ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Potential Buyer. Need your opinion

Old 07-22-15, 05:25 AM
Chaseui14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Buyer. Need your opinion

Listen I'm new and unsure of how questions like this are handled on this board. I went to the dealership to purchase a 2013 RX but happened to see this ES and liked it. So I left to think about it but now I'm set to possibly buy this car tomorrow and recently found this board.

So it's a 2013 Lexus ES 300H
$30k
34k miles

It's this a good deal?
I've never bought a car with so miles. My 4Runner had 5k when I bought it. And my accord was practically new. I need this car to be depende with little out of pocket expenses for at least 6 years. Thoughts.
Old 07-22-15, 06:03 AM
Nole
Driver School Candidate

Is it certified? Does it have nav?
If it has nav, BSM, etc and it is certified a price of $30K out of the door is good.
From my research that is. I am looking at non hybrid which are priced less than what you are looking at.
Old 07-22-15, 06:06 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

The cost of the car all depends on the options on it. Find those out and go to kbb.com to get a value. 2013 ES300h models ranged from about $39k to $50k new.
Old 07-22-15, 06:16 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
The cost of the car all depends on the options on it. Find those out and go to kbb.com to get a value. 2013 ES300h models ranged from about $39k to $50k new.
As a comparison you can also go to cars.com and see asking prices for similarly equipped cars located within a few hundred miles.
Old 07-22-15, 06:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

As others have pointed out the (fair) price for a 2013 ES300h could well vary by several thousand dollars depending on how the vehicle is equipped, its condition, mileage, etc. There can even be a fair amount of variance depending on the region where the vehicle is being sold. Without all of that information, it really isn't possible to give a meaningful guess as to what a fair price would be.

Besides the sources mentioned by others, another good source would be Edmunds.com. You can input all of the relevant information regarding the vehicle's mileage, condition, options, region, etc., and it should give you a good idea of what the vehicle is worth in a sale from a private party or dealer or as a CPO vehicle.

One other thing that I would definitely check out if I was in the market for a used ES would be its ownership history, and I'd have a strong bias toward buying a vehicle that was privately owned. If a vehicle had a history of being a service loaner, other fleet vehicle, rental vehicle, etc., I'd likely steer clear because, when a vehicle has had lots of drivers, the odds are that some of them have not been gentle with the way that they have driven and used the vehicle.

With regard to the vehicle having 34,000 miles on it, if it is otherwise in good condition, I wouldn't worry about that too much. With the way vehicles are being built today, at 34,000 miles, it is barely broken in, and that is especially true for the very dependable vehicles being built by Lexus and Toyota.

I also wouldn't be especially concerned about trying to find a CPO vehicle. If you do buy one, you will be paying about $2500 more than if you bought the same vehicle from the same dealer but it wasn't certified, and, regardless of whether the vehicle is a CPO vehicle or not, you still get the remainder of the factory warranty, which should give you plenty of time to become aware of any issues that would be likely to cause the vehicle to be one that would have long-term repair issues. Dealers love to sell CPO vehicles because they are especially high-profit sales, but the value of the added warranty coverage that comes with a CPO vehicle is only a small fraction of the mark up in the price that you would be paying for it. For about the same price that you would pay for a 2013 CPO ES, you could buy a 2014 non-CPO ES, which would have 1 year less wear and tear, fewer miles, and one more year of factory warranty coverage. And, that 2014 ES will be worth more than the 2013 when it comes time to sell it or trade it in.

Last edited by lesz; 07-22-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-22-15, 10:19 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Check out the sites recommended by the other members and add NADA. What I do is take the numbers from the various sites (3) and average them out to get a pretty good idea of the vehicle's value. You will see some variance in prices from each of the web sites. Good Luck!

KBB - Edmund's - NADA
Old 07-22-15, 11:05 AM
Chaseui14
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I've checked 3 of the sites thus far. Also the other option is the same car with 15K for $34,000. They both have the same features such as BSM, heated steering wheel, park assist, navi. I assumed this was all standard. I'll keep you posted
Old 07-22-15, 01:33 PM
rrr757
Driver School Candidate

I got mine in TX with those same options, without heated steering wheel with 35K miles for 29K but more money on my trade in. Been loving the car, its our second ES. As others state dont worry about the CPO, you have the option if you choose and think you might have problems to purchase an extended warranty through Lexus before 4yr/50K (PM me for info or search the boards) Its actually a better option in my opinion over buying a CPO vehicle. My first ES vehicle was a CPO Demo aka service loaner.... drove it a 110K before trading it in for my ES300h, nothing but oil changes. I think 30K is a good deal, most places have them mid 30's and those were CPO. I found the one I got wasnt CPO'ed but in much better condition. Good luck!!!
Old 07-22-15, 07:40 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

You can also check truecar.com. They provide local prices.
Old 07-23-15, 03:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,050 Likes on 687 Posts

In today's world 34,000 miles is just getting broken in. This is my first Lexus and wives second. Prior I owned many many Acura's that I drove over 150,000 trouble free miles. Lexus is even more reliable. I just bought your exact car with the same mileage. I paid $32,000 and the car looks like new and they had just put on a new pair of Michelin's and it is certified.

