusting speed during lane changes. In fact I pop it into power mode for lane changes and passing and then back to normal mode for cruise. Eco mode is very relaxing for city driving. A quick merge is safer in power mode even in the city. I easily get around 40mpg (during the summer) in the city and 35-36 on the highway. This with the A/C going full blast. I like to keep cool :-)
Old 08-01-15, 08:34 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
Around 35-36mpg on high speed cruise on the highway. I keep it in normal mode because I feel the the Eco mode does not have enough torque for passing and even adjusting speed during lane changes. In fact I pop it into power mode for lane changes and passing and then back to normal mode for cruise. Eco mode is very relaxing for city driving. A quick merge is safer in power mode even in the city. I easily get around 40mpg (during the summer) in the city and 35-36 on the highway. This with the A/C going full blast. I like to keep cool :-)
Just so you know, having the AC is not very relevant to gas mileage in a hybrid, compared to the conventional setup, because the AC compressor is powered by an electric motor rather than being powered by the engine and having a separate fuel mapping when the AC is on. That's why your AC can be running while you're sitting there with the gas engine off.
Old 08-01-15, 03:31 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by NickTee
Just so you know, having the AC is not very relevant to gas mileage in a hybrid, compared to the conventional setup, because the AC compressor is powered by an electric motor rather than being powered by the engine and having a separate fuel mapping when the AC is on. That's why your AC can be running while you're sitting there with the gas engine off.
Yes, and I love that about the hybrid in the summer, especially when I am waiting for the kids outside!

Quick Reply: 2016 ES300h versus Avalon Limited