Coming from an Acura RL that I loved I can say very surprisingly that I don't miss it. I love the interior, exterior, ride and of course the 38 mpg's.

I ordered from Lexus Parts World several air filters, cabin air filters, wiper blade inserts, and oil filters. I used promotion code cl5 for a 10% discount. The filters combined take five minutes to change. The wiper blades about the same. I went to Walmart and bought Mobil 1 in a five quart jug with 0-20w. This is about $24. I just took my filter and oil to a Toyota dealership that charged me $15 labor for the oil change.

Now that the maintenance is done I used a clay bar and Zaino wax Z2. Than on to their leather cleaner and leather in a bottle conditioner. These can only be ordered on line. As I said mine at 35,000 miles looks better than new.

Enjoy your new ride!!!
Old 07-26-15, 12:45 PM
R50
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chaseui14
Listen I'm new and unsure of how questions like this are handled on this board. I went to the dealership to purchase a 2013 RX but happened to see this ES and liked it. So I left to think about it but now I'm set to possibly buy this car tomorrow and recently found this board.

So it's a 2013 Lexus ES 300H
$30k
34k miles

It's this a good deal?
I've never bought a car with so miles. My 4Runner had 5k when I bought it. And my accord was practically new. I need this car to be depende with little out of pocket expenses for at least 6 years. Thoughts.
I recently purchased a 2013 ES300h with 13,800 miles for $29000. For the 2 months I've owned it, I've put ~3500 miles on it. From previous experiences with my old hybrid (CT200h), the Lexus hybrids are very reliable with extremely low maintenance costs.
Old 07-26-15, 01:06 PM
Chaseui14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by R50
I recently purchased a 2013 ES300h with 13,800 miles for $29000. For the 2 months I've owned it, I've put ~3500 miles on it. From previous experiences with my old hybrid (CT200h), the Lexus hybrids are very reliable with extremely low maintenance costs.
Wow. thats a deal.

So the deal didn't go through as someone else bought the car. So now, I'm seriously considering a:
ES 300H
15K miles
$33,000

Navi
BSM
Park Assist
HID Lights
Heated Seats etc.

The only thing I wish it had was the Certified 3 yr/100,000 warranty
Old 07-26-15, 01:20 PM
R50
Driver School Candidate

Wow. thats a deal.

So the deal didn't go through as someone else bought the car. So now, I'm seriously considering a:
ES 300H
15K miles
$33,000

Navi
BSM
Park Assist
HID Lights
Heated Seats etc.

It took almost 3 weeks to get to that price. Mine however doesn't have navigation or the blind spot monitoring. It has the luxury package if I'm not mistaken. I may have gotten that price because the vehicle sat on the lot for a little over 2 months. As the dealer told me, hybrids are hard to sell in the Carolinas
Old 07-26-15, 01:52 PM
Chaseui14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by R50
It took almost 3 weeks to get to that price. Mine however doesn't have navigation or the blind spot monitoring. It has the luxury package if I'm not mistaken. I may have gotten that price because the vehicle sat on the lot for a little over 2 months. As the dealer told me, hybrids are hard to sell in the Carolinas
Why is that?

I've gotten this guy to reduce the price by $1000 but I thats it. One dealer wouldnt budget at all. Another dealer gave me a $200 discount. huh??? that didnt even cover the doc fee.
Old 07-26-15, 02:41 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by R50
Why is that?

What, more than anything else, will cause a used ES to sit on the lot for an extended period of time and what will, eventually, end up leading to a significant price reduction is the lack of a navigation system. Those shopping for a used ES are expecting things like a navigation system. They either don't want to or can't afford to buy a new ES, but, when they see that they can buy a used Toyota, Buick, etc. with an attractive array of options, including a navigation system, for less than they would have to pay for a used ES without those goodies, the demand for the ES and its selling price go way down.

As I said in my earlier post, I think your are better off without the ES certification. If you buy the non-CPO ES that you are looking at now, you will still have 1-2 years and 35,000 miles of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. You will still have 4-5 years and 55,000 miles left on the the factory power train warranty, and any expensive repairs are more likely than not going to be covered by that power train warranty. And you will still have 5-6 years and 85,000 miles left on the warranty for the hybrid components. Even without the CPO certification the chances that you are going to have to pay for out-of-pocket repairs an amount of money that exceeds or even comes close to the $2500 or so extra that you will pay for a CPO vehicle are quite small. Dealers love to sell CPO vehicles because the up-charge for them is virtually pure profit.

Last edited by lesz; 07-26-15 at 02:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential Buyer. Need your opinion